Knowledgeable

Australia v Lions 3rd Test

Post by BlueStreak »

suisse
Shane Jennings

Re: Australia v Lions 3rd Test

Post by suisse »

According to G&GR,
In the 2nd test the Wallabies ran ball 120 times (548 mts) - Lions ran 55 times (203 mts) - The Lions kicked away the limited possession they had
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The kicking tactic is killing them. Sexton is experienced enough to know when it's on and when to stick to the plan. He needs to take more control of proceedings. The kick out on the full at the weekend was a perfect example of him identifying an opportunity, hesitating and then putting boot to ball. He was closed down completely and the kick was never going anywhere but out on the full.

The most worrying example was later in that half though when the Lions had a massive overlap and Sexton went into contact. There was a mismatch of about 5 on 3. A good flat pass would have taken out two of the defenders leaving a basic try scoring opportunity. For him to take the ball into contact on that occasion was awful decision making. Pic stolen from Boards illustrates the moment.

The Lions need to alter the way in which they play the game. They have the talent and the power to control possession and go through phases. They have strike runners who can break in midfield. They're not using them whatsoever. In the 2nd test, they tried to defend their way to victory with extremely negative tactics, kicking it away, trying to win penalties at the breakdown and strangle Australia. It's a very hard tactic when you've no set piece and are taking most of your ball on the back foot.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ceemec wrote:The kicking tactic is killing them. Sexton is experienced enough to know when it's on and when to stick to the plan. He needs to take more control of proceedings. The kick out on the full at the weekend was a perfect example of him identifying an opportunity, hesitating and then putting boot to ball. He was closed down completely and the kick was never going anywhere but out on the full.
Was that the time when AAC hit him on the 22? If so, I completely agree with you. He had Tommy Bowe outside him [albeit loosely marked by Tomane] and was going to give the pass, but you could literally see him think, "Uh-oh, that's not in the gameplan – I have to kick out of my 22" and then he changed his mind and hit a sh*t kick.

He should know better, but Gatland shouldn't absolutely strangle his players with a restrictive and super negative gameplan.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Surely players at this level must be give the freedom to play what is in front of them rather than worry about the game plan and ignore over laps?

The lions back play has been very poor in the tests, we have seen no set moves, and how many times have we seen a good passing move that has put either of our wingers into space

once in two tests?

I thought Sexton was one of the better backs on Saturday , the midfield trio is not working though and davies needs to be dropped with either Roberts or tulagi taking his place .

We have to get the edge on the scrum so it's corberseiro, hibbard and adam jones to start for me , we need to also start getting over the gain line so I would play a back row of lydiate,sob and Toby F to start taking the ball to the aussies.

We can still win this game but we need to stop kicking the ball so much!
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

hugonaut wrote:
Was that the time when AAC hit him on the 22? If so, I completely agree with you. He had Tommy Bowe outside him [albeit loosely marked by Tomane] and was going to give the pass, but you could literally see him think, "Uh-oh, that's not in the gameplan – I have to kick out of my 22" and then he changed his mind and hit a sh*t kick.

He should know better, but Gatland shouldn't absolutely strangle his players with a restrictive and super negative gameplan.
That's the one. He shifted the ball in his hands to pass before readjusting. On watching it again, the right idea would have been to stand slightly deeper and give it some distance. Bowe was marked outside him but Sexton is clearly at odds with the tactics and didn't look entirely comfortable at all in that instance.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Lions scrum will be stronger. Their lineout will be more solid/conservative. The midfield pair should offer more (both offensively and defensively).
The Aussies should be missing their captain.

The Lions will play the same dull boring negative rugby because that's what they have been told to do. They will probably win by a few points this time.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Logorrhea wrote:Lions scrum will be stronger. Their lineout will be more solid/conservative. The midfield pair should offer more (both offensively and defensively).
The Aussies should be missing their captain.

