November Internationals 2014

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

2 rounds of Pro12 more than enough for aimless speculation. Dont think theres too much debate over wider squad, TOD, Jones, Luke maybe but Bowe is the only certainty in the 3/4 line, 20, 22, 23 up for grabs too

Injured
Sherry, Moore, DF (assuming), Henderson, SOB, Murphy, DK, Tuohy, Ryan, Earls

Kearney,
Bowe, McFadden, Trimble, Zebo
Darcy, Olding, Henshaw, Payne
Sexton, Jackson, Madigan
Murray, Reddan, Marmion

Healy, McGrath, Kilcoyne
Best, Cronin, Varley
Ross, White
Toner, Kearney
POC, McCarthy,
Ruddock, Diack
SOB, Henry
Heaslip, Copeland

My prediction

RK, Bowe, Henshaw, Darcy, Trimble, Sexton, Murray
McGrath, Best, Ross, Toner, POC, Ruddock, Henry, Heaslip
Killer, Cronin, White, McCarthy, POM, Reddan, Madigan, Payne
Last edited by simonokeeffe on October 13th, 2014, 6:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
HenryFitz
Bookworm

Re: November Internationals 2015

Post by HenryFitz »

D'Arcy and O'Connell will have retired. Think there's some hope that the injured lads will have recovered in time, though they might get re-injured in the interim. Are these fixtures part of the IRFU's push for more compensation from the World Cup? Schedule them, and then force the IRB to cancel them?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: November Internationals 2014

Post by simonokeeffe »

2014 meant 2014
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not sure where to put this but I see Lancaster has got an extension until 2020...not usually a fan of coaches getting such long term deals BUT any chance we could do the same with Joe?? I'd make an exception in his case!

Can see this not working out well for England. Lancaster has done a really good job over all but don't think he's the man to take them forward for too much longer. They have a very very strong plan A which could even see them winning the World Cup, but I don't think he's great tactically and whilst he's created an incredibly strong Plan A, his attempts to move beyond that have had very mixed results. To my mind they need to rein themselves in a bit and go back to their strengths, a World Cup win isn't behind them if they do, but think it'd be found out fairly soon after.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

He's won nothing yet either. This year they've to travel to Ireland and Wales. Wales won't be easy either even with limitations of welsh game plan they're always up for it.

Did he really get an extension that long?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I would agree with previous points. Lancaster has done a good job in changing the culture of the English team but on the field I don't see anything special and has won nothing yet. So as an Ireland fan I'm happy to see him sign a long term contract. As we've seen with many teams, things can get stale when the same man is in charge for a long period of time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

a chronic lack of props/ones that scrummage might do him in too (Cole and Corbisiero are circling the drain) and their best chance at success is bosh rugby of the highest order and to hope Farrell stays fit. Joe Ford looks the real deal but a chronic lack of midfield creativity/passing kind of negates his skillset. IMO theyre weak on the wings too especially in regards to people who fit the gameplan
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Would agree with that Simon.

It's funny, I've always been a massive critic of Farrell, but now I think he's their best hope of becoming a top class team. I still don't think he's great, but he's improved a lot and even his defence alone is a game changer. That helps get them on the front foot and allows him to knock over penalties as a result. In theory it should be one dimensional and easy to stop, but it really isn't.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Would agree with that Simon.

It's funny, I've always been a massive critic of Farrell, but now I think he's their best hope of becoming a top class team. I still don't think he's great, but he's improved a lot and even his defence alone is a game changer. That helps get them on the front foot and allows him to knock over penalties as a result. In theory it should be one dimensional and easy to stop, but it really isn't.
its like the giant boulder in Indiana Jones

Slade at Exeter is good too but England were suffering (like France) from a multitude of foreign 10s, now more of running 10s when they want kicking 10s
The Anathemata
Knowledgeable

Post by The Anathemata »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not sure where to put this but I see Lancaster has got an extension until 2020...not usually a fan of coaches getting such long term deals BUT any chance we could do the same with Joe?? I'd make an exception in his case!

