2016 Summer Tour to South Africa.

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: 2016 Summer Tour to South Africa.

Post by neiliog93 »

Our pack last week as 8kg heavier than theirs and this week it's 15kg heavier. Bring it on.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bamboozle
Bookworm

Post by bamboozle »

Must say I like the look of the team and JS's thinking behind the selection
In many ways, though he wouldnt admit it, last weeks win gives JS some breathing space for the year ahead with regards IRB ranking, that may have had some impact on his team selection for tomorrow.

We have to plan for life after Ross, tomorrow is a good starting point
Roux's 125kg packing down behind Furlong should add some stability to the strum.
Dillane, Murphy, Marshall, Cronin and Stander will all be fully fresh for the 3rd test
Gilroy deserves a chance to show what he can do, Earls has really stepped up his defense to now have a really rounded game

I'm hoping someone from the mgt team will be having a quiet word with the Ref and his assistants with regards flying head first rucking, and Vermullen's elbow first ball carrying.
SA average 33 points per game in tomorrow's stadium, with the opposition averaging 22 points which is a decent reflection on how lose the game will be at altitude, so i'd probably expect to see Strauss and Reidy enter the fray early in the 2nd half as the game opens up.

Though I expect a seriously physical bok team tomorrow i'm somewhat confident as they have kept faith with Mvovo on the wing and would expect to see his wing targeted.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

If Best is worth his salt he'll make sure ref is looking out for the nasty stuff from the boks

@rtb using Marshall (Olding this weekend) as first receiver will protect Jackson to some extent
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

simonokeeffe wrote:If Best is worth his salt he'll make sure ref is looking out for the nasty stuff from the boks
I thought he was much improved speaking to the ref last week than during the 6N. Much more vocal and held the refs attention well without trying to impose himself.
waterboy
Graduate

Post by waterboy »

bamboozle wrote:Must say I like the look of the team and JS's thinking behind the selection
In many ways, though he wouldnt admit it, last weeks win gives JS some breathing space for the year ahead with regards IRB ranking, that may have had some impact on his team selection for tomorrow.

We have to plan for life after Ross, tomorrow is a good starting point
Roux's 125kg packing down behind Furlong should add some stability to the strum.
Dillane, Murphy, Marshall, Cronin and Stander will all be fully fresh for the 3rd test
Gilroy deserves a chance to show what he can do, Earls has really stepped up his defense to now have a really rounded game

I'm hoping someone from the mgt team will be having a quiet word with the Ref and his assistants with regards flying head first rucking, and Vermullen's elbow first ball carrying.
SA average 33 points per game in tomorrow's stadium, with the opposition averaging 22 points which is a decent reflection on how lose the game will be at altitude, so i'd probably expect to see Strauss and Reidy enter the fray early in the 2nd half as the game opens up.

Though I expect a seriously physical bok team tomorrow i'm somewhat confident as they have kept faith with Mvovo on the wing and would expect to see his wing targeted.
I didn't realise Roux was that big. Thats about Dev's weight and about 6 inches shorter.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

jimbobjoe wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:If Best is worth his salt he'll make sure ref is looking out for the nasty stuff from the boks
I thought he was much improved speaking to the ref last week than during the 6N. Much more vocal and held the refs attention well without trying to impose himself.
Very much so. It didn't get him very far but that wasn't his fault, thought he was as reasonable as possible given how stubborn the ref was being.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Any team with Elton Jantjes at the key position can be beaten. And while De Allende is a good player, he's not really a guy who can stand in at first receiver if the wheels fall off Elton's 4x4.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
jimbobjoe wrote:
Very much so. It didn't get him very far but that wasn't his fault, thought he was as reasonable as possible given how stubborn the ref was being.
That is true

This time he needs to bring it up well before the match. But hey maybe the ref is smart and as there were sigificant cards in last match he gives argy bargy short shrift on both sides but that obviously suits us more
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

jezzer wrote:Any team with Elton Jantjes at the key position can be beaten. And while De Allende is a good player, he's not really a guy who can stand in at first receiver if the wheels fall off Elton's 4x4.
He was poor last weekend but he's usually pretty good IMO.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
jezzer wrote:Any team with Elton Jantjes at the key position can be beaten. And while De Allende is a good player, he's not really a guy who can stand in at first receiver if the wheels fall off Elton's 4x4.
dare we say he's Madigan esque?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
dare we say he's Madigan esque?
One for Raydollard perhaps?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I think Ray is on holidays in the South of France

Predictions people?

I'm going Ireland 31-27 or something like that
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

neiliog93 wrote:Our pack last week as 8kg heavier than theirs and this week it's 15kg heavier. Bring it on.
And that's without Ross's Arse!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Joe has gone for brute force.
The usual reason for picking a pack like that is to guarantee possession and control the pace of the game.
The usual tactics against a team like that is to spread it wide and try to run them around the pitch.
At altitude the team that controls possession should win the game.
Joe has gone for the right approach.
The two caveats are -
1. Is our front five up to the job at scrum time.
2: Will such a big pack feel the altitude pinch too early for Joe's plan to work.
Prediction - The Boks will come out all guns blazing.
Our pack of Leprachauns will out muscle them.
We will win with a bit to spare.
Either way Joe, is taking the right gamble given our lack of familiarity with playing at altitude.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

simonokeeffe wrote:I think Ray is on holidays in the South of France

Predictions people?

I'm going Ireland 31-27 or something like that
31 to 17
What are the bookies saying? Has Joe won them over?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Points tally is too high. They havn't got the attack to score a hatful of tries and unless Gardner gives penalties all day, neither side will score 2t points. Ireland 21-16.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I really like Gardner. He is young but if the boks come out looking to box then I reckon he is a good man to have in charge. You'd have to expect fireworks from them and I can't see Ireland taking a backward step and allowing themselves to be bullied either. Ellis park, hard track, the 3 test format: this feels like a test match from years gone by.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I think we have the pack to beat them up in the collisions, at the breakdown and in the maul, and we can at least match their (admittedly impressive) line-out with three locks in the starting team. The one issue in the forwards might be the scrum with Furlong against the Beast.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Points tally is too high. They havn't got the attack to score a hatful of tries and unless Gardner gives penalties all day, neither side will score 2t points. Ireland 21-16.

I reckon theyll be desperate to win/score tries, hard track at altitude itll open up late on at worst plus I dont trust Olsing's defence at this level

Speaking of I think Jantjes is either covering 12 for them or theyve no 12 cover at all, Pitersen Im presuming covering 13. Mapoe is wing/13 (and small), their 23 is a wing too afaik
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:I think we have the pack to beat them up in the collisions, at the breakdown and in the maul, and we can at least match their (admittedly impressive) line-out with three locks in the starting team. The one issue in the forwards might be the scrum with Furlong against the Beast.
Furlong will survive hopefully but when sub time comes along things could get a bit dodgy.