Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Post by Logorrhea »

So little Ireland take on the might of the Engerlanders in the Aviva.

Healy an option to come back into the side?

Will Jordi be brought in to play 8?

Did Zeebs do enough to retain his place on the wing? Personally I thought he had a pretty average game. What about Rob to the wing, and Felix in at FB? Or just Dave to the wing?
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland vs England - 01/03/2015 15:00

Post by nelly the elephant »

Logorrhea wrote:So little Ireland take on the might of the Engerlanders in the Aviva.

Healy an option to come back into the side?

Will Jordi be brought in to play 8?

Did Zeebs do enough to retain his place on the wing? Personally I thought he had a pretty average game. What about Rob to the wing, and Felix in at FB? Or just Dave to the wing?
With you on the first two changes- I think you start with your strongest players playing in their natural positions and on that basis Healy has to start and Murphy the "natural" replacement for Heaslip. The suggested Zebo change? Not sure......I think he was fairly good against the Italians with a bit of a drop off against France. I wouldn't like to move RK from fullback though regardless...... he's been playing great stuff. I thought his positional play/reading of the game was superb on Saturday.
Last edited by nelly the elephant on February 16th, 2015, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I've seen Zebo criticised a few times now, was I alone in thinking he was pretty good? Although Huget was anonymous and we used Bowe more for chasing kicks etc so he wasn't overly involved.

I'm a bit worried about us not having a proper 8 against that English scrum.

I think the last two games have shown why Jones shouldn't be kept on the bench, really hope we don't pick him again. No offence to the guy but just don't see how it makes sense. Also hope Reddan is back and that we use the subs earlier, at least in the front row.

Might Rory Best's place be in trouble? Didn't think he did a whole lot on Saturday.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Best is very handy at the break down in fairness to the guy, injuries aside is there any real need to change the team?
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Rob to wing would be madness.. I don't think he's played there since Girve was playing. Agree with LRIP that Zebo's been good.. certainly doesn't warrant getting dropped. Healy in, Henderson, Murphy or maybe even Ruddock if fit into the back row. I'd be inclined to drop Jones out of the squad even though he's done nothing wrong.. he just doesn't provide enough impact off the bench, I'd prefer Fitz or Earls.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

JB1973 wrote:Best is very handy at the break down in fairness to the guy, injuries aside is there any real need to change the team?
I'm going to put my neck on the block here and say- he wasn't very effective over the ball on Saturday.

RE: The Zebo stuff, I think it's very telling that Zebo is being called in to the centre to be the creative spark!
That's more an issue with our centres than it is with Zebo! He's great in space, but his dancing feet don't seem to fool anyone in traffic.

Thought it didn't effect us too much v France, but against Italy- anytime the ball went to his wing, he was missing (partly because he was the one creating the opportunity), but it appeared to be a bad use of resources.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cant see any changes 9-15 and dont think there should be

My guess is Healy to start, maybe plays for us this weekend for gametime, Best too
Would love to see Henderson start for his extra physicality compared to Murphy, would mean Murphy and TOD on bench unless Ruddock plays this weekend

Reddan back on bench

Have to say Toner was excellent again, MVP for first two rounds
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Parling looks like he will be back available for England, if I was them I'd have him and corbiserio on the bench not sure if Lancaster will change anything though (brown injury maybe an issue).
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

With regards to Zebo ............. looking at how Tommy and Rob compete under high balls (attacking), I just don't think Zebo has been strong enough in competing for those kicks. Its such a key part of our game that, doing okay isn't good enough.

On of the reasons Trimble was so effective for us last year was his physicality in the air. I'm not suggesting that Zebo was poor, or is a poor player, though I didn't think he had a particular good game. I just wonder if another player could suit, what is becoming a fairly conservative (but winning) game plan, better.

On a side point. Is Graham Kitchener, the Leicester lock injured or something? Hes been in fantastic form. Anyone know why he isn't getting a look in for England?
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Logorrhea wrote:With regards to Zebo ............. looking at how Tommy and Rob compete under high balls (attacking), I just don't think Zebo has been strong enough in competing for those kicks. Its such a key part of our game that, doing okay isn't good enough.

On of the reasons Trimble was so effective for us last year was his physicality in the air. I'm not suggesting that Zebo was poor, or is a poor player, though I didn't think he had a particular good game. I just wonder if another player could suit, what is becoming a fairly conservative (but winning) game plan, better.

On a side point. Is Graham Kitchener, the Leicester lock injured or something? Hes been in fantastic form. Anyone know why he isn't getting a look in for England?

he's fit but Lancaster doesn;'t seem to fancy him for some reason? Can't understand what he doesn't like about him he is outstanding every time I see him play

In fairness to Zebo think most players would suffer in comparison to Bowe and Kearney who are both superb under the high ball, I think the ex GAA background helps them no end
Vamos los azules
Mullet

Post by Vamos los azules »

:?
Logorrhea wrote: On a side point. Is Graham Kitchener, the Leicester lock injured or something? Hes been in fantastic form. Anyone know why he isn't getting a look in for England?
He has been in training with England but sent back to Leicester. I think his problem is that England have so many locks to choose from, even if not many are fit at the moment. If everyone is fit come world cup selection time then they already have Launchbury, Lawes, Attwood, Parling and Kruis who have proved they can perform at international level so now probably isn't the time to introduce Kitchener.

