Lansdowne Road Stadium

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Sosume
Enlightened

Lansdowne Road Stadium

Post by Sosume »

Interested to hear your opinion on the following:

Given the rush for international tickets yesterday and that all the games are now sold out, is the capacity of the new stadium too low (its something like 55K, I think)?

I gather from reading previous posts that SS is a bit of a poll guru. Perhaps he might set one up based on stadium size?
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

The stadium holds 48-49k, for the autumn internationals because of bucket seats for soccer being in place it will only hold around 38k, so with there being 10,000 less places......

Plus when redeveloped the stadium will only seat 50,000 only a few hundred more places!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

sarah_lennon wrote:The stadium holds 48-49k, for the autumn internationals because of bucket seats for soccer being in place it will only hold around 38k, so with there being 10,000 less places......

Plus when redeveloped the stadium will only seat 50,000 only a few hundred more places!
How did the tour go Sarah?
I have Bumbleflex
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Was actually reasonably interesting Dave. We got some pretty cool views from the Control Tower and the dressing rooms were a revelation!! Plus a few freebies too. (No tickets though)
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Should have increased it to 55k if not 60k. The problem was the FAI are in on it, and they can't guarantee getting a 60k ground half full unless they give out free Amber Nectar and blankets beforehand.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Think its more to do with the fact its in a residential setting
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

we should have went green field. Abbotstown was the way forward. If, and I say IF, we built the proper public transport links to it(something like Touslouse - metro and then free bus on a match day) then it would be perfect. I believe we have the sustainability for an 80,000 seater stadium. Sure if the FAI could get circa 40,000 for each match the cost for the event would break even. The Rugby would most likely top 70,000 for matches against Italy's of this world and easily sell out to the home union tests and Southern Hemisphere touring teams.
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Darce wrote:we should have went green field. Abbotstown was the way forward. If, and I say IF, we built the proper public transport links to it(something like Touslouse - metro and then free bus on a match day) then it would be perfect. I believe we have the sustainability for an 80,000 seater stadium. Sure if the FAI could get circa 40,000 for each match the cost for the event would break even. The Rugby would most likely top 70,000 for matches against Italy's of this world and easily sell out to the home union tests and Southern Hemisphere touring teams.
They could "easily" have added a spur off the Maynooth train line. I think that is what they intended doing, assuming the stadium had been built there.

Some of the plans for an area beyond abbotstown had a railway station listed as "proposed" on it (IIRC)
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Darce wrote:we should have went green field. Abbotstown was the way forward. If, and I say IF, we built the proper public transport links to it(something like Touslouse - metro and then free bus on a match day) then it would be perfect. I believe we have the sustainability for an 80,000 seater stadium. Sure if the FAI could get circa 40,000 for each match the cost for the event would break even. The Rugby would most likely top 70,000 for matches against Italy's of this world and easily sell out to the home union tests and Southern Hemisphere touring teams.
Out of town stadia are inferior for generating atmos IMO.
As for decent transport, we can barely run trains on the lines we have never mind the crazy notion of the govt building new ones!
---
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Despite the continued economic success we enjoy, Ireland is petrified of building infrastructure. What if noone needs it in a few years time? Better build a small one, so.

Plethora of political parties who change their spots according to the day of the week means nobody has any remote concept of long-term planning - too busy buying votes on short-term projects.

Abbotstown would have been great. Sure you don;t get a city centre atmos, but if you want 21st century infrastructure, sporting excellence facilities and capacity for everyone who wants to see a game to see it, greenfield site is the only answer.

So, as well as f*cking up the health system even more than it already is, Mary can add her opposition to Abbotstown (on the since-proven-to-be absurd notion that we couldn't afford it) to the list of decisions she has taken upon herself on behalf of the naiton.
the_git
Graduate

Post by the_git »

Mary can add her opposition to Abbotstown (on the since-proven-to-be absurd notion that we couldn't afford it) to the list of decisions she has taken upon herself on behalf of the naiton.
Not to mention her veto last week on 300 new buses for QBC's in Dublin.
I wonder if I have a health problem should I write to Martin cullen?
---
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

may I mention that we do have a city centre stadium with 80k+ capacity, and with a development of one stand - probably one of the best stadia in Europe!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

sarah_lennon wrote:may I mention that we do have a city centre stadium with 80k+ capacity, and with a development of one stand - probably one of the best stadia in Europe!!
...and - except when the hurling is on - they don't play any sport in it either...
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

jezzer wrote:
sarah_lennon wrote:may I mention that we do have a city centre stadium with 80k+ capacity, and with a development of one stand - probably one of the best stadia in Europe!!
...and - except when the hurling is on - they don't play any sport in it either...
Nope. Plenty of Concerts though - and they are foreign and fantastic bands!!!!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Yes there is the Residential Issue, but the FAI we very keen on limiting the Capacity of the ground. Forget the FAI's Preseidents name at the time, one reason being they go through them quite quickly.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

tones wrote:Yes there is the Residential Issue, but the FAI we very keen on limiting the Capacity of the ground. Forget the FAI's Preseidents name at the time, one reason being they go through them quite quickly.
I could be wrong but I though that IRFU owned Lansdowne Road!
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

The IRFU own Lansdowne Road, at the moment. However, they will give the land to the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company - which is jointly owned by the IRFU & the FAI. - Philip Browne is the CEO. Funding for the stadium is as follows.
Approx 66% funded by the Irish Government and 33% by the Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company, but The IRFU will contribute 66% approx of this and the FAI the remaining 33%
The IRFU have a far greater income stream than the FAI, being able to charge a premium for their 10 year debenture seats.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Yes they do, at the moment, but I do remeber that it was felt it wouldn't be feasible if one party (who are contributing money to it been built) could not fill the ground. I think this is allowing the FAI a greater say in the running of things....shameful as it is. :evil:
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

i walked to that stadium in Toulouse and back (though the return journey took about 8 hours longer) - can't imagine walking from city centre to Abbotstown
fungalboy
Graduate

Post by fungalboy »

jezzer wrote:
That is the long term game people....

82K in Croker

50K in LR

15K in RDS/Parnell Pk.

8-10K in Dalymount/SR New development

5K in various FAI Club grounds

Once we have an interchangable set of sports/stadia we will be very well served with city centre grounds.

To have built Abbotstown was to have spent mone where it was not needed.

Name another city of 1 million that has two +80K stadia?

Anywayit is all still dependent on those nice residents in Lansdowne being treated fairly by the LRSDC... :wink:
"They play a running game, we play a running game..." Sky Sports Two 23/1/06
"There is only one Girve the Swerve..." Sky Sports Two 31/3/06
"What disappointment? We did everything we could do tonight..." Newstalk 106 26/5/06