Ireland v Argentine AI 2012

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Ireland v Argentine AI 2012

Post by Oldschool »

Wales were too cocky and thought they'd win at a canter. Argentina didn't appear to know that Wales are the 6Ns champions, how dare they?
It'll be tough against the Argies and if Dekko doesn't correct the flaws in his selection and tactics, then the Argies will move up the IRB pecking order.
If Dekko gets his selection wrong (AGAIN) the tactics won't matter and visa versa.

Mentioning pecking orders:- Based on availability and Form.
1. Healy, Court
2. Strauss, Cronin
3. Ross, Bent
4. Ryan, Touhy
5. McCarthy, Toner
6. McLoughlin. POM
7, Henry, A.N.Other
8. Heaslip, Some. One. Else
9. Marshall, Reddan
10. Sexton, Madigan/Jackson
11. Zebo, D. Kearney
12. D'Arcy, McFadden (McShaary)
13. Cave, You. Tell. Me.
14. Bowe, Gilroy
15. Earls, O'Halloran
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Leinster Lout
Graduate

Re: Ireland v Argentine AI 2012

Post by Leinster Lout »

We'll beat Fiji by 17 points despite a poor start and not being nearly clinical enough, which Deccie's shiny head will merrily excuse due to exciting new combinations such as the back 3 of Denis Hurley, Johne Murphy and Mossie Lawlor. But as for Argentina, I'd go:

1 Healy - can't rate him highly enough.
2 Strauss - ditto. What a man
3 Ross - now that Bent seems like a viable option, Rossy should come off after 60 ish
4 McCarthy - physicality and work rate were v good
5 O'Connell (hopefully??)
6 Henderson. POM is a good player and prospect but I don't really see much reason for all the hype. If Locky was in any form I'd start him, but he's playing poorly.
7 Henry
8 Heaslip
9 Marshall - deserves a go considering everyone else is playing shite. Could bring much needed urgency
10 Sexton
11 Gilroy - for all of Trimble's work-rate, he doesn't have the skills or footballing ability as others. Maybe this is a harsh perception but I've never been a fan
12 Hanrahan. Believe the hype. A consummate footballer and looks to have the temperament to be thrown straight in. Darce is still good enough but something new and different required
13 Earls. I'd give him another chance. Seems too eager to impress
14 Bowe
15 Zebo

16 Cronin
17 Kilcoyne
18 Bent
19 Ryan
20 POM
21 Reddan
22 Madigan
23 McFadden

Completely unrealistic selection there and backline lacking in experience but just my 2 cents
Jackie Brown
Knowledgeable

Post by Jackie Brown »

Leinster Lout, D'Arcy is not good enough.

I like the look of that team though.
STAND UP FOR THE ULSTERMEN!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

D'arcy is comfortably still the best intl standard 12 we have. plenty nipping at his heels, but still the best until at least the end of this season.

He is obviously ageing and can't go forever. The people nipping at his heels are improving all the time......

Rumours of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

It's really difficult to judge the backs on Saturday's effort but he was no better nor worse than Earls. Both were adequate.

The one who is very lucky to be undroppable in the back line is Bowe. Unlike all the high balls he attempted to field. They were very droppable. And were. Ever durn one. That said, I like that team. Only I'd like to find a replacement for Heaslip in it as well.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

fourthirtythree wrote:It's really difficult to judge the backs on Saturday's effort but he was no better nor worse than Earls. Both were adequate.

The one who is very lucky to be undroppable in the back line is Bowe. Unlike all the high balls he attempted to field. They were very droppable. And were. Ever durn one. That said, I like that team. Only I'd like to find a replacement for Heaslip in it as well.
This is where POM should see more time for Ireland!
Great piece by "The Mole" RE:same
Linky
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Peg Leg wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:It's really difficult to judge the backs on Saturday's effort but he was no better nor worse than Earls. Both were adequate.

