Time for the All Blacks to come out of the closet!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jpwoz
Bookworm

Time for the All Blacks to come out of the closet!

Post by jpwoz »

sheepshagger
Leo Cullen

Re: Time for the All Blacks to come out of the closet!

Post by sheepshagger »

AFP © Enlarge photo

WELLINGTON (AFP) - Gay rights advocates in New Zealand have called for a homosexual All Blacks player to openly declare his sexuality and act as a role model in the fight against bigotry.

Broadcaster Steve Gray told the Sunday Star-Times that he was aware there had been several gay All Blacks and that it was time for one to stand up and be counted.

The openly gay TV presenter even said he had slept with one player, although none from the team have ever come out in the country where rugby is a national passion.

"Everyone always asks what his name was, but I can't remember. I don't know who the All Blacks are. But at the time I checked with a friend and it was totally true," he said. :roll:

His comments follow the appearance of English football star Matt Jarvis on the cover of British gay magazine Attitude.

Jarvis, who is married and straight, said it was time gay footballers felt comfortable enough to step forward and that they would receive support from within the football community.

Tony Simpson, chairman of the gay rights group Rainbow Wellington, said he believed that if a homosexual All Black came out he was sure the majority of New Zealanders would back him.

"If an All Black was to come out I think most people would just say 'well, what does that have to do with the way he plays rugby?'.

"Some people will be hostile -- some have never reconciled themselves to decriminalisation of homosexuality and try to debate it every time it comes up -- but by and large most people have gotten over it," he said.

Former All Blacks centre Craig Innes joined the call for a gay All Black to step forward, saying it would be good for the young gay community to have a rugby role model to look up to.

"I'd admire someone who had the guts to do something like that," he said.

"It would obviously take a very brave person to do it, but if you look at Ian Roberts, who is probably the toughest, meanest rugby league player to ever play the game, he came out a few years ago and people hardly batted an eyelid."

Roberts, an Australian rugby league international, came out in 1995.
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

That 'He said he was an All Black" part reminds me of a lad I knew at school who used to chat up the ladies by telling them he was a Man Utd youth player.

It never ceased to amaze me how many believed him.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Send over Brian Kennedy....
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I fuppin knew it!
I always had my suspicions about these boys all in black. Somewhere along the line, probably in the 80s, some big jessie infiltrated manhood central and turned the haka from a respectable macho strut, designed to put the fear of god into the opposition, as seen here....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdI0g3rENcQ
Into the all singing all dancing broadway extravaganza as we know it today;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjVqZkDZrgg
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

If there are gay All Blacks how do they know they're not out?

I don't remember any "I'm straight" press conferences.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
nc6000
Mullet

Post by nc6000 »

Should we just assume that they are all gay unless they say otherwise?
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

nc6000 wrote:Should we just assume that they are all gay unless they say otherwise?
After the ass raping we got there in the summer I think that's a fair assumption.
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.