Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Kidney's Replacement

Post by simonokeeffe »

Joe Schmidt
CV: 2 H cups in 2 years and is very very nice. Bonus points for being a Kiwi
Availability: under contract to Leinster, has said he intends to finish it and looking at returning to New Zealand when that expires
Negatives: whinging in Cork accents over Leinster bias in his selections would be unbearable
Positives: Leinster coach for Ireland would make the Indo explode

Conor O'Shea
CV: Amlin Cup and Premiership in 2 years
Availability: contracted to Harlequinns for a couple of years but but smart enough surely to have Ireland job release clause
Negatives: technically from Munster
Positives: no provincial bias, political savvy and nice jumpers

Michael Bradley
CV: father in law is high up in IRFU
Availability: too available
Negatives: from Munster, thought John Yapp was a worthwhile signing
Positives: would be cheap, very cheap

Mark McCall
CV: DOR at London South Africa who are doing well
Availability: contracted til 2015, owners would want compo (possibly in form of uncut diamonds)
Negatives: used to 10 man rugby and big chequebook
Positives: most of the Ulster players that bumrushed him out have left

Mike Ruddock
CV: doing really well with Landsdowne and Wolfpuppies
Availability: works for the IRFU already
Negatives: hasnt coached big boys for 8 years
Positives: coached a grand slam team before

Nick Mallet
CV: did something with Boks in the 90's
Availability: linked to every big job
Negatives: Mauro Bergamasco at scrumhalf
Positives: Sky Sports would like him

Graham Henry
CV: done well with NZ, not so well with NH teams
Availability: semi retired
Negatives: grumpiest man ever, pricey
Positives: from New Zealand, him and Jonno Gibbes would make dourest looking coaching team ever

Anthony Foley
CV: ligind
Availability: going through messy divorce from Penney
Negatives: never had a head coach job, Munster
Positives: looks cuddly

Robbie Deans
CV: mixed results with Australia, Joe Schmidt of Super Rugby
Availability: yes, unless Aussies upset odds v Lions
Negatives: mixed record as national coach, Aussies coaches are so five years ago
Positives: cool nickname, no provincial bias, coaches good rugby

Verdict
Conor O'Shea with backroom team of Foley, someone else and ROG as kicking coach
Last edited by simonokeeffe on February 25th, 2013, 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Re: Kidney's Replacement

Post by johng »

I'm glad someone started this because I haven't a clue who to select. None of the above are perfect. Perhaps someone will think outside the box and get someone from left field. Add more clichés as required.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

johng wrote:I'm glad someone started this because I haven't a clue who to select. None of the above are perfect. Perhaps someone will think outside the box and get someone from left field. Add more clichés as required.
all the just under the radar SH coaches at Irish provinces now

Marcello Loffreda?
Wayne Smith?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

Noves, quality coach and outsider but would he be interested probably not
Retired
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Jake White. Took over the Springboks in 2004 after winning the 2002 u-21 rwc, when the bokke were an absolute shambles post Staalraad, won a tri nations, a world cup, and broke a host of Springbok records and bogies
I have Bumbleflex
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Dave Rennie
CV: Won the S15 in his first season. Three time winner of the JWC with NZ.
Availability: In the second season of a two year deal; no contract after August currently.
Negatives: Possibly being groomed for the big job in a few years in NZ and won't want to leave.
Positives: Has been successful at every level. Plays good rugby. Has been instrumental in bringing through young players like Sam Cane, Brodie Retallick and Aaron Cruden (all the way from NPC and U20 level).
TheBear
Enlightened

Post by TheBear »

Vern Cotter

CV: Won S12 and S14 in successive seasons, won Bouclier de Brennus with ASM, Kiwi.
Availability: I think his contract is up at the end of the season, but almost certain to be renewed if he wants to stay put. Has been linked to a few international posts in the past few years.
Negatives: Would be perceived as being too close to Schmidt. Probably quite expensive.
Positives: No real provincial bias, very well rated (was asked to apply for NZ job when Henry left). A Kiwi to rule the roost in our flock of Kiwi provincial coaches.
Heavy words are so lightly thrown
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ceemec wrote:Dave Rennie
Availability: In the second season of a two year deal; no contract after August currently.
Negatives: Possibly being groomed for the big job in a few years in NZ and won't want to leave.
Positives: Has been successful at every level. Plays good rugby. Has been instrumental in bringing through young players like Sam Cane, Brodie Retallick and Aaron Cruden (all the way from NPC and U20 level).
Sign him now!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Cant be Schmidt, or any serious Leinster connection, as the Munster folks would be all over him.

