Moderator: moderators

IanD
Official Mascot

6 Nations 2014 - Other Nations.

Post by IanD »

Italian Squad Named.

Mirco Bergamasco recalled to Italian squad

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-natio ... lian-fold/

Fit-again centre Mirco Bergamasco could play for Italy for the first time in more than a year after being included in the squad for next month's Six Nations Championship.
Coach Jacques Brunel has named him in a 30-man selection for their opening two matches against champions Wales in Cardiff on 1 February and France in Paris eight days later.
Bergamasco, 30, fractured a kneecap when he last played for Italy against Australia in Florence in November 2012.
Brunel has also brought in Zebre Rugby fullback Giuglielmo Palazzani for the first time while Benetton Treviso winger Angelo Esposito is awaiting his first start.
Palazzani's Zebre team mate Marco Bortolami will reach 100 caps should he start either of the two games in the second row.

Italy Six Nations squad:
Martin Castrogiovanni, Lorenzo Cittadini, Alberto De Marchi, Michele Rizzo, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Davide Giazzon, Marco Bortolami, Marco Fuser, Quintin Geldenhuys, Antonio Pavanello, Robert Barbieri, Mauro Bergamasco, Paul Derbyshire, Joshua Furno, Sergio Parisse (captain), Alessandro Zanni. Backs: Edoardo Gori, Tobias Botes, Tommaso Allan, Luciano Orquera, Tommaso Benvenuti, Michele Campagnaro, Gonzalo Garcia, Alberto Sgarbi, Mirco Bergamasco, Angelo Esposito, Tommaso Iannone, Luke McLean, Guglielmo Palazzani, Leonardo Sarto.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: 6 Nations 2014 - Other Nations.

Post by IanD »

England Squad named.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/six-natio ... ons-squad/

Flood left out of England Six Nations squad

Toby Flood's England career looks officially over after George Ford was confirmed as his replacement in Stuart Lancaster's Elite Player Squad.
Former Leicester playmaker Ford is the only change to Lancaster's EPS, with Freddie Burns keeping his place alongside first-choice fly-half Owen Farrell.
England head coach Lancaster said: "We have kept changes to a minimum because we believe this squad can take us forward into 2015.
"I am delighted for George, who is rewarded for his form for Bath and we are excited about including him in the senior Elite Player Squad."
Leicester fly-half Flood will join Toulouse in the summer, and England do not select overseas-based players.
So Lancaster has chosen to jettison the former Newcastle man now rather than in the summer.
Flood's England career therefore appears to be over after winning 60 caps, while former Leicester man Ford steps into the squad on a full-time basis.
Lancaster has made only one official change to his EPS, but eight England Saxons stars are set to make senior England appearances during the RBS 6 Nations.
With injury concerns surrounding a host of senior England men, Lancaster has taken the option to promote a host of second-string men on a short-term basis.
Northampton's Luther Burrell, Exeter duo Tom Johnson and Jack Nowell, Jonny May from Gloucester and Matt Mullan from Wasps are all among that eight.
Leicester's Ed Slater, Sale prop Henry Thomas and Bath's young wing Anthony Watson complete the set.
Props Mullan and Thomas step up to cover tighthead David Wilson's calf injury which could sideline him for a month, the majority of the Six Nations tournament.
Lancaster has promoted these eight Saxons as cover for Manu Tuilagi, Tom Croft, Marland Yarde, Alex Corbisierio, Christian Wade, Geoff Parling and Ben Foden, as well as the doubt over Wilson.
Northampton's Stephen Myler, Bath hooker Rob Webber and Saracens scrum-half Richard Wigglesworth will also train with the senior squad.
Lancaster confirmed he has retained his injured crew of players with a hope he can take them on England's summer tour to New Zealand.
The England boss admitted he could not reasonably select Flood, despite pleading with the 28-year-old not to move to France in the summer.
Lancaster said: "We are hopeful that some of those injured may be available before the end of the Six Nations and certainly for the (summer) New Zealand tour.
"I have met Toby Flood several times and told him I really wanted him to stay at Leicester and play for England.
"He has made a lifestyle choice and we respect that, but given the RFU's policy of not selecting players based overseas save for exceptional circumstances it was important that we allow others such as George Ford to progress.
"Stephen Myler has a chance to lay down a marker when he trains with us while we have decided that Freddie Burns should get more international game time with the Saxons against the O2 Ireland Wolfhounds at Kingsholm on January 25, while Rob Webber and Richard Wigglesworth will give us some depth to our training."

