Italy v Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Italy v Ireland

Post by simonokeeffe »

so definitely missing Bowe, Zebo, McFadden, Darcy, Reddan, Strauss, POC, Fez, Henry

big maybes over Marshall, BOD, Ryan with shoulder problem again (first two have concussion so doesnt look good)

probably have Sexton, Gilroy, DF

(all according GT)

so

Healy
Best
Ross
Ryan/DOC
McCarthy
POM
SOB
JH
Murray
Sexton
Luke
BOD
Earls
Gilroy
RK

Killer, Cronin, DF, DOC/Toner, Lama, P Marshall, Jackson, Trimble
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Re: Italy v Ireland

Post by TerenureJim »

simonokeeffe wrote:so definitely missing Bowe, Zebo, McFadden, Darcy, Reddan, Strauss, POC, Fez, Henry

big maybes over Marshall, BOD, Ryan with shoulder problem again (first two have concussion so doesnt look good)

probably have Sexton, Gilroy, DF

(all according GT)

so

Healy
Best
Ross
Ryan/DOC
McCarthy
POM
SOB
JH
Murray
Sexton
Luke
BOD
Earls
Gilroy
RK

Killer, Cronin, DF, DOC/Toner, Lama, P Marshall, Jackson, Trimble
I'd say BOD if he was concussed would be better off sitting this one out, would be another reason why he'd come back next year to sign off in style in a successful 6N under a new coaching ticket :D
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I think BOD will play but I don't think he's fit to. As per usual, he picked up a couple of knocks and he was certainly unsteady on his legs as he left the field. When he came on, he looked like he was experiencing nausea and still looked dazed. I can't see how he isn't experiencing a fairly classic case of concussion. It's a shame if Luke Marshall is ruled out. If he delivered another good performance against Italy, he was entering the realms of being a Lions bolter based on the paucity of options in that position.

Earls has regressed this season. I don't think he has been helped by whatever tactics we are using in the back line which lack fluidity and inventiveness in spades but he's suffering as a result. Very little clean, front foot ball has made its way to him. With Bowe on the field, we often use him as a roaming winger similar to George North, coming into midfield of a shoulder and attacking a fixed defence. Earls hasn't been asked to do this much at all. I also wonder why on earth Rob Kearney hasn't been used as a strike runner once in my memory. That's by far the strongest aspect of his attacking game where he comes from deep and hits the line at pace. He's very hard to stop when used in such a manner. His positional kicking was very good at the weekend but he's still a bit all at sea and lacks confidence when carrying from deep. Both players have not been as influential as they can be but it's not all their faults.

I'm not sure who will play 12 but fear the Earls/BOD experiment will appear again. We are missing Marshall, D'Arcy, Wallace, McFadden and McSharry so it's anyone's guess as to who will play there. Most likely Earls but Fitzgerald is an option too. I wonder would he be slightly tempted to try his hand at the Jackson/Sexton 10/12 effort.

We're going to have our back line stretched to the limit now but I would like to see something along the lines of: Murray, Sexton, Fitzgerald, AN Other, BOD, Gilroy, Kearney.

The pack doesn't have much to change in it aside from the concern with Donnacha Ryan. If we do lose him, it will be interesting to see what happens. DOC and McCarthy are both tighthead locks and neither run the line out. It could be the opening for Devin Toner to come into the starting line up although I think it's equally likely that DK selects the two boys and asks POM to run the line out. Back row stays the same. That was the most physical performance from Heaslip in this championship. His clearing out was always good but he was possessed in terms of hitting people behind the gain line, driving them back and throwing himself at anything that moves. It led to a little sloppiness I think on his part in the tackle where he was too far up alongside the carrier on a couple of occasions and fell off.

