Ireland u20 2013/14

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Ireland u20 2013/14

Post by goreyguy »

First camp was this week and they played a practice match today at Wanderers rfc.
Schmidt was in attendence along with Kiss and Plumtree.

Early prediction on a team?

1. Peter Dooley(Leinster)
2. Max Abbott(Munster)
3. Rory Burke(Munster)
4. John Madigan(Munster)
5. Ross Molony(Leinster)
6. Peadar Timmins(Leinster)
7. Dan Leavy(Leinster)
8. Jack O'Donoghoe(Munster)
9. Ryan Foley(Munster)
10. Sean O'Hagan(Connacht)
11. Ian Fitzpatrick(Leinster)
12. Mark Best(Ulster)
13. Robb O'Loughlin(Leinster)
14. Adam Byrne(Leinster)
15. Billy Dardis(Leinster)
ormond lad
Graduate

Re: Ireland u20 2013/14

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:First camp was this week and they played a practice match today at Wanderers rfc.
2. Max Abbott(Munster)
3. Rory Burke(Munster)
4. John Madigan(Munster)
5. Ross Molony(Leinster)
7. Dan Leavy(Leinster)
9. Ryan Foley(Munster)
12. Mark Best(Ulster)
14. Adam Byrne(Leinster)
Yeah that would be close enough to team id pick.
Who do you have at 13? Presume you mean Rory O Loughlin or do have Peter Robb?
Sean O Brien will be close to side either 8 or 2nd row so will be great cover.
Backrow is particularly strong with all 3 you name having travelled to last years world cup.
Rory Parata is also in Irish set up and will push for contention in the back line
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

yeah Rory, my mistake.. Bit of a wildcard seeing he missed the interpros but pretty talented.
agree on SOB, a bit on the small side for lock but would give good cover for both lock, 6 and 8.
yeah backrow is very deep again this year, Leavy is my pick for captain.
Parata is fairly decent alright, could see him being involved. Unsure how much though and at what position though.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Thought the Ulster 8 from the Interpros looked a decent player. Perhaps the Connacht 9 too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

cormac wrote:Thought the Ulster 8 from the Interpros looked a decent player. Perhaps the Connacht 9 too.
Lorcan Dow and Coalin Blade.

Very tight call between Blade and Foley imo.

Dow is underage again next year, talented kid, ex-exile but not sure he can beat out JOD.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Both Blade and Ryan Foley have started with Galwegians and Cork Con respectively in AIL in recent weeks and how they do there will help decide who starts with Foley playing 1A helping with wegians only a 2A side
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

goreyguy wrote:First camp was this week and they played a practice match today at Wanderers rfc.

2. Max Abbott(Munster)
3. Rory Burke(Munster)
4. John Madigan(Munster)
5. Ross Molony(Leinster)
7. Dan Leavy(Leinster)
9. Ryan Foley(Munster)
12. Mark Best(Ulster)
14. Adam Byrne(Leinster)

5 Munster players!! I hope you're right!

With most of the games being so close I suspect there'll be plenty of competition for places this season. Any players stand out?
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

dropkick wrote:5 Munster players!! I hope you're right!

With most of the games being so close I suspect there'll be plenty of competition for places this season. Any players stand out?
Standouts are whats listed. Madigan, JOD were glue to Munster pack

Plenty of competition for places. Look at 2nd row: Madigan, Blair, Molony, SOB 2
Backrow: JOD, Leavy, SOB2, Timmins, Taggart, Dow
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

John Madigan is a big unit at 119kgs! Didn't see him play yet but saw pictures of him and he is lean enough too with big legs so no doubt he'll be fairly powerful in the engine room.
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Blair hasn't played much rugby lately.. would be surprised to see him involved..
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Robb back from injury.. was pretty impressive aswell.. big unit

JP Premier Pennant is currently running, UCD have been dominant so far..

beat Old Wesley 61-0. Team features players such as Billy Dardis, Gary Ringrose, Ross Byrne, Ivan Soroka, Dylan Donnellan, Ross Molony, Josh Murphy and Peadar Timmins.
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

goreyguy wrote:Robb back from injury.. was pretty impressive aswell.. big unit

JP Premier Pennant is currently running, UCD have been dominant so far..

