Ireland v All Blacks

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland v All Blacks

Post by fourthirtythree »

blues_fan wrote:Great stuff from Ireland. Pity for BOD, hope he's OK. Best too. 'Grats to ABs, amazing team this year. If we can agree on one thing it's clear this AB team brings out the best in every team they play. Japan game aside, since Jo'burg every game they have played has been an absolute belter. Jo'burg or Dublin, which was better?

edit: Love how the quiet for the kicker thing goes out the window when the game's on the line :lol: Can't blame 'em tho, after seeing my team play so well I'd be booing like a ghost too.
We all know NZ are great, but it's phenomenal how they could score that last try. Just the ability to back themselves to execute possibly the most positive rugby they played all game. I honestly can't feel ashamed after losing to that try. I felt pretty humiliated after the Oz debacle. Gutted today. But NZ exposed every weakness with nigh on perfect execution at pace.

I didn't even notice with the kick whether there was noise to be honest. I noticed for Sexton's last the crowd didn't get quiet (not that he'd care or anything) but in my heart it was all over once the try was scored. As Schmidt said when he was asked some dumb question about it "for us a draw would have been a defeat".
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

We'll do it in my Da's lifetime. He never thought we'd win a 6N in his...

sh!t. Now I'm hoping it won't happen for years.
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

fourthirtythree wrote:
We all know NZ are great, but it's phenomenal how they could score that last try. Just the ability to back themselves to execute possibly the most positive rugby they played all game. I honestly can't feel ashamed after losing to that try. I felt pretty humiliated after the Oz debacle. Gutted today. But NZ exposed every weakness with nigh on perfect execution at pace.

I didn't even notice with the kick whether there was noise to be honest. I noticed for Sexton's last the crowd didn't get quiet (not that he'd care or anything) but in my heart it was all over once the try was scored. As Schmidt said when he was asked some dumb question about it "for us a draw would have been a defeat".

The great thing about the quiet for the kicker thing is that it probably puts our kicker off having a deadly silent stadium more than being pelted with boos and abuse which is what they are used to here in NZ. You attain the moral high ground AND the tactical advantage which are usually mutually exclusive.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

fourthirtythree wrote:
blues_fan wrote:Great stuff from Ireland. Pity for BOD, hope he's OK. Best too. 'Grats to ABs, amazing team this year. If we can agree on one thing it's clear this AB team brings out the best in every team they play. Japan game aside, since Jo'burg every game they have played has been an absolute belter. Jo'burg or Dublin, which was better?

edit: Love how the quiet for the kicker thing goes out the window when the game's on the line :lol: Can't blame 'em tho, after seeing my team play so well I'd be booing like a ghost too.

there is a mental toughness about them and a willingness to back their skills no matter what the situation you have to admire. They showed it in the rugby league yesterday and in today's game, they won both games in the last play of the game and not with a scrappy score but with brilliant bits of rugby.

I'll repeat Ireland have nothing to be ashamed of and there should be no finger pointing at anyone in your 23 or on the coaching staff.

They were all a credit to the game and while you didn't quite win the match I think you have laid down a marker as to what the rest of the rugby world can expect from you under Schmidt.

The next side to face Ireland is going to be in for a very long 80 minutes
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

johng wrote:First time I went to Lansdowne Road was Tony Ensor's first home game v Wales. Just missed Tom Kiernan. Just missed the draw with NZ in 1973.

I thought we had it there. But hopefully we can kick on now and finally put these feckers away.... In my lifetime. How close can you get and still lose? Will Ma'a Nonu ever have a game that bad again? Will Darce ever have a game that good again?

These and many other questions answered when we return.........
There is the slight concern that we did a Connacht on it, you know play like possessed lunatic dervishes only for the big game and still fall short and then play humdrum for every other match. I think this will not be the case, only time will tell
No23
Bookworm

Post by No23 »

Very disappointed for Sexton.He really cost us the match with this poor kicking.The game was very similar to last years 2nd test in NZ.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

RoboProp wrote:
johng wrote:First time I went to Lansdowne Road was Tony Ensor's first home game v Wales. Just missed Tom Kiernan. Just missed the draw with NZ in 1973.

I thought we had it there. But hopefully we can kick on now and finally put these feckers away.... In my lifetime. How close can you get and still lose? Will Ma'a Nonu ever have a game that bad again? Will Darce ever have a game that good again?

There is the slight concern that we did a Connacht on it, you know play like possessed lunatic dervishes only for the big game and still fall short and then play humdrum for every other match. I think this will not be the case, only time will tell

I'd agree if it had been a scrappy low scoring draw with you defending all game long like the time Scotland beat the Aussies in 2009. But you got 3 trys and showed some great off loads, it was similar to watching Leinster tear apart Stades in the amlin final.

