#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Argentina Ranking

Post by johng »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_end-o ... nion_tests

Handy and comprehensive page for the full listing.
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Xanthippe wrote:
Spoilsport
I agree. I still choose to believe that you did the maths in your head.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

TheBear wrote:
Xanthippe wrote:
Spoilsport
I agree. I still choose to believe that you did the maths in your head.
I'm honest enough to admit I don't do the maths in my head but, before sites like the one John listed started to appear, I did design my own excel spreadsheet which was able to work out ranking points which means that I actually do know how the ranking system works.

I'm also a bit of a numbers nerd - and I'm not just talking about stats here - I can help working out the potential outcomes of various events. For example, now that The Rugby Championship is over and almost all the rankings are set for the autumn internationals, I have started working out every potential ranking outcome for Ireland, Scotland and Argentina.

Yes I know, I'm a sad, sad person and I need to get a life!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Well done Xanthippe, I share your cross.

The problem is that we have the Saffas and the Argies have Wales and France before us (although some sites are showing that game as a home Argentina game with no venue yet nominated) - the latter to be played somewhere in deepest southern France - possible Montpelier, Marseilles or Bordeaux.

If perchance, and it's a very long perchance, we and Argentina are on the same ranking points as now, a home draw would be enough to keep us ahead of them, so long as SA do not do a number on us in XS of 15 points.

However, the relative performances of Scotland, Wales, France, South Africa and Argentina will all come to bear before we play Argentina, so calculations by even Einstein would require very significant assumptions which cannot be verified before our actual game. But some things are certain e.g. even if we beat SA and Argentina at home by more than 15 points we won't catch Wales in 6th place.................unless they suffer four defeats by more than 15 points each - slightly unlikely as Samoa are one of their opponents, but the others are Argentina, Australia and NZ.

IMO, the real surprise could come if Scotland could do a number on S Africa, which could see them leapfrog Argentina into 8th place.....so long as Argentina don't beat France on the same day.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Well done Xanthippe, I share your cross.

IMO, the real surprise could come if Scotland could do a number on S Africa, which could see them leapfrog Argentina into 8th place.....so long as Argentina don't beat France on the same day.
We better pray that does not happen because I really do not want to be second seed in a group where Argentina are the third seed with a few years development in the four national or whatever they call it. I would like to avoid France and NZ as first seeds and Argentina as third seeds after that I am happy to take on anyone, though not personally of course.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

it's a few years off as SANZAR have shanked Argentina with S15/tv deals but they have La Pampas (comprised of semi pros from Argentina) winning the Vodacom Cup so when Argentina have a super rugby side or two and/or most of their players playing regularly in super rugby they are going to be one serious outfit and will be turning over home nations on a regular basis
Last edited by simonokeeffe on October 11th, 2012, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

simonokeeffe wrote:it's a few years off as SANZAR have shanked Argentina with S15/tv deals but they have La Pampas winning 2nd tier of Currie Cup so when Argentina have a super rugby side or two and/or most of their players playing regularly in super rugby they are going to be one serious outfit and will be turning over home nations on a regular basis
Graham Henry seems to be consulting on the coaching side too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

They're not having too many problems with a team that seems to be able to beat us in its sleep - they're even able to bring on Juan Gomez and take a tighthead scrum
I have Bumbleflex
Bite and Belloq
Learner

Post by Bite and Belloq »

Their backrow have been sensational - with Fernandez-Lobbe and Leguizmon in the van all day and for both tries. Particularly enjoyed Leguizmon's 'giddley' in the build up to the first although Romain Poite might have called Romaine Poite for crossing.
Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bite and Belloq wrote:Their backrow have been sensational - with Fernandez-Lobbe and Leguizmon in the van all day and for both tries. Particularly enjoyed Leguizmon's 'giddley' in the build up to the first although Romain Poite might have called Romaine Poite for crossing.
F-L just got MOTM and well deserved it was too
I have Bumbleflex
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

They are now up to 80.29; ahead of us for now, but if we beat SA (cross fingers), we'd be ahead of them and Wales.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Bite and Belloq wrote:Their backrow have been sensational - with Fernandez-Lobbe and Leguizmon in the van all day and for both tries. Particularly enjoyed Leguizmon's 'giddley' in the build up to the first although Romain Poite might have called Romaine Poite for crossing.
F-L just got MOTM and well deserved it was too

Phenomenal performance from Lobbe........
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
Bite and Belloq
Learner

Dave Cahill wrote:F-L just got MOTM and well deserved it was too
Absolutely. Warburton's stock is falling faster than facebook's now and Turnbull was compltely out of his depth. Honourable mention for Faletau though.
Marta was watching the game with me when she said, "You know, most of these sports are based on the idea of one group protecting its territory from invasion by another group." "Yeah," I said, trying not to laugh. Girls are funny.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Bite and Belloq wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:F-L just got MOTM and well deserved it was too
Absolutely. Warburton's stock is falling faster than facebook's now and Turnbull was compltely out of his depth. Honourable mention for Faletau though.
Yet again we've seen that if you get up into North and Cuthberts faces and stop them getting up to pace, they have very little to offer.
I have Bumbleflex
Bite and Belloq
Learner

How good were Camacho and Imhoff?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

The curious sound you are hearing is that of Declan Kidney's sphincter contracting. Normally when we play Argentina in the autumn, it's the first time they've seen each other in six months. Now with the Four Nations they're clearly a well-drilled outfit.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Donny B. wrote:The curious sound you are hearing is that of Declan Kidney's sphincter contracting. Normally when we play Argentina in the autumn, it's the first time they've seen each other in six months. Now with the Four Nations they're clearly a well-drilled outfit.
:D you can hear it clear as a bell on Tyneside.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Donny B. wrote:The curious sound you are hearing is that of Declan Kidney's sphincter contracting. Normally when we play Argentina in the autumn, it's the first time they've seen each other in six months. Now with the Four Nations they're clearly a well-drilled outfit.
I thought it was a supersonic jet going overhead, coz it sounded like a sonic boom
I have Bumbleflex