beat Old Wesley 61-0. Team features players such as Billy Dardis, Gary Ringrose, Ross Byrne, Ivan Soroka, Dylan Donnellan, Ross Molony, Josh Murphy and Peadar Timmins.
UCD have been strong as you would expect and their clash with also unbeaten Belvedere in Section A this weekend should be a super game

Lansdowne and Dublin Uni this weekend in Section B should also be a v good game.
Final rounds of first stage of league this weekend so all to play for ahead of Super Six phase 2
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

20s scheduled to play a Leinster Development XV on December 19th. These games have always been good tests for 20s going by past few years when they've played each other. No venue fixed yet
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

ormond lad wrote:20s scheduled to play a Leinster Development XV on December 19th. These games have always been good tests for 20s going by past few years when they've played each other. No venue fixed yet
Will be another game mid january which might be a final selection game for a few of the fringe squad members. Would expect Cian Kelleher to be in the mix. Is Rory O'Loughlin still injured? Good player but injuries have curtailed him a lot in recent years. 1st choice centers would be Robb & O'Loughlin in inmho would expect Ringrose to come into the equation for a starting spot if injuries continue. Might be doing Best from Ulster a dis-service but haven't seen him play
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Armchair wrote:
ormond lad wrote:20s scheduled to play a Leinster Development XV on December 19th. These games have always been good tests for 20s going by past few years when they've played each other. No venue fixed yet
Will be another game mid january which might be a final selection game for a few of the fringe squad members. Would expect Cian Kelleher to be in the mix. Is Rory O'Loughlin still injured? Good player but injuries have curtailed him a lot in recent years. 1st choice centers would be Robb & O'Loughlin in inmho would expect Ringrose to come into the equation for a starting spot if injuries continue. Might be doing Best from Ulster a dis-service but haven't seen him play
No doubt. Not sure on ROL. Think Parata could def push for inclusion at 13 and be ahead of Ringrose. Still lots of choice and plenty of quality which is not a bad complaint in the slightest
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Armchair wrote:
Best looked a decent player from the little I saw of him in the interpro game. Good goal-kicker too.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Darren O Shea from the Munster might be an option in the second row - has got some B&I gametime - bit of a Toner in thats he is 6'9". I met John Madigan about 3 years ago, when he was all of 16 - obviously a long way to go for him but he could be a real baby eater - absolute animal

Think Darren Sweetnam is still U20s -> he'll e there or thereabouts as well
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Golf Man wrote:Darren O Shea from the Munster might be an option in the second row - has got some B&I gametime - bit of a Toner in thats he is 6'9". I met John Madigan about 3 years ago, when he was all of 16 - obviously a long way to go for him but he could be a real baby eater - absolute animal

Cut off limit is 31st Dec 1993, i.e. every player must be born in 1994. So Madigan is eligible - and the flyer Greg O'Shea is eligible for the next four tournaments, as he is born in 1995 - but Sweetman [born '93] and Darren O'Shea [born '92] aren't. Madigan is a very, very big unit alright. Weighing in at 119kg already at 199cm - what are they feeding him down there!
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

hugonaut wrote:
Golf Man wrote:Darren O Shea from the Munster might be an option in the second row - has got some B&I gametime - bit of a Toner in thats he is 6'9". I met John Madigan about 3 years ago, when he was all of 16 - obviously a long way to go for him but he could be a real baby eater - absolute animal

Cut off limit is 31st Dec 1993, i.e. every player must be born in 1994. So Madigan is eligible - and the flyer Greg O'Shea is eligible for the next four tournaments, as he is born in 1995 - but Sweetman [born '93] and Darren O'Shea [born '92] aren't. Madigan is a very, very big unit alright. Weighing in at 119kg already at 199cm - what are they feeding him down there!
Think he was just sent out to live with cattle
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

Golf Man wrote:
hugonaut wrote:

Think he was just sent out to live with cattle
Darren o Shea is overage. Born in 92. Sweetnam is also overage - also a 93 with the cut off 1/1/94.
Hugo presume you mean 2 tournaments not 4 in relation to Greg O Shea?
Madigan is the son of a former Bohemians second row who played for Munster against New Zealand in 73 and 74. Very talented player