The Rugby Championship (or Four Nations if you like)

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

The Rugby Championship (or Four Nations if you like)

Post by TerenureJim »

Only a few days left to kick off of the new Tri-Nations with a little Latin flavour finally added. Seems to be very little press coverage (understadnable given the Olympics) and very little publicity from Sky.

How are people feeling about the games, could we see a few upsets from Argentina? Will NZ continue to be allowed to play to rules just slightly different to everyone else? Will Richie McCaw ever get a bloody yellow card?
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Re: The Rugby Championship (or Four Nations if you like)

Post by Morf »

TerenureJim wrote:Will Richie McCaw ever get a bloody yellow card?
Another one?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Looking at the Argentinian team, it's going to be a very tough championship for them.

I hope they start well on Saturday but I can't imagine they'll be in great shape by the time they get to the end, pity they couldn't have started with a home game too.

Argentina: 15 Lucas González Amorosino, 14 Gonzalo Camacho, 13 Marcelo Bosch, 12 Santiago Fernández, 11 Horacio Agulla, 10 Juan Martín Hernández, 9 Nicolás Vergallo, 8 Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (c), 7 Álvaro Galindo, 6 Julio Farías Cabello, 5 Patricio Albacete, 4 Manuel Carizza, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Eusebio Guiñazú, 1 Rodrigo Roncero.
Replacements: 16 Bruno Postiglioni, 17 Marcos Ayerza, 18 Juan Pablo Orlandi, 19 Tomás Leonardi, 20 Leonardo Senatore, 21 Martín Landajo, 22 Martín Rodríguez.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Says it all really:
All Blacks lock Brodie Retallick is expecting a more physical Test match to his previous three when New Zealand take on Australia in Sydney on Saturday.

Retallick made his All Blacks debut against Ireland in June following some steller performances for the Chiefs, and is once again expected to partner Sam Whitelock in New Zealand's second row for the opening match of the Rugby Championship.

"It's been a bit of a blur all right. It's been a hell of a ride so far," Retallick told AAP.
"I just hope I can keep it going for another month or so.
"Bledisloe Cup is something you grow up watching on TV so it's definitely pretty exciting."

Following the All Blacks' series sweep against Ireland, Retallick predicts the Wallabies to be a significant step up from that 3-0 whitewash.

"They'll probably be a lot faster and more physical than the Irish were," he said.
"From Super Rugby, you know the Aussies like to play a quick game. I think it will be a step up from June, just the speed of the game.
Dont Panic!
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Stupid name for the tournament and possibly the mankiest trophy ever.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 75,00.html

The good thing about the Tri-Nations was that it was on in the summer when they was no other rugby on. With our season starting in two weeks though, this lessens it's appeal. TBH I find it hard to get excited about SH rugby these days for some reason. I'll probably still watch it, but I won't be going out of my way.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:Stupid name for the tournament and possibly the mankiest trophy ever.

The good thing about the Tri-Nations was that it was on in the summer when they was no other rugby on. With our season starting in two weeks though, this lessens it's appeal. TBH I find it hard to get excited about SH rugby these days for some reason. I'll probably still watch it, but I won't be going out of my way.
It seems to be getting very little coverage, the Super Rugby championship went off with a whimper, Sky gave it pretty bare bones coverage and it doesn't look like they're doing much to publicise the new Tri-Nations. I'd say it'll go off without much of a trace with all the domestic stuff kicking off here in two weeks and the bohemeth that is Premiership Football now back as well to take over the airwaves.

Also I dunno why they didn't just use the same trophy but engrave it differently.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Stupid name for the tournament and possibly the mankiest trophy ever.

It seems to be getting very little coverage, the Super Rugby championship went off with a whimper, Sky gave it pretty bare bones coverage and it doesn't look like they're doing much to publicise the new Tri-Nations. I'd say it'll go off without much of a trace with all the domestic stuff kicking off here in two weeks and the bohemeth that is Premiership Football now back as well to take over the airwaves.

Also I dunno why they didn't just use the same trophy but engrave it differently.
It only had the three legs, one in each countries colours. Ok, they could have soldered on another one but they've obviously gone for a spittoon.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Post by Leinster Lout »

Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Anthony Fainga'a, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Will Genia, 8 Scott Higginbotham, 7 David Pocock (capt), 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements: 16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Radike Samo, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Drew Mitchell.