Ireland has the players, and as his CV suggests you know have the coach, this will be some 6 nations coming up
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

munster#1 wrote:Great coaching gave us a half time lead, than very, very, very,very poor coaching led us to an embarrassing loss
Just home from the game, gutted but proud of my team, and a performance we could only have dreamt of 12 months ago then i read what i think is a shameful post - 23 Irishmen gave their all and you wade in like a pathetic little troll - run along now, back under your rock.

It's times like this I wish the ignore button meant you did not see the quotes either - ah well. Apologies to probably the vast majority of folks on here who are already ignoring you, as I've added to that problem.

If that's an embarrassing defeat, well, I just feel sad for you in your sad little wumming world - hope the mods here see some sense as this and indeed you has no place on leinsterfans at all.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

If you're good enough you're old enough.

At the same token if you're good enough you are young enough. Well played Gordon Darcy it was painful listening to drivel on here by certain posters who have been spinning the same shite for the last two years. Hopefully they will pipe down now but I doubt it.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote:
RoboProp wrote:
blockhead wrote:Do the mods on here ever ban posters?
Well I reported him for what it is worth. Provincial sh1tstorms are a pox upon this forum lately. More Hugo, Ceemec, Jeezer and Paddyor less Munster Wummer Dumb
Out of interest, what did you report me for? I doubt having an opposing opinion is an offence.
If it prevents me being banned, Ireland were right to change their winning tactics to giving the superior opposition as much position as possible. And inthe end it showed that whoever decided to change tactics was 100% right
He reported you for dissing a fellow munsterman.
You did after all say something about kicking away possession and good ideas did you not.
Tut tut Young CONOR won't be happy with you at sll at all
Last edited by Oldschool on November 25th, 2013, 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Strangely enough my first visit to lr was the day we drew with NZ.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

munster#1 wrote:Great coaching gave us a half time lead, than very, very, very,very poor coaching led us to an embarrassing loss
Terrible comment. Do you feel you have a sufficient number of "very"s in that post?

Stayed up until 2am watching that game, reading message boards as I was going along. Some of the bile directed towards the likes of Heaslip was unbelievable. The man has an absolutely outstanding game, as many here would have predicted.

Irish rugby doesn't need fans like you.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Still gutted. Proud of the lads though.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Anyone take a guess at who played in the 2 narrow losses but not in the 2 blow outs?????

Sat 9th Jun 12 19:35 F New Zealand 42 - 10 Ireland
Sat 16th Jun 12 19:35 New Zealand 22 - 19 Ireland
Sat 23rd Jun 12 19:35 New Zealand 60 - 0 Ireland
Sun 24th Nov13 14:00 Ireland 22 - 24 New Zealand
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Anyone take a guess at who played in the 2 narrow losses but not in the 2 blow outs?????

Sat 9th Jun 12 19:35 F New Zealand 42 - 10 Ireland
Sat 16th Jun 12 19:35 New Zealand 22 - 19 Ireland
Sat 23rd Jun 12 19:35 New Zealand 60 - 0 Ireland
Sun 24th Nov13 14:00 Ireland 22 - 24 New Zealand
Gordon "the decrepid ould wreck who only gets a game cause of a biased coach" D'Arcy
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Really tells you a lot about some people that after THAT happened yesterday their first reaction is to post on here having a go at the "Leinster" coach.

"Have you no sense of decency, Sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?"

Ah I'm wasting my time, probably couldn't spell the word, let alone understand it.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Munster #1's comments are as dumb as I'v ever seen on here, which takes some effort - I won't repost them

Incredible effort and an unbelieveable first 20 in particular = its a simple game if you want it to be. Hard to recognise the pack from last week and everyone single one of them contributed hugely but particularly Healy, POC, Heaslip and SOB. Both hookers had great games as well. A nod to Toner as well, although it was a stupid penalty to give away

Murray was outstanding, Sexton was good but probably issues with his fitness - I don't know if he was injured at the end, but he certainly didn't look right taking the last penalty - took way way too long over it, and was outside his regular routine. That said it was a very very bad miss. You really really can't equate Murray kicking the ball away with Sextons miss - Murrays kick, bad decision that it might have been) had no effect, Sextons obviously did => comes with being the kicker I suppose. (someone else mentioend going for a drop goal just before half time - I was screaming out the tv for that play - was so obvious and would have been a real kick in teh gut to NZ

Great effort by all the backs, but we didn't create much. Obviously the gameplan was to target them upfront, which worked a treat, but we had no real cutting edge. Darcy had a great game in defence and in the tight - someone mentioned about people who didn't want him to be playing - I still think the decision was wrong, and still think Marshall should be ahead of him in the 6N - and I say this as real Marshall fan rather than anything else. For people mentioning Darcy playing in the two close games against NZ and not in the two blowouts - please, try to keep it relevant - I don't, and nobody should have an issue with Darcy - he never gives less than 100% - anybody with any sense of perspective can see that us playing Darcy and BOD for the 6N is counter productive. My posts last week may have seemed like I was attacking Darcy - not the case- I am just a huge huge fan of Marshall - the cutting edge that we are lacking that I mentioned above - I think he brings that more so than any other option at 12 or 13 at th moment