England RBS Six Nations squad:

Forwards: Attwood (Bath), Cole (Leicester), Hartley (Northampton), Kvesic (Gloucester), Johnson (Exeter), Launchbury (Wasps), Lawes (Northampton), Marler (Harlequins), Morgan (Gloucester), Mullan (Wasps), Robshaw (Harlequins), Slater (Leicester), Thomas (Sale Sharks), B Vunipola (Saracens), M Vunipola (Saracens), Webber (Bath), Wood (Northampton), Youngs (Leicester).

Backs: Ashton (Saracens), Barritt (Saracens), Brown (Harlequins), Burrell (Northampton), Care (Harlequins), Dickson (Northampton), Eastmond (Bath), Farrell (Saracens), Ford (Bath), Goode (Saracens), May (Gloucester), Myler (Northampton), Nowell (Exeter), Twelvetrees (Gloucester), Youngs (Leicester), Watson (Bath), Wigglesworth (Saracens).
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

no french based players in the english squad. can't think of any rightnow but interesting either way
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

StrangeButBlue wrote:no french based players in the english squad. can't think of any rightnow but interesting either way
They don't pick players based in France.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Take Burrell away and that English back line is really lacking in size and power. If the French and Welsh packs can get 50% of the ball their backs will fancy their chances of them running all over them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Careless of Leicester to lose 2 talented outhalves so quickly. Ford to Bath, Flood to Toulouse.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:Careless of Leicester to lose 2 talented outhalves so quickly. Ford to Bath, Flood to Toulouse.
I think Flood was as much about his England prospects. They couldn't match the money on offer in France(I'm not sure who their marquee player is but I don't think it would make a difference) and he's been 2nd fiddle to Farrell for sometime now. It also looked like if 1 of them was to be dropped for a challenger it would be him. His aim now is to make as much as he can. I think this could start to happen with more English players of his age who are second fiddle or on the fringes of the EPS given that the English team now seems so settled before the world cup. Also there could be an exodus after 2015. Care seems to have fallen out of favour so my money would be on him. Also one of Brown, Foden and Goode.
I'd agree re Ford. Cockerill was pissed off at that one! His Dads the coach at Bath isn't he?
Wonder who they'll sign as a replacement. James O'Connor is only signed to the Not Nots until the end of the season.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JO'C signed for Toulon
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

paddyor wrote:
ronk wrote:Careless of Leicester to lose 2 talented outhalves so quickly. Ford to Bath, Flood to Toulouse.
I think Flood was as much about his England prospects. They couldn't match the money on offer in France(I'm not sure who their marquee player is but I don't think it would make a difference) and he's been 2nd fiddle to Farrell for sometime now. It also looked like if 1 of them was to be dropped for a challenger it would be him. His aim now is to make as much as he can. I think this could start to happen with more English players of his age who are second fiddle or on the fringes of the EPS given that the English team now seems so settled before the world cup. Also there could be an exodus after 2015. Care seems to have fallen out of favour so my money would be on him. Also one of Brown, Foden and Goode.
I'd agree re Ford. Cockerill was pissed off at that one! His Dads the coach at Bath isn't he?
Wonder who they'll sign as a replacement. James O'Connor is only signed to the Not Nots until the end of the season.
Suggestions in various media reports that Freddie Burns to Leicester is a done deal.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25715701

Six Nations 2014: Gethin Jenkins Wales injury worry for tournament
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/internati ... ons-squad/

No surprises in Wales Six Nations squad

Wales squad for the 2014 RBS 6 Nations Championship:
L Williams, L Halfpenny, G North, A Cuthbert, S Williams, J Roberts, J Davies, J Hook, R Priestland, D Biggar, M Phillips, R Williams, R Webb, P James, G Jenkins, R Bevington, A Jones, S Lee, Rhodri Jones, R Hibbard, K Owens, E Phillips, A-W Jones, L Charteris, I Evans, A Coombs, Ryan Jones, J Tipuric, S Warburton (capt), D Lydiate, A Shingler, T Faletau.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25744819

Six Nations 2014: Scotland call up Dougie Fife and Chris Fusaro

Edinburgh winger Dougie Fife is one of two uncapped players in Scotland's 36-man squad for the Six Nations campaign.
Glasgow Warriors flanker Chris Fusaro is also included by Scotland head coach Scott Johnson.

