Shane Jennings

Re: 31 Man Ireland RWC Squad

Post by munster#1 »

Flash Gordon wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:In the warm up games:
Luke and Zebo did not really put a hand up for selection,
Earls put one hand up,
DK and Jones put both hands up shouting "pick me, Pick me"
Maybe slightly harsh on Zebo and Earls but Dave and Jones definitely did - albeit, Jones against pitiful opposition. I wouldn't actually be surprised if Bowe didn't make it as I understand his fitness may be in question. On Luke, he is a Lions quality back and probably one of the few genuine game breakers outside Sexton. If the lad didn't break so much he'd be close to 100 caps. A real dilemma for Joe.
Imo by the time of the France game dave k will be starting on the wing, he is the exact type of player that Joe loves, as he fits his safe and boring game plan.

Fitz has not been a lions standard player since 2009, due to injury his career really stalled. To say he is a game breaker is completely overstating his abilities.

His try scoring record along with his low number of yards / clean break per game would show just how wrong you are.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Flash Gordon wrote:
olaf the fat wrote:In the warm up games:
Luke and Zebo did not really put a hand up for selection,
Earls put one hand up,
DK and Jones put both hands up shouting "pick me, Pick me"
Maybe slightly harsh on Zebo and Earls but Dave and Jones definitely did - albeit, Jones against pitiful opposition. I wouldn't actually be surprised if Bowe didn't make it as I understand his fitness may be in question. On Luke, he is a Lions quality back and probably one of the few genuine game breakers outside Sexton. If the lad didn't break so much he'd be close to 100 caps. A real dilemma for Joe.
If Luke Fitz is truly a game breaker at club or international level list the last two games on which he made such an impact. You will have to delve deep.
Luke played for the Lions over six years ago.
In the two seasons prior to the 2009 Lions luke scored in 15 of his 41 games. In the six seasons since he has scored in 10 out of 82 matches, while playing in what was for a decent spell the top team in Europe. Prior to his try v Scotland he had scored in one of his previous 29 internationals.

Last season he played 17 games for Leinster scored one try in a comprehensive home victory v Zebre (29-8) and amazingly for such a talented player only provided one assist in a similarly comprehensive home win v Edinburgh (33-8). The reputation built in 08 and 09 is at least long lasting.

He is industrious and efficient but he is hardly a game breaker and has not been for quite a few years.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruaidhri O'Connor saying Furlong is going ahead of Bent and we're taking 6 props and 2 scrumhalves, Marty Moore not to make it but also Earls out with cheek injury, maybe Luke too. One doesnt make it the other goes, they both dont make it then Cave has to go
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

Not sure of a selection with only 2 LH with one of them recovering from injury going in to the wc. Can furlong or White play LH. Otherwise unsurprising.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

We're now 5 minutes away from the deadline to submit the squad. I doubt Joe is sitting in his room tossing a coin. They're really dragging this out.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Broken Wing wrote:We're now 5 minutes away from the deadline to submit the squad. I doubt Joe is sitting in his room tossing a coin. They're really dragging this out.
The squad isn't being announced until tomorrow even though it has to be submitted today. Don't know how that works but there ye go! Rumours flying all over the place now.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Surely it'll leak. I'd be very surprised if the papers in the morning don't have it.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Yeah you'd imagine so. I was surprised at the lack of rumours earlier but now there seems to be a new casualty every five minutes. It really must have been torture for the players.
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

I've no doubt the players were told before the squad was sent in.
Pro 12 Champions 14!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Me neither, they were told yesterday, I just meant the process in general. Maybe someone got a call saying they didn't make it and throws it into a whatsapp group while others are still waiting to hear, that kind of thing.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

can't credibly claim zebo didn't make a claim in the warm ups - scored in both his outings created one for Jones v Wales and proved his versatility

selection isn't going to go down solely on the last three games but on the last two years. In the back 3 where it's the really tight call I think Fitz will get in but shouldn't - hasn't a backbone of work for ireland since 2013. hasn't Benn overly impressive in warm ups hasn't convinced with versatility. same kind of goes for Earls but I think he has been better in the warm ups. DK has done well but should in no way be selected over bowe or trimble
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Golf Man wrote:can't credibly claim zebo didn't make a claim in the warm ups - scored in both his outings created one for Jones v Wales and proved his versatility

selection isn't going to go down solely on the last three games but on the last two years. In the back 3 where it's the really tight call I think Fitz will get in but shouldn't - hasn't a backbone of work for ireland since 2013. hasn't Benn overly impressive in warm ups hasn't convinced with versatility. same kind of goes for Earls but I think he has been better in the warm ups. DK has done well but should in no way be selected over bowe or trimble
In no way.... except on form :roll:
bronxbull
Knowledgeable

Post by bronxbull »

Tadhg Furlong rumoured to have made it....Moore out?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

He hasn't been able to get the back wheels onto the tarmac yet this season. Just ran out of time. Foot injury too. Makes it hard to keep fitness and also hard to Scrumage.
Furlong looks the re deal too.
G'wan wexford
id@53
Bookworm

Post by id@53 »

Forwards: Rory Best, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong, Cian Healy, Iain Henderson, Paul O’Connell (capt), Jamie Heaslip, Chris Henry, Jack McGrath, Jordi Murphy, Sean O’Brien, Peter O’Mahony, Mike Ross, Donnacha Ryan, Richardt Strauss, Devin Toner, Nathan White.
Backs: Tommy Bowe, Darren Cave, Keith Earls, Luke Fitzgerald, Dave Kearney, Rob Kearney, Robbie Henshaw, Paddy Jackson, Ian Madigan, Conor Murray, Jared Payne, Eoin Reddan, Johnny Sexton, Simon Zebo.

(from the Indo http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/b ... 91398.html and also the42.ie http://www.the42.ie/ireland-world-cup-s ... 4-Aug2015/)
leinster4life13
Mullet

Post by leinster4life13 »

Cave is a big shock, guess he was quietly sawing down trees in training
The Harry Vermass fanclub

Heroes: David Knox, Carlos Spencer, Marc Lieveremont, Ian Madigan.

Villains: Kidney, O'Gara, Phillpe St Andre, Laporte, Cork Con Mafia,Matt O'Connor.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Breaking news..... "Darren Cave seen with chisel behind Carton house in attempt to make his face fit"

www.outdependent.ie/implausible
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

beanbagsports. Ain't that yerman Dave O'Grady of Talking Rugby fame?
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Would be great to see furlong get some international experience before coming down to munster.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.