Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Re: Wales v Ireland Fri 10th March 8 05pm

Post by MunsterSugar »

fourthirtythree wrote:Works for me. I'd like Payne on the bench but I'd also like Conway to get the reward his form has shown. Apart from anything his defensive aggression and speed this year has been outstanding.

I felt when he left here that he had considerably less in front of him to get in the team than he did in Munster so I found it a frustrating decision but he's really stuck at his job and become one of the better performers in a well functioning Munster team.

That may seem harsh on Gilroy after his hat trick but unfortunately I would be happier with Conway.
Would make you question what Schmidt saw so bad in Gilroy vs Italy. Was it his defense he mentioned?
Agree Conways form deserves itband he is the type of winger suited to Schmidt's style. Of it is Conway I suppose that means he covers back3, Earls covers 13, Sexton or Ringrose 12.
*** Edited by mod - WUM ***
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I think Schmidt saw three tries in Italy for Gilroy but that he would not have picked him against a different team in the first place. Don't mean to be harsh but Gilroy did a real job. But that doesn't mean he's wanted for other jobs.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

fourthirtythree wrote:I think Schmidt saw three tries in Italy for Gilroy but that he would not have picked him against a different team in the first place. Don't mean to be harsh but Gilroy did a real job. But that doesn't mean he's wanted for other jobs.
The papers are saying Bowe will be 23
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

It is great to see conversation like these, where we have so many options, and very good options at that.

This is before we even include the likes of McFadden, Daverage, Sweetnam,

and TOH, who imo would all do a fairly good job.

The back 3 is in such good shape at all 4 provinces at the moment.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

munster#1 wrote:It is great to see conversation like these, where we have so many options, and very good options at that.

This is before we even include the likes of McFadden, Daverage, Sweetnam,

and TOH, who imo would all do a fairly good job.

The back 3 is in such good shape at all 4 provinces at the moment.
]

Good job, lets all start the tit for tat again :roll:
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Wow seems media bit confused as Gilroy now mentioned as 23.
The tigh narrow defensive system should work more comfortable against this Wales team. They're a team that isn't as expansive.
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

I hope he goes with Gilroy. Bowe is 33 and was muck against Scotland, and poor in the lead-up to the 2015 RWC.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Hard to believe it's 8 years since Bowe scored that try in the Grand Slam game.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams, Liam Williams; Dan Biggar, Rhys Webb; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Tomas Francis; Jake Ball, Alun Wyn Jones; Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty.

Subs: Scott Baldwin, Nicky Smith, Samson Lee, Luke Charteris, Taulupe Faletau, Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Jamie Roberts.

Unchanged!
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Faletau still on bench is suprise considering Welsh hype him so much
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

In fairness Faletau has been deserving of any hype - he is excellent

Moriarty has been one of the better players for Wales though so probably just a show of faith. More surprised that Ball is retained, Roberts still on the bench

We really should be beating that team
MunsterSugar
Knowledgeable

Post by MunsterSugar »

Golf Man wrote:In fairness Faletau has been deserving of any hype - he is excellent

Moriarty has been one of the better players for Wales though so probably just a show of faith. More surprised that Ball is retained, Roberts still on the bench

We really should be beating that team
The way welsh go on though Heaslip is a poor player compared. For me he's good on his day but lazy compared to a Heaslip who never gets injured and keeps standards consisyent and high
Eug
Learner

Post by Eug »

Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
O'Brien
Stander
Toner
Ryan
Furlong
Best
McGrath

Scannell
Healy
Ryan
Henderson
O'Mahony
Marmion
Jackson
Bowe
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

neiliog93 wrote:I hope he goes with Gilroy. Bowe is 33 and was muck against Scotland, and poor in the lead-up to the 2015 RWC.
Bowe had a real shocker in his brief appearance v Scotland. Very surprised that Joe is picking him over Conway or Gilroy
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

MunsterSugar wrote:Faletau still on bench is suprise considering Welsh hype him so much
Faletau is an outstanding player. His form has suffered a little bit this year because he has had a series of knee injuries [source: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... story.html] but he has been a brilliant player for pretty much his whole career to date. Does everything.
Eug
Learner

Post by Eug »

Eug wrote:Kearney
Earls
Ringrose
Henshaw
Zebo
Sexton
Murray
Heaslip
O'Brien
Stander
Toner
Ryan
Furlong
Best
McGrath

Scannell
Healy
Ryan
Henderson
O'Mahony
Marmion
Jackson
Bowe

Team as announced
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

100th cap for Jamie (95 for Ireland, 5 for Lions) - some record.
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Obviously disagree on the selections at 15 and 23. Bowe, legend that he is, hasn't been in the top 10 wingers in Ireland this year. Would he make any of the provinces 23's - hope we don't need to chase the game

Slightly worried about our backrow v Warburton and Tipuric

Big test for Ringrose - will definitely be targeted, but confident he'll get through

We shoudl be winning this looking at the teams
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We can have them in the front row if our guys play at their best. Scrums could be a lucrative source of penalties. We have struggled at times against Wales when we've picked a lot of big carriers in our back row and they've gone for choppers and groundhogs, if that starts happening and we're not going forward we'll have to start kicking.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

neiliog93 wrote:We can have them in the front row if our guys play at their best. Scrums could be a lucrative source of penalties. We have struggled at times against Wales when we've picked a lot of big carriers in our back row and they've gone for choppers and groundhogs, if that starts happening and we're not going forward we'll have to start kicking.
Hopefully Joe has a strategy to deal with the BR they have selected.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.