Kidney's Replacement

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Re: Kidney's Replacement

Post by artaneboy »

bertandernie wrote:It has to be someone who has ZERO provincial bias in my eyes who'll just look at all the available players and select the best 15/22.

But the problem I fear after dumping Kidney on his head is the bloody IRFU, will they look beyond their noses, will they open the purse strings and get someone decent. As stated in other topics we have wasted a lot of excellent players on two useless coaches and only got a Grandslam out of it when, at provincial/club level for the last 7-8 season we have been dominant at a European level and recently the teams that have been dominant have mostly had Irish players playing bar one or two.

The international set up needs a radical shake up in how it operates.
Don't agree at at all that this is the defining issue. It's not that Kidney was a Munster coach that I have against him now- it's his limited game-plan that is squandering our talent. We need the best man for the job and that's without doubt Joe.
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Here, hands off Joe.

Irfu would replace him with Bradley or Foley.

Brian McLaughlin has a good cv. Hcup finalist and semi finalist with an average enough squad. Could be a compromise choice with Leinster / Munster Mickey measurers. As would mark McCall.

Basically anybody slightly progressive could have us playing to our ability at least, would be an improvement from the current mess. There should be a complete change in all the coaching positions. Some people mention Foley as an assistant, let him off to a club other than Munster to open his mind first.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I didnt include Brian McLoughlin as too many joke candidates wouldve been boring

Rennie might take it for 2 years to a RWC (not sure how keen he'd be on the the 6n is your priority), decorate his CV with it. could be a contender if Chiefs go well this year
Cotter would be great and would prob entice Joe but you have to assume he's on megabucks at Clermont, can sign nearly anyone and is well settled

is Jake White out of contract after current super season? thatd be Smal keeping his job too

and its yet another high profile coaching job EOS wont be interviewed for :)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Peg Leg wrote:I'd add to that, whoever gets the post is going to be usurped by his defence coach Axle akin to EOS - Gatty.
Kidney=EOS2
Foley=EOS3

It cannot end any differently if he's around.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

COS as DOR and a good coaching backup is the dream ticket. Keep Joe here (Leinster) as long as possible. Keep Foley out of it at all costs. Hes got a serious chip on both his shoulders.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I still think the most likely outcome is Robbie Deans, whether we like it or now. There's no way Australia will re-sign him, no matter how the Lions tour goes. Massive winning experience in the S15, took Australia to a Tri-Nations and a RWC S/F. I know there has been a lot of dross in between, but the talent isn't always there with Aus anymore. I'd say he's exactly the type of guy the IRFU will look for. He ticks most of the boxes. He won't be cheap, but there'll be no provincial problems, he's available and he's a kiwi. They love that here.
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

BarryP wrote:Surely if Michael Bradley is on the list then Brian McLaughlin should be?
McLaughlin's father in law is not head of the Cork Con mafia running the irfu.... cant think of Bradley without Officer Prez and his father in law major Valcek in the wire springing to mind.

From an irish perspective i'd want Jono Gibbs on the coaching ticket...from a Leinster perspective obviously not.

Dont want Axel Foley near the squad...at least until he learns to tie his tie and not look like he's recovering from a 3 day bender.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Foley : put it up the jumper, kick to the corner - sure its what made me a liigend

Gwan Axel
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

ronk wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:I'd add to that, whoever gets the post is going to be usurped by his defence coach Axle akin to EOS - Gatty.
Kidney=EOS2
Foley=EOS3

It cannot end any differently if he's around.
Given the tough economic times and availability how about a return of the original EOS1 - maybe he didn't get a interview for the Westies because he was tapped up by the IRFU months ago

Can't believe I didn't see it before :D
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

Gotta be Mike Ruddock
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

To be honest the debate about the head coach is almost less relevant than the discussion about the coaching team. When Chieka took over, Leinster played amazing rugby because Knoxy coached the backs, when Gatland coached Ireland our backs started to play incredible rugby because O'Sullivan was backs coach and under Joe our rucking, maulling and scrummaging is an attacking force due to Johnno and the other forwards coaches.

For me that was the mistake Kidney made. He's not a technician, he's a head coach, he should have done whatever it takes to get guys like Joe onto his coaching staff. Problem for people like O'Sullivan and Kidney is that they see fantastic coaches as a competitive threat not an opportunity to create greatness.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Flash Gordon wrote:Problem for people like O'Sullivan and Kidney is that they see fantastic coaches as a competitive threat not an opportunity to create greatness.
That is so true.