Pack of Healy, Best, Ross, McCarthy, Toner/DOC, POM, SOB, Heaslip with Kilcoyne, Best, Fitzpatrick, DOC/Toner, Henderson on the bench.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

am no fan of earls at 13 esp if it means BOD at 12 but only viable alternative is to play Jackson or Sexton there (12) at this stage
D4surfer
Mullet

Post by D4surfer »

There are photos of Darren Cave on Inpho training in Carton House today, so he must be available.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

ceemec wrote:It's a shame if Luke Marshall is ruled out. If he delivered another good performance against Italy, he was entering the realms of being a Lions bolter based on the paucity of options in that position.
Steady on!!!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Armchair wrote:
ceemec wrote:It's a shame if Luke Marshall is ruled out. If he delivered another good performance against Italy, he was entering the realms of being a Lions bolter based on the paucity of options in that position.
Steady on!!!
I don't think I could have been more tentative than saying he was entering the realms of being a bolter!

Basically, the competition for that spot is woeful. Two inside centres will be taken more than likely. Roberts has been utterly muck this series (this entire season actually). Barritt is very limited. Scott is much the same. I still think Barritt and Roberts will travel or they'll take Tuilagi as a 12/13 but if Marshall had turned in another good performance against Italy, his name would have come into some minds, I'd be sure. He already totally outclassed Scott and shut down Fofana whilst showing some nice skills with the boot. I'd love to see him get a run against Italy. I think he has settled into the team now and would flourish.
red49
Knowledgeable

Post by red49 »

Thought marshall was very impressive v scotland but not so noticeable against france. Had a look at stats page and apparentl he only handled the ball 4 times, one great touchfinder and 3 tackles, 0 metres made. these stats look poor but i find stats misleading anyway as they dont take difficulty of each facet recorded into account. on side note really hope bod makes tour and as captain, the guy is amazing although i dontvthink he was fit enough to come back on the last day,still some effort on his behalf. In my opinion marshall would be v long shot for lions
Retired
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

red49 wrote:Thought marshall was very impressive v scotland but not so noticeable against france. Had a look at stats page and apparentl he only handled the ball 4 times, one great touchfinder and 3 tackles, 0 metres made. these stats look poor but i find stats misleading anyway as they dont take difficulty of each facet recorded into account. on side note really hope bod makes tour and as captain, the guy is amazing although i dontvthink he was fit enough to come back on the last day,still some effort on his behalf. In my opinion marshall would be v long shot for lions
Wasn't a day for the centres but I thought Marshall still showed up relatively well among some elite company. He had the great touchdfinder but also contributed a brilliant turnover on the deck. Generally, the ball was just trucked up by either side by a forward or kicked away (the ball was kicked a whopping 74 times!). As I said though, I would have him down as rank outsider myself anyway.

BOD is still in with a decent shout of being captain but if Robshaw lifts the GS next weekend and outplays Warburton, one would have to think he'll get the nod.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

D4surfer wrote:There are photos of Darren Cave on Inpho training in Carton House today, so he must be available.
he's still an out and out 13, mildly preferrable to Earls though
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

simonokeeffe wrote:
D4surfer wrote:There are photos of Darren Cave on Inpho training in Carton House today, so he must be available.
Only mildly? There are AIL centers with more nous and defensive ability than Earls.
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ceemec wrote:
red49 wrote:Thought marshall was very impressive v scotland but not so noticeable against france. Had a look at stats page and apparentl he only handled the ball 4 times, one great touchfinder and 3 tackles, 0 metres made. these stats look poor but i find stats misleading anyway as they dont take difficulty of each facet recorded into account. on side note really hope bod makes tour and as captain, the guy is amazing although i dontvthink he was fit enough to come back on the last day,still some effort on his behalf. In my opinion marshall would be v long shot for lions
Wasn't a day for the centres but I thought Marshall still showed up relatively well among some elite company. He had the great touchdfinder but also contributed a brilliant turnover on the deck. Generally, the ball was just trucked up by either side by a forward or kicked away (the ball was kicked a whopping 74 times!). As I said though, I would have him down as rank outsider myself anyway.

