Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland 6 Nations 2018

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:With no SOB available, we can't afford a passenger in the back row. POM shouldn't even make the match day squad unless he improves his stats and discipline. Stander to 6 (where he's played his better rugby for Ireland), JVDF to 7, Conan at 8, Jordi/Leavy on the bench.
Reckon Conan has done enough in the big European games? If I was dropping POM I would straight swap Murphy, linout does then suffer though
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

We will analyse precisely who France are likely to select, particularly up front. Going to Stade de France Ireland will want to quell the crowd effect - both in noise and reactions to influence referee. Getting and retaing possession is a key skill in this regard and PO'M is perhaps our best option for stealing line-out possession.

Equally, JS could select Henshaw & Farrell, rather than Aki & Henshaw as the former pair may be judged more capable of retaining possession than the former Connachtpai
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Speaking of Henshaw, been really impressed with his handling lately. I'm hoping he keeps that up for Ireland, could really add a new dimension to our attack and catch the opposition on the hop.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: Overall, there's nobody there that I believe is lucky. There are one or two omitted that I think are unlucky. But that will probably be a competitive and hard-working Camp with great anticipation towards France and hoping that they will get back to Aviva against Italy with positive momentum.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd count Herring, Carberry & Roux as lucky personally.

Herring has been poor for Ulster while Rory Best was missing over Christmas. He's lucky Munster have bounced their Hooker selections about so much, and that Scannell is counted as injured even though he'll certainly be fit in time for France.

I think Quinn Roux has gone missing in some big games, especially the one against us, where he was anonymous in comparison to Dillane. He's lucky that Schmidt has either ruled out Beirne for still being abroad or else feels his all action offloading isn't for him.

Carberry has no business being in there ahead of Ross Byrne. It's ludicrous to think he could play out half for Ireland while Byrne plays for us. It would make far more sense for the reverse to be true. Let Carberry get some gametime with us with Byrne backing up Sexton.
I don't think Byrne is currently anywhere near international outhalf standard. Even at European level he can plug a gap but is well behind Sexton. His kicking out of hand and place kicking have improved significantly recently from a fairly low base if I'm honest. In terms of his abilities going forward, Carbery is on a completely different level in my opinion. Byrne may yet become an international outhalf but he's not anything like that at the moment in my opinion.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Flash Gordon wrote: I don't think Byrne is currently anywhere near international outhalf standard. Even at European level he can plug a gap but is well behind Sexton. His kicking out of hand and place kicking have improved significantly recently from a fairly low base if I'm honest. In terms of his abilities going forward, Carbery is on a completely different level in my opinion. Byrne may yet become an international outhalf but he's not anything like that at the moment in my opinion.
I have no idea what that opinion is based on. He hasn't played out half since last season, barring the Fiji game. He was dreadful at out half in the summe. He might be good, he might not be. It's ridiculous to think he could play there in the 6 nations.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

CiaranIrl wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote: I don't think Byrne is currently anywhere near international outhalf standard. Even at European level he can plug a gap but is well behind Sexton. His kicking out of hand and place kicking have improved significantly recently from a fairly low base if I'm honest. In terms of his abilities going forward, Carbery is on a completely different level in my opinion. Byrne may yet become an international outhalf but he's not anything like that at the moment in my opinion.
I have no idea what that opinion is based on. He hasn't played out half since last season, barring the Fiji game. He was dreadful at out half in the summe. He might be good, he might not be. It's ridiculous to think he could play there in the 6 nations.
Keatley is Sexton's backup and it's likely Carberry is regarded as being more valuable to the squad than Byrne.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Oldschool wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Keatley is Sexton's backup and it's likely Carberry is regarded as being more valuable to the squad than Byrne.
Even if we assume Carberry doesn't get the 22 jersey, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that one of the two primary 10s could pick up an injury. Like everyone else, I know he's an incredible talent, but he shouldn't be there as an out half until he starts playing there and playing the specific position well.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Flash Gordon wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:
Ruckedtobits wrote: Overall, there's nobody there that I believe is lucky. There are one or two omitted that I think are unlucky. But that will probably be a competitive and hard-working Camp with great anticipation towards France and hoping that they will get back to Aviva against Italy with positive momentum.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I'd count Herring, Carberry & Roux as lucky personally.

Herring has been poor for Ulster while Rory Best was missing over Christmas. He's lucky Munster have bounced their Hooker selections about so much, and that Scannell is counted as injured even though he'll certainly be fit in time for France.

I think Quinn Roux has gone missing in some big games, especially the one against us, where he was anonymous in comparison to Dillane. He's lucky that Schmidt has either ruled out Beirne for still being abroad or else feels his all action offloading isn't for him.