This is where POM should see more time for Ireland!
Great piece by "The Mole" RE:same
Linky
Much as I dislike disagreeing with the Mole, he left one thing out and its a glaring inadequacy in O'Mahoneys game as an 8, and its a key element of the eighthmans game that is always forgotten, the ability to control the ball at the back of the scrum. Until he demonstrates that he has this, and so far for Munster hes demonstrated that he hasn't, then he should no more be played at 8 than he should at hooker.
I have Bumbleflex
Fred Funk
Mullet

Post by Fred Funk »

Dare I say it, Roger Wilson. Improved over in England, MOM last week. 31 now, but has a mature head on him now.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Much as I dislike disagreeing with the Mole, he left one thing out and its a glaring inadequacy in O'Mahoneys game as an 8, and its a key element of the eighthmans game that is always forgotten, the ability to control the ball at the back of the scrum. Until he demonstrates that he has this, and so far for Munster hes demonstrated that he hasn't, then he should no more be played at 8 than he should at hooker.
Mole's arguments are persuasive. Unfortunately O'Mahoney's performances at 8 are far more persuasive and you wouldn't have him near the irish jersey now. I watched him against Ospreys for example. I shudder to think what that form brought to an Irish team would do.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Wrong thread..
Last edited by tones on November 12th, 2012, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

Myteam v Argentina
15 earls
14 bowe
13 cave
12 darcy
11 zebo
10 sexton
9 Marshall
8 heaslip
7 Henry
6 Wilson
5 Ryan
4 McCarthy
3 Ross
2 Strauss
Healy
1cronin
17 court
18 bent
19 Henderson
20 Jennings
21 Murray
21 Jackson
21 McFadden

I'd bring Wilson in to give us another carrier, we couldn't break the gainline at all on Saturday, zebo back to the wing as that's were he's going to play long term.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Good to see POM not there.. He'd struggle to get his game at Lienster or Ulster tbh. I'd make a change at scrum-half either personnel or instructions. The performance of a scrum half has such a huge bearing on what an out-half can do & by extension the back-line. I'd keep Strauss there ahead of Cronin -felt he did very well and did alot of work as an auxilliary flanker.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Boss @ 9 for me
Daniel Sullivan
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

johng wrote:D'arcy is comfortably still the best intl standard 12 we have. plenty nipping at his heels, but still the best until at least the end of this season.

He is obviously ageing and can't go forever. The people nipping at his heels are improving all the time......

Rumours of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
Agreed. He gets a lot of stick but he is far more reliable than the rest. His defence is particularly good and he still has the ability to slip a tackle and make a few yards.

Luke Marshall has been hyped up but personally I have yet to see anything to warrant an international start in a game against strong opposition. McFadden would be next in line for the 12 shirt imo but he's still behind D'Arcy for Leinster, which tells you something.
We're all red on the inside.
gfo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by gfo »

D'arcy gets unsolicited abuse from certain quarters in the same Dr Phil used to get it.

As an aside, is it wrong to cheer for Felipe in this match?
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

gfo wrote:D'arcy gets unsolicited abuse from certain quarters in the same Dr Phil used to get it.

Yes, as he'll be out injured
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

O'Connell and Fez ruled out but we saw that coming, Reddan doubtful. Argentina missing a few bodies for this one and may be worn out after French match which they will really be up for. If we get nervous/cagey we're in trouble

One or two problem positions problematic as natural successors behind the incumbents or others at provincial level, or not pushing them to bench
Left wing: Trimble/Gilroy (although fit RK solves that)
12: Darcy/McFadden
3rd Scrumhalf: Pienaar/Marshall
Sub outhalf: ROG/Keatley

POC injury opens way/justifies continued selection of DOC
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Munsterboy wrote: Luke Marshall has been hyped up but personally I have yet to see anything to warrant an international start in a game against strong opposition. McFadden would be next in line for the 12 shirt imo but he's still behind D'Arcy for Leinster, which tells you something.
I would agree with that. Poor aul Ferg has the James Hook/Keith Earls curse. Too useful in too many places.

I know other countries promote their players earlier than us, but I think people like Hanrahan, Marshall x 2, Keatley and Madigan are just not ready for intl Rugby. Defo ready for Wolfhounds, and would be great to bring them in off the bench for 20 in say Italy or Scotland in 6N or any AI game bar Argentina 2012.

Hanrahan could potentially be the most talented, I would put Madigan behind Keatley but only just and not for long. I would put Jackson ahead of Rog. He is ready, purely because of the responsibility he gets up north. His game management is ahead of Madigan and Keatley. Madigan has bags of confidence, a great break and a pass to die for, but he needs better decision making and that word again game management.

Anyway....rambling now.......off topic at that.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

cormac wrote:
gfo wrote:D'arcy gets unsolicited abuse from certain quarters in the same Dr Phil used to get it.

Yes, as he'll be out injured
Or out- Forced retirement from Int. Rugby!!
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

I won't be (Cheering for Dr Phil that is), then again I won't be at the match! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.