Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by paddyor »

Given he was the only player on the bench to cover wing in the AIs I think it's safe to assume that Schmidt sees him as capable of doing that job. He's played 12 and 13 so far (having never played 12 for Leinster).
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I don't think we are light on wing cover if Ringrose is at 13 and Bowe on the bench. We have two wingers, (one who can cover FB and one who can cover centre), two centres (both can play IC and OC, albeit Ringrose to 12 at a pinch, but a pinch we've already taken) one covering FB and one covering wing - and remember there was talk including from Schmidt of him playing wing for Ireland though I don't like him as a winger, a full back who doesn't cover anywhere and a bench 13/15.

And Marmion.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:I don't think we are light on wing cover if Ringrose is at 13 and Bowe on the bench. We have two wingers, (one who can cover FB and one who can cover centre), two centres (both can play IC and OC, albeit Ringrose to 12 at a pinch, but a pinch we've already taken) one covering FB and one covering wing - and remember there was talk including from Schmidt of him playing wing for Ireland though I don't like him as a winger, a full back who doesn't cover anywhere and a bench 13/15.

And Marmion.
Peter O'Mahony once played on the wing in an AIL final
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

simonokeeffe wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:I don't think we are light on wing cover if Ringrose is at 13 and Bowe on the bench. We have two wingers, (one who can cover FB and one who can cover centre), two centres (both can play IC and OC, albeit Ringrose to 12 at a pinch, but a pinch we've already taken) one covering FB and one covering wing - and remember there was talk including from Schmidt of him playing wing for Ireland though I don't like him as a winger, a full back who doesn't cover anywhere and a bench 13/15.

And Marmion.

Did he now? I hadn't heard that before.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

And Marmion.
If you have a winger on the bench then fine, but suggestion is that you have Payne on the bench which means that you have Payne and Zebo able to cover full back, Payne and Earls able to cover centres and Ringrose able to cover the two wing positions

He obviously feels that he can cover wing but he has probably less than 10 pro games there, and none for a year - and he could be up against Liam Williams or George North - big ask for him - I think we could have a better set up than that
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

fourthirtythree wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

And Marmion.

Did he now? I hadn't heard that before.
It was a tremenjus performance by all accounts.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Apparently his face gets even angrier on the wing and he contributes 3 leaderships to the team instead of the normal 2.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Payne will be on bench. Wont start as he sat out training today but no doubt he will be 23
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Why did I write Bowe when I clearly meant Payne?
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Easterby saying Ringrose is going to start. So most likely Payne as no.23.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Joe is not above calling in a high profile (or historic) name to a Squad to sow a bit of confusion elsewhere (e.g. Bowe, who is rightly remembered in Wales for damage inflicted and some of his best days for Ospreys). Tommy would fully understand the context and import and it won't limit any involvement with Ulster in a down week.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

simonokeeffe wrote:

And Marmion.

Gets funnier every time
Ever think of taking up comedy.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

All Blacks nil wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:

And Marmion.
Gets funnier every time
Ever think of taking up comedy.
:roll:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Wow I will eat humble pie. Conway expected to be named 23 if Payne out.
Still doubt it though and think Gilroy will be 23 if Payne out
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

MunsterSugar wrote:Wow I will eat humble pie. Conway expected to be named 23 if Payne out.
Source/link? Why would you eat humble pie?

I wouldn't expect to see anyone who played Saturday to feature on Friday. E.g Tracy and POM weren't released to Leinster or Munster
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

paddyor wrote:
MunsterSugar wrote:Wow I will eat humble pie. Conway expected to be named 23 if Payne out.
Source/link? Why would you eat humble pie?

I wouldn't expect to see anyone who played Saturday to feature on Friday. E.g Tracy and POM weren't released to Leinster or Munster
Murray Kinsella mentioned it. Humble pie as I said Conway had no hope. I don't think Tracy will be in 23.
Although rereading it said Carbery and TOH sat out training. Didn't mention injury so presumably it was rest
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Neither do i but hell travel as no. 24. Fair enough re Conway, cant see it myself.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

paddyor wrote:Neither do i but hell travel as no. 24. Fair enough re Conway, cant see it myself.
Possibly as very little left. I doubt Carbery and Jackson will both bench and Bowe was late call up so can't see him. Think if Payne out it Conway or Gilroy. And I'd say Gilroy ahead
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Per 42.ie

Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
O'Brien
Stander
Toner
Ryan
Furlong
Best
McGrath

Scannell
Healy
Ryan
Henderson
O'Mahony
Marmion
Jackson
Conway/Payne
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Works for me. I'd like Payne on the bench but I'd also like Conway to get the reward his form has shown. Apart from anything his defensive aggression and speed this year has been outstanding.

I felt when he left here that he had considerably less in front of him to get in the team than he did in Munster so I found it a frustrating decision but he's really stuck at his job and become one of the better performers in a well functioning Munster team.

That may seem harsh on Gilroy after his hat trick but unfortunately I would be happier with Conway.