Carberry has no business being in there ahead of Ross Byrne. It's ludicrous to think he could play out half for Ireland while Byrne plays for us. It would make far more sense for the reverse to be true. Let Carberry get some gametime with us with Byrne backing up Sexton.
I don't think Byrne is currently anywhere near international outhalf standard. Even at European level he can plug a gap but is well behind Sexton. His kicking out of hand and place kicking have improved significantly recently from a fairly low base if I'm honest. In terms of his abilities going forward, Carbery is on a completely different level in my opinion. Byrne may yet become an international outhalf but he's not anything like that at the moment in my opinion.
+1
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

simonokeeffe wrote:
FLIP wrote:With no SOB available, we can't afford a passenger in the back row. POM shouldn't even make the match day squad unless he improves his stats and discipline. Stander to 6 (where he's played his better rugby for Ireland), JVDF to 7, Conan at 8, Jordi/Leavy on the bench.
Reckon Conan has done enough in the big European games? If I was dropping POM I would straight swap Murphy, linout does then suffer though
Absolutely. He's been the form Irish 8 in Europe.
Anyone But New Zealand
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

FLIP wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:
Absolutely. He's been the form Irish 8 in Europe.
He has joint highest tackle success rate with Beirne which surprised me. Would like some more dominant carries myself
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I find some of the language used about Joey Carbery to be over the top and extremely unfair, not just in this thread but across the site. The summer tour came at the end of his first season as a professional. 12 months prior, I'd wager most rugby fans had either never heard of him or never seen him play. He lit up games for Leinster and Ireland in a way we're not used to seeing, especially from 10. He made mistakes. He was always going to make mistakes. He's young and still learning and developing. Any young player at that level is going to do the same. But Schmidt feels he offers so much when he's clicking and on form. The ceiling is infinitely higher than Ross Byrne. Leinster are extremely lucky to have 3 10s in Sexton, Carbery and Byrne. Byrne might make fewer mistakes because of the game he plays but Carbery is a potential superstar. He's worth backing now.

I'd hate to imagine the level of criticism Larmour will get when he hits an inevitable low point in form.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

There's no chance of POM not starting. But that could be a mistake. As everyone here has alluded to, we going to miss an enormous amount of ball carrying with O'Brien gone. Pom will offer his usual 8 metersmins in 11 carries but he's there because he might steal some line out ball, his leadership and his grappling and wrestling at the breakdown. If France work out how to stopmove Stander like Leinster have, we're in big trouble.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Stockdale went off injured today. Could open up the door for Larmour or McFadden, though I guess Earls & Conway might be the selection.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

CiaranIrl wrote:Stockdale went off injured today. Could open up the door for Larmour or McFadden, though I guess Earls & Conway might be the selection.
Just a dead leg apparently. But Conway hasn't done his chances these past few weeks.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

James Cronin in for Killer.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Morgan Parra will miss the Ireland game with a knee injury.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

This may be heresy but the more I have watched Tadgh Beirne play, the more convinced I am that he is the player to replace PO'M at No 6 for Ireland. IMO, he won't displace Toner, Henderson or Ryan in the row, but he is the most athletic carrier, as good a line-out jumper, the best, two-shouldered tackler, the most astute passer and, above all, he wins turnovers for fun. Beirne will be in our Australia Tour Party in June. Get him into Squad now and we could win the 6N as well.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Beirne would miss this weeks training with Ireland so that alone prohibits a call up. His best position at international level is an interesting one though, problem there is when would he get a xhance to play 6 for Munster unless he does a Darcy on it?

Was morbidly curious to see what role Parra would have
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Joe, Today.
“Yeah, he is in consideration like anyone else who’s currently playing in Ireland,” said Schmidt at the Six Nations launch in London. “I answered a question earlier about the balance we’ve got in our back three and we felt that Jordan was probably playing at a level that was appropriate to select him.

“I think Simon is great value to have in the squad and he’s got an irresistible charm about him, he’s always smiling and his positivity is great. But by his own standards, he didn’t have a great day in Paris [against Racing 92] a couple of weeks ago.

“There was some wayward passing, some turnovers that he’d look back at and be frustrated with himself. It’s crucial at the time of selection that we know guys are in good form
http://www.the42.ie/schmidt-larmour-zeb ... 1-Jan2018/

The Empire Strikes Back!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:Joe, Today.
“Yeah, he is in consideration like anyone else who’s currently playing in Ireland,” said Schmidt at the Six Nations launch in London. “I answered a question earlier about the balance we’ve got in our back three and we felt that Jordan was probably playing at a level that was appropriate to select him.

“I think Simon is great value to have in the squad and he’s got an irresistible charm about him, he’s always smiling and his positivity is great. But by his own standards, he didn’t have a great day in Paris [against Racing 92] a couple of weeks ago.

“There was some wayward passing, some turnovers that he’d look back at and be frustrated with himself. It’s crucial at the time of selection that we know guys are in good form
http://www.the42.ie/schmidt-larmour-zeb ... 1-Jan2018/

The Empire Strikes Back!
Ouch
Hes not going to gif his way out of that