Would like O'Shea AND Ruddock tbh, but I expect it'll be Les Kiss.

Noves wont do it without complete control. I believe he turned down the French national side for a similar reason.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ceemec wrote:Dave Rennie
Bingo bango.

Seems like a sound man who has come from a slightly unconventional route [he used to own a bar: http://www.wrfu.co.nz/about/our-history ... -2000-2002 ] and has a bit of an imagination. I'd like to see him take over from Joe Schmidt if at all possible.
BarryP
Knowledgeable

Post by BarryP »

Surely if Michael Bradley is on the list then Brian McLaughlin should be?
No feelings. You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting and if you need a friend, get a dog."
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

If Irish rugby is to keep Schmidt then he needs to be made international boss. I hope they go for him.
My list in terms of priority would be:
1: Joe
2: O'Shea
3: White
4: Mallet
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Director of Rubgy: COS
Head & Backs Coach: Joe
Forwards Coach: Simon Easterby
Scrum Coach: Greg Feek
Kicking Coach: Aldred or ROG joking- joking....!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

A lot of our Munster brethern, judging from the various posts on their site, actually favour Joe. They just don't think he's intrested.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I don't believe Joe is/would be interested. I don't think he would like the added pressure and travel that would come with international rugby. He only took a 1 year extension with Leinster for personal reasons and I have no reason to believe he'll stay in Ireland after the completion of that contract.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

ceemec wrote:I don't believe Joe is/would be interested. I don't think he would like the added pressure and travel that would come with international rugby. He only took a 1 year extension with Leinster for personal reasons and I have no reason to believe he'll stay in Ireland after the completion of that contract.
Maybe. But let's offer it to him and find out!
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

artaneboy wrote:
ceemec wrote:I don't believe Joe is/would be interested. I don't think he would like the added pressure and travel that would come with international rugby. He only took a 1 year extension with Leinster for personal reasons and I have no reason to believe he'll stay in Ireland after the completion of that contract.
Absoloutley + 1

Ceemec, I'd say you are spot on but the IRFU should be doing everything in their power to convince him to take the job. If they offer him the job, complete with a blank cheque that he can fill out himself and give him complete authority on who makes up his backroom team but he says no, fair enough. Doing anything less would be criminally negligent. We really can't afford to late the best coach in the NH leave the country without trying.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
bertandernie
Beginner

Post by bertandernie »

It has to be someone who has ZERO provincial bias in my eyes who'll just look at all the available players and select the best 15/22.

But the problem I fear after dumping Kidney on his head is the bloody IRFU, will they look beyond their noses, will they open the purse strings and get someone decent. As stated in other topics we have wasted a lot of excellent players on two useless coaches and only got a Grandslam out of it when, at provincial/club level for the last 7-8 season we have been dominant at a European level and recently the teams that have been dominant have mostly had Irish players playing bar one or two.

The international set up needs a radical shake up in how it operates.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Cianostays wrote:
artaneboy wrote:
Absoloutley + 1

Ceemec, I'd say you are spot on but the IRFU should be doing everything in their power to convince him to take the job. If they offer him the job, complete with a blank cheque that he can fill out himself and give him complete authority on who makes up his backroom team but he says no, fair enough. Doing anything less would be criminally negligent. We really can't afford to late the best coach in the NH leave the country without trying.
Well the have a spare few bob lying around now after the J10 debacle, but I'd say debacles like that are plentiful enough for Joe to think twice.
I don't know much about Rennie, but that cv is impressive and current.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I'd add to that, whoever gets the post is going to be usurped by his defence coach Axle akin to EOS - Gatty.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan