Ireland Team for ABs

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Re: Ireland Team for ABs

Post by Peg Leg »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:We're gonna attack their scrum. Of every aspect of the game, it is the one area we are significantly better than the ABs

We have the front row and the front row depth to do it. Milk a few scrum penalties, get a few 3 pointers. Maybe a kick or 2 to the corner. Keep morale up

I think Tracy will be involved and possibly Herring in the extended squad for scrum strength.

Sadly I don't see room for Cronin. Which pains me to say.
All the fatties on the pitch for the scrum dominance will play into the hands of the NZ MO I.e. seeking out the mismatch and the soft shoulder.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Gearzbox2
Knowledgeable

Post by Gearzbox2 »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:We're gonna attack their scrum. Of every aspect of the game, it is the one area we are significantly better than the ABs

We have the front row and the front row depth to do it. Milk a few scrum penalties, get a few 3 pointers. Maybe a kick or 2 to the corner. Keep morale up

I think Tracy will be involved and possibly Herring in the extended squad for scrum strength.

Think you dreaming with that prediction about Tracy and Herring
Cronin is and has been one of Ireland's best impact players off the bench in recent years along with Ultan Dilanne
Cronins scrummaging lately has been top class against strong French teams and a Munster scrum going very well
I will admit Tracy's scrummin has been good too
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

It went under the radar a bit but thought Tracy did well on Sunday, bodes well if he can perform like that in a big game in France.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

New Zealand are 21 point favourites with the bookies. Ireland 10/1 to win outright.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Gearzbox2 wrote:

Think you dreaming with that prediction about Tracy and Herring
Cronin is and has been one of Ireland's best impact players off the bench in recent years along with Ultan Dilanne
Cronins scrummaging lately has been top class against strong French teams and a Munster scrum going very well
I will admit Tracy's scrummin has been good too

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/38355.php#.WBDTnC0rKUl

Looks like I was half right ;)
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

No Mike Ross? :?
Anyone But New Zealand
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

No Mike Ross is risky, but at some point S Club Juniors have to step up
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Dave Cahill wrote:No Mike Ross is risky, but at some point S Club Juniors have to step up
But there ain't no party like an S Club Party.

Seriously though, having Furlong to start is all well and good but the other options for tighthead aren't there yet.
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

we have to start planning for 2019 at some point (also big F Us to the wild geese) which explains Ross, Bowe
congrats to Holland for really forcing his way in there

Best, Cronin, Tracy
McGrath, Healy
Furlong, Ryan, Bealham
Toner, Henderson*, Dillane, Ryan, Holland
POM, Murphy
JVDF, SOB
Heaslip, Stander

Murray, Marmion, McGrath
Sexton, Jackson, Carberry
Henshaw, Ringrose, Marshall
Earls**, Trimble, Zebo, Gilroy
Payne, RK

*injured ** suspended for 1st match

Notable ommisions:
Injured/unproven fitness- Strauss, Roux?, Ruddock, Olding, DK, Healy
Faces not fitting- Herring, Killer, Moore, Ross, Reidy, TOD, Madigan, Bowe, Adeolokun, TOH
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Very surprised that TOD was over looked, he has always performed for Ireland, and has been in good form of late, is this a punishment for getting married during the SA tour?

Tracy making the squad is a very strange choice, he is nowhere near that level yet, barely at pro 12 level.

Some other strange calls, but not as surprising as the two above.

Looking at the squad, I'm not sure we will see Ireland finally beat the all blacks, but can't wait to watch the matches.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

Rob over Tiernan?
lol
Slowcentre
Beginner

Post by Slowcentre »

munster#1 wrote:Very surprised that TOD was over looked, he has always performed for Ireland, and has been in good form of late, is this a punishment for getting married during the SA tour?

Tracy making the squad is a very strange choice, he is nowhere near that level yet, barely at pro 12 level.

Looking at the squad, I'm not sure we will see Ireland finally beat the all blacks, but can't wait to watch the matches.
ToD not getting picked is punishment for not being as good as the players ahead of him,that's not a slight he's a very good player but he's in a position where we have a huge amount of talent and he's also limited by not really playing any other position than 7.

Your comment about Tracy is ridiculous,I'm surprised he's been called up this early too but it was only a matter of time.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wprathead wrote:Rob over Tiernan?
lol
TOH not struggling with injury?
If he is fit yeah its not a form call
wprathead
Bookworm

Post by wprathead »

simonokeeffe wrote:
lol
Tiernan is fit
He'll be rearing on Saturday :)
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

wprathead wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
lol
Tiernan is fit
He'll be rearing on Saturday :)
Lamestream media lying to us again
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sigh..

Looks like tiernan going and getting himself taken out of it in SA and almost being crippling in the process has dropped him down the pecking order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

munster#1 wrote:Very surprised that TOD was over looked, he has always performed for Ireland, and has been in good form of late, is this a punishment for getting married during the SA tour?

Tracy isn't that surprising. A converted prop, he's big and physical and at 26 has grown into his role more and more lately. Has performed very well off the bench for Leinster, including agains the enormous Montpellier pack. Good scrummager, never messes up a line-out, and a big guy for an Irish hooker in the loose. Herring is a 'no mistakes' type of player and that has value, but he's not the best athlete. I would say Scannell was ahead of Herring, and will admit it would be a tight call between Tracy and Scannell for me. Scannell is the first Munster hooker to look like a worthy successor to Flannery in a while, loved him at u-20 level and looks much better than guys who were a bit overhypes like Varley, Casey and Sherry (the latter being so injury prone too).
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:we have to start planning for 2019 at some point (also big F Us to the wild geese) which explains Ross, Bowe
congrats to Holland for really forcing his way in there

Best, Cronin, Tracy
McGrath, Healy
Furlong, Ryan, Bealham
Toner, Henderson*, Dillane, Ryan, Holland
POM, Murphy
JVDF, SOB
Heaslip, Stander

Murray, Marmion, McGrath
Sexton, Jackson, Carberry
Henshaw, Ringrose, Marshall
Earls**, Trimble, Zebo, Gilroy
Payne, RK

*injured ** suspended for 1st match

Notable ommisions:
Injured/unproven fitness- Strauss, Roux?, Ruddock, Olding, DK, Healy
Faces not fitting- Herring, Killer, Moore, Ross, Reidy, TOD, Madigan, Bowe, Adeolokun, TOH
Bit harsh on categorisations of why some were left out. I'm hoping that TO'H, Bowe, fit into first category. I would put Rossy into a separate category and phrase it kindly, possibly "has done his bit". Totally accept that Madigan, Moore and possibly Killer fit the bill for second category, and hope that "unproven fitness / form" covers TO'D, Reidy & Herring. Would hope that Roux and Olding also fall within this revised definition. However, am surprised by omission of TO'H and Adeolokun, both of whom warrant selection for 6 months of delivery where it counts, in positions where we need depth.

Wouldn't have either of them in match-day Squad for Chicago but would start both against Canada in preparation for 6 N
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Based on recent performances omission of O'Donnell & Ross major talking points. O'Donnell would have provided options/backup to Van Der Flier, and at tight head while Furlong & Ryan have been doing well Ross would have done well in one of the games at least if selected.

With Earls out no depth at wing and Julien Savea should get a load of trys in the 2 games (at least 3), far too fast and strong for anything we have and very soon will be all time New Zealand top try scorer at 26 years old.

Hope Rob Kearney not near the team as his best days are well past & now relies on good kicking/catching to compensate for poor defence & lack of pace. O'Halloran should have been in the squad ahead of him.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

matt wrote:Based on recent performances omission of O'Donnell & Ross major talking points. O'Donnell would have provided options/backup to Van Der Flier, and at tight head while Furlong & Ryan have been doing well Ross would have done well in one of the games at least if selected.

With Earls out no depth at wing and Julien Savea should get a load of trys in the 2 games (at least 3), far too fast and strong for anything we have and very soon will be all time New Zealand top try scorer at 26 years old.

Hope Rob Kearney not near the team as his best days are well past & now relies on good kicking/catching to compensate for poor defence & lack of pace. O'Halloran should have been in the squad ahead of him.
Beg to differ. I'd much rather have Trimble or even Zebo defending against Savea than Earls. Earls tackles with tenacity but he unfortunately for him he is small and has been used as a speedbump by the likes of Hosea Gear before.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!