The Lions will play the same dull boring negative rugby because that's what they have been told to do. They will probably win by a few points this time.
You paint a depressing but winning picture. I was looking forward to good running attacking rugby and instead got this stuff. The players are putting their bodies on the line for a system that is designed not to lose rather than to win.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

The next will if anything be more not less conservative the make up of the back row will tell us all we need to know about the tactics they will employ. I suppose the ends justify the means if we win the series but it's not good to watch
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

From the selections made you knew it was a "containing style of game" that was planned, living off opponents mistakes. Negative and against the Lions ethos. Gatland would no doubt play 9 man rugby if he led the Barbarians, he just doesn't understand.
At least we all now know we need players who can offer a threat on the field,so Falateau should start, so should Croft and Manu. We despearately need a fit loosehead who knows how to scrummage too. Back row selected to win the game would also include O'Brian, I'd keep Tom Youngs as he is much better at winning and using loose ball and getting over the gain line than Hibbard.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Hibbard has to start. The difference in the scrum the second he came on (with the same props), was massive. Youngs has done well but he's simply too light. The additional 2 stone that Hibbard carries allows him to make life awful on the opposition tighthead. The scrum have proven a massive turning point in both tests already and the referee next week is Poite who allows anything as long as a scrum is moving forward.
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

ceemec wrote:Hibbard has to start. The difference in the scrum the second he came on (with the same props), was massive. Youngs has done well but he's simply too light. The additional 2 stone that Hibbard carries allows him to make life awful on the opposition tighthead. The scrum have proven a massive turning point in both tests already and the referee next week is Poite who allows anything as long as a scrum is moving forward.
A front row of James, Hibbard and Corb should tip the balance back to the lions. If any of them are not available and considering the ref coming in I think we need to flash the ball through the scrum quickly and get it out as quick as possible.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

tigerburnie wrote:From the selections made you knew it was a "containing style of game" that was planned, living off opponents mistakes. Negative and against the Lions ethos. Gatland would no doubt play 9 man rugby if he led the Barbarians, he just doesn't understand.
At least we all now know we need players who can offer a threat on the field,so Falateau should start, so should Croft and Manu. We despearately need a fit loosehead who knows how to scrummage too. Back row selected to win the game would also include O'Brian, I'd keep Tom Youngs as he is much better at winning and using loose ball and getting over the gain line than Hibbard.
Please no Croft,No Youngs (either of them) no Tuilagi unless Roberts is not fit and no Cole to come on...then we might have a chance
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

this is borderline heretical on this forum but IMO Tipuric should start at 7 especially if Lydiate retained, the difference Lydiate made to warburton's game was immense
Right to say if Corbisiero is back then with Poite (our players well used to him) the scrums will be a demolition job with or without Hibbard
Gatty cant think no second row cover 2 weeks in a row a good idea neither
Philips/Murray combo in no particular order will improve matters too
Roberts makes it, Horwill doesnt then the pressure starts to mount
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

I'm a little surprised that Richie Gray isn't being considered as an option by many people for the 2nd row. Would help stabilise the lineout and Adam Jones rates his power anyway so, presumably, he would be no soft touch with regard to the scrum.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22675907
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Bogger
Knowledgeable

Post by Bogger »

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. O Driscoll (captain)
12. Roberts (if fit or Manu)
11. North
10. Sexton
09. Phillips (if fit otherwise Murray)
08. Heaslip
07.Tipuric
06. SOB
05. Evans
04. Wyn Jones
03. A.Jones
02. Hibbard
01. Corbisero

bench Youngs Cole Vanpulo parling lydiate Farrell zebo
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

For all the criticism of the line out, the Lions have lost 1 from 24 in their two tests according to the stats. The standard of those line outs has not been fantastic with a lot of ball taken in and mauled and only one or two to the tail but they have been claiming their ball. The return of Roberts will go a large way to assisting the slower ball from the middle they've been using.

I wouldn't bring in Gray; I don't think he's needed and his play around the park has been mediocre in terms of rucks. Parling had a strong game the other day. Top tackler on the pitch and was very good in the line out. I've watched the line outs again. He took 4 on his own ball, under pressure and disrupted several opposition throws, forcing Australia well back down the pitch. He did manage to steal one also but Adam Jones was penalised for infringing on the ground.