BOD is still in with a decent shout of being captain but if Robshaw lifts the GS next weekend and outplays Warburton, one would have to think he'll get the nod.
Thought Marshall was excellent on Saturday. Nothing special but did everything well and backed up his performance against Scotland very nicely. He was never going to make the same kind of breaks against France that he did against Scotland. He showed a completely different skillset in completely different conditions against possibly the best centre in the world right now AND kept him very quiet all game. I don't mean to go over the top about him but that's very impressive.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

leinster4life13 wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Only mildly? There are AIL centers with more nous and defensive ability than Earls.
Cave not blessed with pace and it still forces BOD to 12, but we're into outhalves and Downey otherwise
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

That one baffles me as he failed his concussion test last week
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Fitzpatrick out, so archer will again be on the bench
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

munster#1 wrote:Fitzpatrick out, so archer will again be on the bench
In all liklihood will be an unused sub again, apart from injury. Felt sorry for the front row last Saturday, they could hardly stand up by the end of the game.
Dont Panic!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

To be honest, I'd give Downey a run if Marshall doesn't make it. Average though he is, it is a better option than BOD at 12 and Earls at 13, or Sexton/Fitz at 12 and BOD at 13. It would mean that they can train with Downey at 12 and Earls at 13 all week, given that BOD won't be training, even if he does make it in the end. Cave is still a major doubt, training pictures or no training pictures.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

CiaranIrl wrote:To be honest, I'd give Downey a run if Marshall doesn't make it. Average though he is, it is a better option than BOD at 12 and Earls at 13, or Sexton/Fitz at 12 and BOD at 13. It would mean that they can train with Downey at 12 and Earls at 13 all week, given that BOD won't be training, even if he does make it in the end. Cave is still a major doubt, training pictures or no training pictures.
Downey isn't worth going for, that's as useless an option as flying P. Wallace out to NZ. We learn nothing from it and it doesn't help develop any future options. I'd be mor inclined to bring in JJ Hanrahan. Sure why not, if he has Sexton inside him and Drico outside him I can't see any issues with giving youth it's chance at this point.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

TerenureJim wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:To be honest, I'd give Downey a run if Marshall doesn't make it. Average though he is, it is a better option than BOD at 12 and Earls at 13, or Sexton/Fitz at 12 and BOD at 13. It would mean that they can train with Downey at 12 and Earls at 13 all week, given that BOD won't be training, even if he does make it in the end. Cave is still a major doubt, training pictures or no training pictures.
Downey isn't worth going for, that's as useless an option as flying P. Wallace out to NZ. We learn nothing from it and it doesn't help develop any future options. I'd be mor inclined to bring in JJ Hanrahan. Sure why not, if he has Sexton inside him and Drico outside him I can't see any issues with giving youth it's chance at this point.
Not him for me. He isn't even starting for Munster. I have had a couple of rants on here before about how I don't agree with throwing talented young players into the International arena before they're physically ready for it. I prefer to see young players brought through slowly. My guess is that Anscombe / Penny agree, which is why JJ / Marshall / Gilroy aren't first choice for their provinces. Fitzgerald was thrown into the mix too early, hence the constant injuries. Sexton didn't play at the highest level until he was older, so he is far less injury prone. Half the Australian team is constantly broken because they were playing against massive islanders when 19/20.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wouldn't be against Downey either. No option is going to be ideal given the number of injuries we have and I agree totally with CiaranIrl about throwing young players in too soon even though I would be very confident that JJ would actually do well.

McSharry injured then? Haven't heard anything about him. I'm assuming he is injured but if not then he should be an option.

I think my choice would be Sexton tbh. When you're looking so far down the list of obvious candidates then I think you may as well go with someone who might end up there in an injury crisis during a match. So it's quite likely that there will be situations over the next few years where Jackson is on the bench and we have a back three player in the 23 jersey and a centre gets injured. Not that Kidney has to worry about providing for the future like that. Not ideal by any means and can understand why people would shoot it down but that's what I'd go for.