Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Post by Peg Leg »

Didn't think May would be jettisoned from the squad entirely!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

I'd say the fact he just convers wing goes against him. Cipriani can play at full back if needs be (although they would just move Watson here and Joseph to the wing if that came about as per the Italy game).
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Quick query, best spot to watch the game in on Sat (in town), somewhere that does decent food too!
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

flustered wrote:Quick query, best spot to watch the game in on Sat (in town), somewhere that does decent food too!
See the help please! thread. Hard to pick just one.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Cheers for that offshore, think will stick to the Grafton Street area
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Murphy in for Heaslip, O'Donnell for Murphys spot on the bench
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Not pleased with the persistent picking of Jones over Fitz. Joe may know best and all that jazz, but f**k me that's some conservative sh!t right there
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

RoboProp wrote:Not pleased with the persistent picking of Jones over Fitz. Joe may know best and all that jazz, but f**k me that's some conservative sh!t right there
Says it all about the game plan. 600 full backs and a pack. If we win I won't give a single ounce of fock though.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

johng wrote:
RoboProp wrote:Not pleased with the persistent picking of Jones over Fitz. Joe may know best and all that jazz, but f**k me that's some conservative sh!t right there
Says it all about the game plan. 600 full backs and a pack. If we win I won't give a single ounce of fock though.
Yeah but Jones is only likely to get on if there's an injury to one of the back three.
If Ireland find themselves chasing the game in the last quarter, a Luke or an Keith Earls could make an impact off the bench, while also covering more positions than Jones.
Still, it's only a minor quibble really.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I think it's a bit harsh on Jones to be singling out his selection. Whenever I've seen him play this year he has looked good.

That being said I'm please with the team and especially the bench which looks really strong. England are a pretty young team so I wouldn't expect us to blitz them or anything like that in the final quarter but at least we will be able to keep them thinking for the full 80. Still nervous about our chances though but I've a feeling this is going to be epic.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

starting 15 shows 7 changes from the game in Twickenham last year. England shows 9 :shock:
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

think we've possibly swung too far from personnel based selections to systems based, but at same time its probably a good thing (and players will love and respond to it) that you come in do the job you keep the jersey
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Would have gone with Fitz myself for the bench. Look sharp as a tack these days
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

offshorerules wrote:I think it's a bit harsh on Jones to be singling out his selection. Whenever I've seen him play this year he has looked good.

That being said I'm please with the team and especially the bench which looks really strong. England are a pretty young team so I wouldn't expect us to blitz them or anything like that in the final quarter but at least we will be able to keep them thinking for the full 80. Still nervous about our chances though but I've a feeling this is going to be epic.
I don't think Jones is being singled out as a player but rather as an example of a system issue. He's fine. Is obviously a leader as well as a fine player but as with Donny I would prefer either of pearls or Luke at 23. Allows for tactical rather than injury based substitution and also cover more spots to avoid disruption. Plus game changers with more impact off the bench. You have barely noticed Jones When he's been on. I doubt we would be saying that about say Earls.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

offshorerules wrote:I think it's a bit harsh on Jones to be singling out his selection. Whenever I've seen him play this year he has looked good.

Not having at go at Jones who've developed into a fine full back, just think there are better options for that slot on the bench.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Luke being left footed cost him spot on the bench according tp Joe
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

As with many above I would have goner with an alternative to Jones. However it is pretty good to be looking at a selection where that is the only area of contention. Think back to the DK days when we would probably have had two pages of discussion by now as there would be a handful of selection issues in the 15 and the bench would be a disaster even if it was never really used.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote:Luke being left footed cost him spot on the bench according tp Joe
Well that's what he gets for speaking the Gaelic on TG4, bloody Citeog!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I agree with what has been said about Jones.

He's a good player but he'll be sitting on the bench for 80 mins unless there is an injury.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ireland are playing winning rugby at all costs, it is low risk, low excitement rugby. As with all irish ppl, I am happy we look like a team capable of beating anyone, but I had hoped that this season would show progression on last.

With the players and coaches we have I would love to see a more exciting brand of rugby, I would love to see our back line throwing the ball around a bit more. What's the point in having players like kearney, bowe, zebo, Payne and henshaw with great natural ability if we don't give them the ball, and if we do we get them to kick it in the air and chase.

I will he cheering my head off when we win, and will be taking the piss out of my English friends, but I do know that when Ireland are playing it is possible to go and make a cup of tea and return to find that I have missed nothing.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.