RWC 2019 Draw

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fireworks
Mullet

Re: RWC 2019 Draw

Post by Fireworks »

That is the best draw we could possibly have got. Neither Scotland or Japan will be easy but we would currently be favorites. As others have said it is now all about the schedule of the games. Any thoughts beyond that are into the realms of idle speculation which is what I think we are here for. Let the dreaming begin.
RavenhillRaider
Knowledgeable

Post by RavenhillRaider »

Does anyone know when the fixtures will be released? I seem to think it was towards the end of the year post draw last time rather than the year after.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
BOD is GOD!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

South Africa would be likely q/f opponents and look very beatable too. But it would be typical Ireland to blow this.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

neiliog93 wrote:South Africa would be likely q/f opponents and look very beatable too. But it would be typical Ireland to blow this.
Could we hold that thought until the morning of the game against SA, or whoever it may be.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Fireworks wrote:
neiliog93 wrote:South Africa would be likely q/f opponents and look very beatable too. But it would be typical Ireland to blow this.
Could we hold that thought until the morning of the game against SA, or whoever it may be.
No
That cart is well and truly before he hearse I mean horse
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Fireworks wrote:
No
Even now JS is probably thinking about RWC2019 and how the NZ result yesterday looks in that context.

Without doubt he has already studied what Scotland and SA did in the past month and he'll have recognised that both are still on an upward curve. SA in particular have improved dramatically in 12 months and we will certainly face a hyped-up Springbok Squad in November.

Townsend will be pleased with the Scots performance against Australia but we will get a better idea in 6N in new year, whether that was a function of Scottish skills or Australian implosion.

However, JS will have watched the NZ backplay very carefully, but particularly defensively. They are still the only team he "fears" internationally and yesterday's result suggests more vulnerability than before.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Fireworks wrote: Could we hold that thought until the morning of the game against SA, or whoever it may be.
No
Even now JS is probably thinking about RWC2019 and how the NZ result yesterday looks in that context.

Without doubt he has already studied what Scotland and SA did in the past month and he'll have recognised that both are still on an upward curve. SA in particular have improved dramatically in 12 months and we will certainly face a hyped-up Springbok Squad in November.

Townsend will be pleased with the Scots performance against Australia but we will get a better idea in 6N in new year, whether that was a function of Scottish skills or Australian implosion.

However, JS will have watched the NZ backplay very carefully, but particularly defensively. They are still the only team he "fears" internationally and yesterday's result suggests more vulnerability than before.

SA's upward curve is worryingly steep. Maybe France have regressed but SA look like they have a fearsome unity of purpose and they certainly were not go backwards under Erasmus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cathalsmart
Bookworm

Post by Cathalsmart »

On South Africa, improved yes, dramatically no. They were so cr@p last year that any sort of improvement would look dramatic, let's see how they get on I need the Rugby Championship before we jump to any conclusions.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Cathalsmart wrote:On South Africa, improved yes, dramatically no. They were so cr@p last year that any sort of improvement would look dramatic, let's see how they get on I need the Rugby Championship before we jump to any conclusions.
This is the most interesting RC for ages now
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Anyone But New Zealand
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Potentially a good draw for us, assuming we can hit the ground running.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Plenty of traveling though. Japan is a massive country, I thought they would try to group the teams as much as possible in one area, or even island.

It is over 1,000kms from Yokohama to Fukouka. Even with the JR pass, travel isn't cheap in Japan.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Are the two other teams still likely to be Romania & Tonga?
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Tonga already qualified
exwinger
Beginner

Post by exwinger »

I think that Samoa are one of the teams in the league play off. Who will not be that easy. Could injure a few players before the quarters.
Raydollard
Graduate

Post by Raydollard »

I really wonder if Joe is on the brink of leaving us for a better opportunity. Only reason for this is the very strange comments coming from him in the heel of the Zebo fiasco.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Play Off is Samoa v Europe 2 (Spain, Russia are possible sides)
El Diablo
Mullet

Post by El Diablo »

suisse wrote:Plenty of traveling though. Japan is a massive country, I thought they would try to group the teams as much as possible in one area, or even island.

It is over 1,000kms from Yokohama to Fukouka. Even with the JR pass, travel isn't cheap in Japan.
That is daft. It goes to emphasis what a great fan experience Ireland 2023 would have been.
In Japan with 1,000 km journeys between venues, it will be tough on the players and add to the logistical challenges and expenses.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Good draw having the 2 hardest teams first or a better way of putting it is having the weaker teams last. That allows rest and rotation.

The downside is SA have a similar draw, should we get them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Samoa are an effing shambles these days on and off the pitch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samoa_nat ... rent_squad

locks are moslty NPC, outhalves are Aussie club rugby
even in traditional positions of strength theyve a lot of guys playing RFU championship/ProD2