Can see this not working out well for England. Lancaster has done a really good job over all but don't think he's the man to take them forward for too much longer. They have a very very strong plan A which could even see them winning the World Cup, but I don't think he's great tactically and whilst he's created an incredibly strong Plan A, his attempts to move beyond that have had very mixed results. To my mind they need to rein themselves in a bit and go back to their strengths, a World Cup win isn't behind them if they do, but think it'd be found out fairly soon after.
Could well end up being another expensive basket case, a la Moyes & Pardew. IRFU are never going to offer Joe a 6 year contract. It would make him too powerful and potentially compromise their own blazerdom status.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

The Anathemata wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Not sure where to put this but I see Lancaster has got an extension until 2020...not usually a fan of coaches getting such long term deals BUT any chance we could do the same with Joe?? I'd make an exception in his case!

Could well end up being another expensive basket case, a la Moyes & Pardew. IRFU are never going to offer Joe a 6 year contract. It would make him too powerful and potentially compromise their own blazerdom status.
youd assume the old farts in RFU have break clauses in there or capped payoffs or performance related criteria

IRFU probably shy now after kamikaze extensions to the two previous coaches
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Don't think Joe would commit to that long a contact. He may have his eyes on a certain NZ post after Mr Hansen. I'd love to keep him until the next World Cup but I can't see it.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ichabodscrane wrote:Don't think Joe would commit to that long a contact. He may have his eyes on a certain NZ post after Mr Hansen. I'd love to keep him until the next World Cup but I can't see it.
way NZ works hed have to take a super rugby job first but

hopefully Tim Schmidt can make a few age grades and Leinster academy and that encourages him to stay here :D
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

simonokeeffe wrote:
ichabodscrane wrote:Don't think Joe would commit to that long a contact. He may have his eyes on a certain NZ post after Mr Hansen. I'd love to keep him until the next World Cup but I can't see it.
way NZ works hed have to take a super rugby job first but

hopefully Tim Schmidt can make a few age grades and Leinster academy and that encourages him to stay here :D

Do you pick teams on form or knowledge of the system?
Interesting times ahead.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Injured (updated)
Healy, DF (assuming), Henderson, Tuohy, Ryan, SOB, Murphy, DK, Earls, McFadden

probable team

RK, Bowe, Henshaw, Darcy, Trimble, Sexton, Murray
McGrath, Best, Ross, Toner, POC, Ruddock, Henry, Heaslip
Cronin, Cronin, Moore, M Kearney, POM, Reddan, Madigan, Payne

blindside (POM v Ruddock) only starting jersey that looks anywhere near up for grabs (and 20 by extension)
If Cronin starts for Munster in Europe he should make 17
19 and 23 the other ones in play
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Will Sexton be available after his broken jaw?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ichabodscrane wrote:Will Sexton be available after his broken jaw?
unless there was a complication/infection yes, he should be back for one or two of their euro games based on original timeframe
ichabodscrane
Graduate

Post by ichabodscrane »

Team v Georgia: assuming the South Africa match up will be attritional and we'll need to rest key players for Australia.

Payne, Zebo, Cave, Olding, McFadden, Madigan, Marmion

Cronin, Cronin, Moore, M Kearney, D Foley, POM (c), TOD, Copeland.

Subs: Strauss, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick/White, McCarthy, Ryan/McKeon/Faloon, Reddan, Jackson, Macken/Reid/Fitz (if available would be a certainty).

Highly unlikely given the wholesale changes that I've selected but I'd like to see something like that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ichabodscrane wrote:Team v Georgia: assuming the South Africa match up will be attritional and we'll need to rest key players for Australia.

Payne, Zebo, Cave, Olding, McFadden, Madigan, Marmion

Cronin, Cronin, Moore, M Kearney, D Foley, POM (c), TOD, Copeland.

Subs: Strauss, Kilcoyne, Fitzpatrick/White, McCarthy, Ryan/McKeon/Faloon, Reddan, Jackson, Macken/Reid/Fitz (if available would be a certainty).

Highly unlikely given the wholesale changes that I've selected but I'd like to see something like that.
doubt we'll see McFadden this side of Christmas, initial comments from MOC that its very serious injury
tricktreat
Learner

Post by tricktreat »

The big question will be can Henry, Trimble and Toner reproduce the form they showed last season.
Finding a settled centre partnership is also crucial.

I think Ruddock would be a good option against passive backrows.
Wouldn't have himslef and Toner in the same team against the Boks though.