Post World Cup I suspect Parling will be given Lancaster's over 30s treatment and advised that younger options will be being looked at with a view to 2019 and at that stage the likes of Kitchener and Itoje will come into the mix, although none of Launchbury, Lawes, Attwood and Kruis are particularly old so there will be plenty of competition.
"You can’t defend like the boss one week and the cookie man the next".
goonerjohn
Beginner

Post by goonerjohn »

George Kruis has been very impressive one of the finds in this new look ENG team with Ford, Joseph, Watson, Kieran Brookes etc he deserves to keep his place just unfortunate on Graham Kitchener.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

goonerjohn wrote:George Kruis has been very impressive one of the finds in this new look ENG team with Ford, Joseph, Watson, Kieran Brookes etc he deserves to keep his place just unfortunate on Graham Kitchener.
Brookes played underage for us too the scoundrel
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I thought Zebo was great. Payne was the most disappointing player for me going forward.

Best is gone, IMO. He gave everything in his prime but I don't think there's enough in the locker, between spotty games and constant injuries. Strauss seems just as injury prone though. I'd start Cronin and have Best on the bench.re not even really trying to be an offensive team, which I personally find...offensive tbh.

This ropeadope is a bit unnecessary and - if we're not careful - could give us an injury list we really don't need in an RWC year. It's like we're not even looking for space anymore.
goonerjohn
Beginner

Post by goonerjohn »

Kieran Brooks is a very good scrummager and a very powerful 130KG ball carrier. Henry Thomas has been a revelation at Bath since his move from Sale and is 4th in the pecking order. Brooke's has played for both ENG/IRE youth teams I think.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Logorrhea wrote:With regards to Zebo ............. looking at how Tommy and Rob compete under high balls (attacking), I just don't think Zebo has been strong enough in competing for those kicks. Its such a key part of our game that, doing okay isn't good enough.

You might go to the bother of finding out how many aerial contests Zebo competed in before you drop him for not winning any such contests.
Tommy Bowe competed successfully on all the restarts to the RIGHT wing. Ireland kicked all their restarts to the right wing. When Ireland kicked long ( always long) to the left wing in the Autumn games it was Zebo who was always first tackler. Shorter more contestable was competed for by the forwards.
Kearney and particularly Bowe were brillant in the air last week.

It's a bit confusing that some
people's criteria for dropping a winger from a Joe Schmidt coached team is that he didn't win any of the kicks that weren't kicked to him in the air.
Last year he wasn't picked because of various " workons" . Both defensive and breakdown work is at the required level. Now that he has satisfactorily addressed those he has to win ball in the air on the right wing.
In fairness to Zebo he showed Ireland's only real sparks of creativity in two games with his choice and execution of passes v Italy facilitating line breaks.
We had one chance to score a try Saturday when both the choice and execution of the pass left a lot to be desired
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

Personally, I thought the drop in ability from Sexo to Maddog was really evident and I wouldn't be surprised if Keatley came onto the bench.

I'd leave the starting 15 as is, apart from bringing Luke in to 13 for Payne.
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Obviously with Heaslip out there will be changes but I'd imagine Joe will keep them to a minimum. That said if Healy is fully fit I think we will need his physical presence against the English. For what its worth and I hope I'm wrong I think the English have to be favourites for this one. Just the physicality is my worry.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
outcast eddie
Mullet

Post by outcast eddie »

offshorerules wrote:Obviously with Heaslip out there will be changes but I'd imagine Joe will keep them to a minimum. That said if Healy is fully fit I think we will need his physical presence against the English. For what its worth and I hope I'm wrong I think the English have to be favourites for this one. Just the physicality is my worry.
I think the forwards fronted up really well against a Toulonesque French pack last weekend. They can match it with anyone in the loose but its England's scrum that worries me. I'm willing to bet Joe has a plan to mitigate for that though
The odds are good but the goods are odd.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

All Blacks nil wrote:It's a bit confusing that some people's criteria for dropping a winger from a Joe Schmidt coached team is that he didn't win any of the kicks that weren't kicked to him in the air.
Its only confusing when you put on your stupid hat and think stupid like. As you yourself said, "Kearney and particularly Bowe were brillant in the air last week". I agree, but I go one step further and wonder what it would be like if we had the other winger competing at that same standard. Its not a matter of dropping a poor player, I think Zebos is a good player, defensively he's solid and he has the invisible x-factor that the media love, but............. if we have a better option for competing in the air (a key part of our game plan) then it would be daft not to bring them in.
All Blacks nil wrote:In fairness to Zebo he showed Ireland's only real sparks of creativity in two games with his choice and execution of passes v Italy facilitating line breaks.
Madigans pass to O'Donnell doesn't count no? Its a bit confusing what some people's criteria for "real sparks of creativity" only apply to Munster players.