One thing though - there was obviously a sense of making up for last week and I've rarely seen the team so fired up - why do we need a bad defeat/sense of injustice to get this level of intensity? Its a bit like Munster of mid 2000s - you could argue that their whole everyone against us mantra was bullshit, but it worked. If our pack need to be fired up though then foster some sense of injustice and harness it - would be nice to think they'd have that approach to every game - the difference with last week could not have been more pronounced

Simple thing is though - we had teh ball with 30 seconds left in their half and couldn't close it out - galling to say the least

On Schmidt - he got the approach completely right yesterday, but obviously the tempo was completely wrong against Australia. Again its after the 6N that he needs to be judged, we are pretty much where we have been for the last 4 years at the moment - maddeningly inconsistent, and capabale of beating anyone on our day (a phrase that is being trotted out too much for my liking). This performance was exactly like Australia in 2011 - absolutely blew them away from the start and were savagely intense - if Schmidt can get this to be the norm, as POC alluded to yesterday, then we are headed the right way => lets not just focus on yesterday though, but all three games
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

Woke up this morning with still the same hole in my heart that I felt when NZ crossed for that try. This one will take a while to get over so I can't possibly imagine what it's like for the players. I'm not one to spout on about gallant defeats, moral victorys and ones that got away but there simply must be more to come from yesterday than another note in the book for the statisticians. We went toe to toe with the best rugby nation on earth and for forty minutes played the most outstanding rugby I've seen from an Irish side. This performance has to be the barometer from which all others in future are measured. History tells us that yesterday performance will be a blip, an abnormality and that Ireland will return to the humdrum performances which have beleagured the recent and distand past. The challenge for the players, the coaches, the management and the fans is to defy this trend. It's time we started to actually believe this is possible.

For what it's worth I thought D'Arcy was magnificant yesterday, as were Toner, Murray, Kearney, O'Connell, Healy, Heaslip, and O'Brien. It doesn't matter one iota what colour of jersey these guys wear when they play with their provinces. They are all Irishmen, they all put their bodies on the line every time they cross the white wash and yesterdays performance is something they, and us the supporters, all should take some manner of pride in. It's time to drop the shackles of provincial infighting and bile that's displayed between some section of the supporters. We need to grow up and move on, and above all believe in Joe.
mikey
Rhys Ruddock

Post by mikey »

ratpack wrote:Woke up this morning with still the same hole in my heart that I felt when NZ crossed for that try. This one will take a while to get over so I can't possibly imagine what it's like for the players. I'm not one to spout on about gallant defeats, moral victorys and ones that got away but there simply must be more to come from yesterday than another note in the book for the statisticians. We went toe to toe with the best rugby nation on earth and for forty minutes played the most outstanding rugby I've seen from an Irish side. This performance has to be the barometer from which all others in future are measured. History tells us that yesterday performance will be a blip, an abnormality and that Ireland will return to the humdrum performances which have beleagured the recent and distand past. The challenge for the players, the coaches, the management and the fans is to defy this trend. It's time we started to actually believe this is possible.

For what it's worth I thought D'Arcy was magnificant yesterday, as were Toner, Murray, Kearney, O'Connell, Healy, Heaslip, and O'Brien. It doesn't matter one iota what colour of jersey these guys wear when they play with their provinces. They are all Irishmen, they all put their bodies on the line every time they cross the white wash and yesterdays performance is something they, and us the supporters, all should take some manner of pride in. It's time to drop the shackles of provincial infighting and bile that's displayed between some section of the supporters. We need to grow up and move on, and above all believe in Joe.
What he said...... :happy clapper:
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

I think Schmidt's biggest mistake yesterday was leaving Sexton on. I know he probably wanted both half backs on for the full 80 (and that would have been part of his reason for starting Reddan against Oz) but Sexton was fine for smashing people but obviously couldn't run and that definitely influences the kicking. Murray had to kick more perhaps to protect Sexton. I don't know but I'm guessing as otherwise I don't see why he would have persisted with it as his kicking was 50/50 awful yesterday in an otherwise superb display.

Darcy showed why he was picked yesterday. He was no less a part of what was good about Ireland than Murray. He was much better than Sexton. Doesn't mean that he'll be playing in the 6N but Marshall could not have executed that game plan.

Ditto Gilroy, whom I would have started ahead of Dave Kearney. Schmidt got that right, even if it was conservative.