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Ma'a Nonu, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (capt), 6 Liam Messam, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Andrew Hore, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Brodie Retallick, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Ben Smith.

That NZ team is one of their strongest for a long time. Awesome looking backline. It's a decent Aussie team and I think Pocock can better McCaw but NZ should destroy that minus 5 handicap.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Strong words...

"Coach Robbie Deans has opted to start with just six of the 15 who started the World Cup semi-final in Auckland 10 months ago.

“You’d think he’s either admitted to himself he got it wrong for the semi-final or he wants to play a different game and doesn’t have the confidence in those guys to do it,” said New Zealand coach Steve Hansen, who has won all three games the All Blacks have played since he replaced Graham Henry."
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Can't see this going well for Australia. That NZ team looks awesome and there's a lot of weak points in the Oz one.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Can't see this going well for Australia. That NZ team looks awesome and there's a lot of weak points in the Oz one.
Agreed. If that ends up being the team that lines up against the Lions, we will have a great shot at a series win. If the Lions lined up against that NZ team, we would be whitewashed.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Leinster Lout wrote:Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Anthony Fainga'a, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Will Genia, 8 Scott Higginbotham, 7 David Pocock (capt), 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.
Replacements: 16 Stephen Moore, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Radike Samo, 20 Michael Hooper, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Drew Mitchell.

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Ma'a Nonu, 12 Sonny Bill Williams, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Daniel Carter, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (capt), 6 Liam Messam, 5 Samuel Whitelock, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Keven Mealamu, 1 Tony Woodcock.
Replacements: 16 Andrew Hore, 17 Ben Franks, 18 Brodie Retallick, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Piri Weepu, 21 Aaron Cruden, 22 Ben Smith.

That NZ team is one of their strongest for a long time. Awesome looking backline. It's a decent Aussie team and I think Pocock can better McCaw but NZ should destroy that minus 5 handicap.
No Conrad Smith? Is he out injured, I'd haev him in the side ahead of Nonu & SBW any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

TerenureJim wrote:
Leinster Lout wrote:Australia: 15 Kurtley Beale, 14 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 13 Rob Horne, 12 Anthony Fainga'a, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 Berrick Barnes, 9 Will Genia, 8 Scott Higginbotham, 7 David Pocock (capt), 6 Dave Dennis, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 Sitaleki Timani, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Tatafu Polota Nau, 1 Benn Robinson.

No Conrad Smith? Is he out injured, I'd haev him in the side ahead of Nonu & SBW any day of the week and twice on Saturdays.

Detached retina, will be out for a while. Hence the NZRU picking SBW even though he technically hes a foreign player, as he plays in japan now.
*Edit: Out for first two games, http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all- ... in-capital
BOD is GOD!
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Really interested to see how the Bargies get on. Think they could easily rough up the aussie pretty boys. Maybe scare NZ in BA and thats it. Going forward their will be intriguing to see their development and a possible channge in tactics.
Is their a under 20's version of this comp or anything like this on that side of the world - are the argies going to be involved in this?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Can't see this going well for Australia. That NZ team looks awesome and there's a lot of weak points in the Oz one.
been all over the -4 this week. They'll be murdered in the centres, McCabe is a major loss defensively
dropkickrugby.com/forum, Us lot bet on rugby
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Handling in this match is very poor
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

Donny B. wrote:Handling in this match is very poor
both teams definitely rusty but I wasnt overly impressed with New Zealand. Theyre beatable
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

I didn't see the game but I got a text from a kiwi mate complaining that Rolland was terrible. I'd be interested to know the views of anyone who watched it, whether he was actually poor or whether he just gave some unpopular decisions.
Dont Panic!
thepunter
Bookworm

Post by thepunter »

gave unpopular decisions to against both teams, he was slightly anal at times, but i didnt see him put a foot wrong. New Zealanders probably unhappy at him giving 3 or 4 penalties against them for going off their feet when counter rucking- YES, they were getting massive bodies there, but they weren't staying on their feet after driving through and despite the fact they looked like they SHOULD have got the ball, they were illegal.

I guess what im trying to say is that to the untrained eye, they did nothing wrong and all good work...had they jsut stayed legal, they would hev been golden.

On the other side there were harsh but fair decisions , like when Rolland penalised genia once for stanading within ten of their own lineout i think.

ANyway, he had a good game did Rolland, Kiwis had nothing to moan about.