Coaches in NZ are much more into sharing info with each other. Over here it's much more closed minded.

Going into any detail about any aspect of coaching is seen as something like handing the other provinces your lineout calls.

Over there they seem to only stop short of that. (sharing lineout calls)

It's a confidence thing. Same as the way they play the game. They are a frontier nation. Used to getting in there and having a go.

We have spent so long (as a nation) having to look over our shoulder that it has seeped into our psyche and we are only beginning to emerge from it now.

That's my pop psychology for the day. nannyways.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Flash Gordon wrote:To be honest the debate about the head coach is almost less relevant than the discussion about the coaching team. When Chieka took over, Leinster played amazing rugby because Knoxy coached the backs, when Gatland coached Ireland our backs started to play incredible rugby because O'Sullivan was backs coach and under Joe our rucking, maulling and scrummaging is an attacking force due to Johnno and the other forwards coaches.

For me that was the mistake Kidney made. He's not a technician, he's a head coach, he should have done whatever it takes to get guys like Joe onto his coaching staff. Problem for people like O'Sullivan and Kidney is that they see fantastic coaches as a competitive threat not an opportunity to create greatness.
Joe has his success because he's the head coach. He's in control, so every player has to play to his vision. The big decisions would already be taken before he could start assisting the Irish team. So much of this Leinster team relies on the interplay between forwards and backs. A traditional backs coach-forwards coach split wouldn't work with his style. This is why we still have our structure: head coach (with backs and defence coaching), forwards coach, skills/kicking coach and scrum/assistant forwards coach --- in that order of seniority. Maybe there's a role in there somewhere for someone to assist Joe with attack/backs but without interfering with him or Richie Murphy.

The head coach is the starting point of the gameplan. We need good people behind him, but they need to be the right people to fit with the gameplan. There's no point having someone who lives and breathes lineout schemes like no one else if the ball is staying in hand.

At the weekend Leinster played totally different patterns from Ireland. They rucked hard over and beyond the ball. If the ball didn't move away quickly it was turned over, but it was fast. For Ireland, there was more of a mix. Sometimes we cleared hard and there was very quick ball, but Murray didn't want it and the he didn't have options, so the counterruck came.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Its time for a complete clearout. Wipe the slate clean. Having Foley and ROG involved would continue the bias towards the Reds. An example of this bias is present in our team, Earls the main example. ROG is also a complete Mé Feiner and should have taken that job with the Dolphins.

Coach should be given a contract to see out the 2015 RWC and if it goes well, extend the contact.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ceemec wrote:If anyone is interested: http://www.paddypower.com/bet/rugby-uni ... y-specials
I could take issue with a lot of those prices but it is only Paddy Power and they will have some fun with this knowing they will not take too many bets and might get some publicity from it. The one I cannot let go is BOD at 14/1. The guy is still on the pitch. Nobody knows if he wants to coach or would be any good and we already have him in the betting.

There are lots of names out there and nearly any of them would be an improvement. One guy who could have a future is Foley but I would agree with others that he needs to get out and see the world. A few years abroad learning his trade would do him the world of good. Also someone might show him how to dress. He looks like a hassled mess most of the time.
go_on_the_poni
Bookworm

Post by go_on_the_poni »

O'Shea rules himself out of Ireland job
http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/sport/ojidgbkfsnsn/
rarrr
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Looks like COS really ruling himself out and not making the right noises by saying he wants to see out his current Quinns deal AND beyond
Is he peeved IRFU overlooked him for oversight jobs before/he (and mrs) well settled in London/sees it as poison chalice?

If the job is to go to Joe the IRFU will really have to headhunt him and give him anything he wants, not just ask him to send in a CV
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

simonokeeffe wrote:Looks like COS really ruling himself out and not making the right noises by saying he wants to see out his current Quinns deal AND beyond
Is he peeved IRFU overlooked him for oversight jobs before/he (and mrs) well settled in London/sees it as poison chalice?

If the job is to go to Joe the IRFU will really have to headhunt him and give him anything he wants, not just ask him to send in a CV
That is O'Shea out for the Irish Job this time. If Joe stays with us to the end of his contract it finishes at the same time as Conor's. COS for Leinster anyone.

Also if I was COS I would prefer to come to the job when there had been a few more changes made in the higher up areas of the IRFU to professionalise it. Who wants to damage a good career by working with amateurs.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think its still a good job to have (if they can pick own backroom team)

Players well rested/available for training
little media pressure
RWC looming
get to work with Healy, Best, SOB, Sexton, Zebo, Gilroy and maybe POC, Fez, BOD