Scrap the Lions?

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

FLIP
Seán Cronin

Re: Scrap the Lions?

Post by FLIP »

British Media getting all bent out of shape by SOB saying better coaching would have resulted in a 3-0 Lions win.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/41342719

Well, he's not wrong.
Anyone But New Zealand
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

FLIP wrote:British Media getting all bent out of shape by SOB saying better coaching would have resulted in a 3-0 Lions win.

Well, he's not wrong.

Any articles I have read have just given SOB's views, not many getting all bent out of shape about it at all. Even the uber parochial (insert other word here) walesonline posters all agree with SOB even if they have a problem with him being a whiny Irish man. Howley was a great player but looks like an average coach and has done for years. Gatland has limitations as a coach because of the style of play he is committed to playing we saw that when he failed to hammer a rubbish Oz side 3 nil with the Lions four years ago. SOB is pointing out the obvious which probably does not need to be said at this point I would rather he concentrate on Leinster.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Players dumping the coach is a bad sign for the coach. Welsh fans have been scathing of Howley for years
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Billy V saying they would have won 3 0 under Eddie
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

johng wrote:Billy V saying they would have won 3 0 under Eddie
Brilliant
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

For a second there thought you meant dagger
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

OTT wrote:
FLIP wrote:British Media getting all bent out of shape by SOB saying better coaching would have resulted in a 3-0 Lions win.

Well, he's not wrong.

Any articles I have read have just given SOB's views, not many getting all bent out of shape about it at all. Even the uber parochial (insert other word here) walesonline posters all agree with SOB even if they have a problem with him being a whiny Irish man. Howley was a great player but looks like an average coach and has done for years. Gatland has limitations as a coach because of the style of play he is committed to playing we saw that when he failed to hammer a rubbish Oz side 3 nil with the Lions four years ago. SOB is pointing out the obvious which probably does not need to be said at this point I would rather he concentrate on Leinster.
Not so sure about that.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph ... aches/amp/
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Torygraph claiming Gatty wants a meeting with SOB, cos phones are too useful, only published first two lines of SOBs clarification statement
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Meanwhile we have that fanboy Cummiskey on the radio calling SOB a legend. "The Lions should have stayed quiet" - what an absolute load of sh!t. I don't know if what SOB said is true or not (I'll wait to see if others back him up) but Howley and everyone else has the f%~king right to defend themselves. Gav is so brutal. Why do they ask him for insight?
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

simonokeeffe wrote:Torygraph claiming Gatty wants a meeting with SOB, cos phones are too useful, only published first two lines of SOBs clarification statement
Torygraph taking a break from literally, I sh!t you not, threatening war with Spain* among other incendiary infantile positions, to stir it up on rugby? Get back to me when something interesting happens.

*and proving by one satiric touch, no nation needed the EU so much...
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Torygraph claiming Gatty wants a meeting with SOB, cos phones are too useful, only published first two lines of SOBs clarification statement
Torygraph taking a break from literally, I sh!t you not, threatening war with Spain* among other incendiary infantile positions, to stir it up on rugby? Get back to me when something interesting happens.
yeah its a 3rd level textbook case of media bias/agenda/pandering
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Man who regularly attacks people in the media Warren Gatland says he wont coach the Lions again after the NZ media were mean to him and SOB hurt his feelings
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:Man who regularly attacks people in the media Warren Gatland says he wont coach the Lions again after the NZ media were mean to him and SOB hurt his feelings
See also: Head coach of union uses media to deflect from said union's flip-flop on foreign based player rule and losing star scrum-half.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Man who regularly attacks people in the media Warren Gatland says he wont coach the Lions again after the NZ media were mean to him and SOB hurt his feelings
See also: Head coach of union uses media to deflect from said union's flip-flop on foreign based player rule and losing star scrum-half.
Hadnt thought of that

Also seems like he was leaving anyway post 2019 and wanted some attention/excuses

complaining about NZ press seems like shooting himself in the foot if he wants an all blacks job
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
Hadnt thought of that

Also seems like he was leaving anyway post 2019 and wanted some attention/excuses

complaining about NZ press seems like shooting himself in the foot if he wants an all blacks job
Scrap that.. He's got a book to sell https://www.amazon.co.uk/Line-Fire-Insi ... en+gatland
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ahhhhhhhhhhh

so he loves SOB then

next week he'll have a go at Bomber
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

From the rugbypaper
Peter Jackson writes in The Rugby Paper that he understands that the British and Irish Lions tour in 2017 generated a record £5m surplus for equal distribution among the four home countries.

The £1.25m return for each of the home countries provides further proof of the Lions’ unique commercial clout. The New Zealanders made not far short of £20m from the tour.

The NZRFU have reported a total income from last year’s tour of more than £125m, prompting chief executive Steve Tew to acclaim it as ‘an incredibly successful event’.
Very big numbers for rugby.
Not a Lions fan at all but that is a lot of money indeed.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Grumpy Old Man
Shane Jennings

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

blockhead wrote:From the rugbypaper
Peter Jackson writes in The Rugby Paper that he understands that the British and Irish Lions tour in 2017 generated a record £5m surplus for equal distribution among the four home countries.

The £1.25m return for each of the home countries provides further proof of the Lions’ unique commercial clout. The New Zealanders made not far short of £20m from the tour.

The NZRFU have reported a total income from last year’s tour of more than £125m, prompting chief executive Steve Tew to acclaim it as ‘an incredibly successful event’.
Very big numbers for rugby.
Not a Lions fan at all but that is a lot of money indeed.
Isn't the Lions Agreement with SANZAR up for renegotiation post the 2017 tour? Those figures will give food for thought.
A proud Winsome Fluter
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yep, this was the last tour under the '97 agreement
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

I'd say the income for the IRFU should hopefully jump significantly for the next round of tours, wonder if they'll include Argentina, think they'll stick with the three test match approach possibly reduce to six warm up games, would be interested to see if they try another "home test" like the one in Cardiff in 2005 maybe this time against a tier 2 to start the warm ups, great money spinner potentially.