Parling has got a bit of stick for the last line out called. I've watched it closely and think it was the right call. They went for a throw to the middle and a catch and drive off it. SOB can be seen in the scrum half position ready to take it at the back of the maul. Australia did not disrupt. He was up ahead of Mowen, got a clean hand to the ball but a combination of the throw being a fraction too high and the lift being poor, failed to get him in position. He was very quick off the ground though and was up ahead of the opposition clearly. The exhausted Vunipola (never plays 80) and AWJ, did not get him up high once he was off the ground. From looking at it, they appeared to grip him quite high which was always going to limit their lift.

I wouldn't change the lock pairing at all. I'd like to think we will put a bit more pressure on theirs this week through a second jumping pod depending on the location of the throw.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

ceemec wrote:For all the criticism of the line out, the Lions have lost 1 from 24 in their two tests according to the stats. The standard of those line outs has not been fantastic with a lot of ball taken in and mauled and only one or two to the tail but they have been claiming their ball. The return of Roberts will go a large way to assisting the slower ball from the middle they've been using.

I wouldn't bring in Gray; I don't think he's needed and his play around the park has been mediocre in terms of rucks. Parling had a strong game the other day. Top tackler on the pitch and was very good in the line out. I've watched the line outs again. He took 4 on his own ball, under pressure and disrupted several opposition throws, forcing Australia well back down the pitch. He did manage to steal one also but Adam Jones was penalised for infringing on the ground.

Parling has got a bit of stick for the last line out called. I've watched it closely and think it was the right call. They went for a throw to the middle and a catch and drive off it. SOB can be seen in the scrum half position ready to take it at the back of the maul. Australia did not disrupt. He was up ahead of Mowen, got a clean hand to the ball but a combination of the throw being a fraction too high and the lift being poor, failed to get him in position. He was very quick off the ground though and was up ahead of the opposition clearly. The exhausted Vunipola (never plays 80) and AWJ, did not get him up high once he was off the ground. From looking at it, they appeared to grip him quite high which was always going to limit their lift.

I wouldn't change the lock pairing at all. I'd like to think we will put a bit more pressure on theirs this week through a second jumping pod depending on the location of the throw.
Think you're being far too kind to Parling. Those stats are bullshit. Every time they went to the tail they lost the ball. For that last throw the ball needed to be won above all else to work a drop goal, so two ball was the only smart call, especially as Hibbard's throwing was even worse than Youngs's. It was one of the worst calls on the trip and he should be dropped from the squad for the last test.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Not sure as to whether changing Parling for Gray is worth the bother. Both are a long way off O'Connell so its like swapping mediocrity for mediocrity. If Parling wasn't in, would AWJ be able to call the lineout? (honestly haven't a clue), if so I'd throw in Gray and see is he was any better. He's definitely more of a presence around the pitch.

As for the call to throw to the middle, given the time on the clock, and the position on the pitch (and the fact that I know they f%~ked it up), I'd say the throw to 2 was the only option. In fact I was saying it to the TV as they lined up ......... easy throw to two, maul it infield a little, one or two carries further infield and easy drop goal attempt. It was the only option for me. The kind of play you see professional teams engineer time and time again in the HEC.

However it was just another in a long line of messed up lineouts (sorry but those stats are total shite) and shaky scrums. Not Parlings fault. The responsibility for this team and the performances sit with the management.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Throwing to 2 was the most likely option. As such, Australia had positioned Horwill ready to go up. They'd also risk a heavy counter shove close to the touch line. Plenty of similar incidents see the ball go to the middle. When Ireland won the GS, it wasn't the front where the ball was called by POC. It might well have worked but it might well not have; we don't know. When the Australians are loading the front of their line out and preparing themselves to attack the maul to touch, a front throw does have dangers also. Hindsight is a bonus in this instance.

Having watched the line outs one by one, Parling was one of the big reasons that we actually won our own ball several occasions. He was the only guy able to get in the air anywhere near as quickly as POC. Most importantly, he messed up several Australian throws.

Dropping your top tackler, best jumper and the only guy who has done damage to the Australian throw because the last line out didn't go well (which was down to the throw and lift, not being stolen) is beyond harsh. It's damaging your own team for no good reason.