Scotland squad
Forwards: John Beattie (Montpellier), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, David Denton, Alasdair Dickinson, Ross Ford (all Edinburgh Rugby), Chris Fusaro (Glasgow Warriors), Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh Rugby), Ryan Grant, Jonny Gray (both Glasgow Warriors), Richie Gray (Castres), Jim Hamilton (Montpellier), Robert Harley (Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Newcastle Falcons), Kieran Low (London Irish), Moray Low, Pat MacArthur (both Glasgow Warriors), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh Rugby) Alasdair Strokosch (Perpignan), Tim Swinson and Ryan Wilson (both Glasgow Warriors).
Backs: Chris Cusiter (Glasgow Warriors), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh Rugby), Alex Dunbar (Glasgow Warriors), Max Evans (Castres), Dougie Fife (Edinburgh Rugby), Stuart Hogg, Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont (all Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh Rugby), Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors), Matt Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Tommy Seymour (Glasgow Warriors), Duncan Taylor (Saracens), Greig Tonks (Edinburgh Rugby) and Duncan Weir (Glasgow Warriors).
Injured list: Al Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Euan Murray (Worcester Warriors), Peter Horne (Glasgow Warriors) and Tim Visser (Edinburgh Rugby).
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

IanD wrote:http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/internati ... ons-squad/

L Williams, L Halfpenny, G North, A Cuthbert, S Williams, J Roberts, J Davies, J Hook, R Priestland, D Biggar, M Phillips, R Williams, R Webb, P James, G Jenkins, R Bevington, A Jones, S Lee, Rhodri Jones, R Hibbard, K Owens, E Phillips, A-W Jones, L Charteris, I Evans, A Coombs, Ryan Jones, J Tipuric, S Warburton (capt), D Lydiate, A Shingler, T Faletau.

I'd have selected the scrum half Davies from the Scarlets and Dollman The centre at Exeter other than it's a v solid squad.

Injuries are my main concern but if everyone is fit the team pretty much picks itself with only the 10 and lock position up for debate

halfpenny Cuthbert s Williams (davies when fit) Roberts north biggar/priestland Phillips

gethin hibbard adam
awj charteris/evans

lydiate warburton and toby f
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

JB1973 wrote:
IanD wrote:http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/internati ... ons-squad/

I'd have selected the scrum half Davies from the Scarlets and Dollman The centre at Exeter other than it's a v solid squad.

Injuries are my main concern but if everyone is fit the team pretty much picks itself with only the 10 and lock position up for debate

halfpenny Cuthbert s Williams (davies when fit) Roberts north biggar/priestland Phillips

gethin hibbard adam
awj charteris/evans

lydiate warburton and toby f
I'd always have Biggar ahead of Priestland, on club form. Not sure he's really translated that to the national team though.
Dont Panic!
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25773881

Six Nations 2014: Chris Robshaw reappointed England captain

England have named Chris Robshaw as captain for the Six Nations.
The Harlequins flanker, 27, first led his country for the 2012 tournament, and has captained the side in 19 of their last 22 Tests.
"Chris is in the team on merit as a player but he has also shown himself to be an outstanding leader," said England head coach Stuart Lancaster.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25800846

Six Nations: Thierry Dusautoir, France captain, out for four months

France captain Thierry Dusautoir is out of the Six Nations after tearing a tendon in his right biceps in Toulouse's 16-6 Heineken Cup victory over Italian club Zebre on Saturday.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ryan Jones out (via BBC)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

12 weeks for Evans
This could have a fairly significant impact on Wales' chances. Reckon that WG will want him to appeal.

http://www.ercrugby.com/news/27941.php#
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:12 weeks for Evans
This could have a fairly significant impact on Wales' chances. Reckon that WG will want him to appeal.

http://www.ercrugby.com/news/27941.php#
Davies is out too so theyre down 2 of their first 3 locks
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-union/25912546

Six Nations 2014: Sam Warburton on Wales bench for Italy match

WALES (v Italy): Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints); Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro); Paul James (Bath), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys, capt), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Toby Faletau (NG Dragons).
Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Andrew Coombs (NG Dragons), Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets).