France v Ireland 4.45pm Sat 3rd February 2018

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Re: France v Ireland 4.45pm Sat 3rd February 2018

Post by Fan with smartphone »

I wonder if Ferg covers the centre now? Probably not, but his style is more similar to Aki and Henshaw than anyone else we've got.[/quote]

Might need Xan's help here, but when was the last time Ferg kicked for us?
Seeing that been given as reason but dont buy it

I think our plan for centre cover is blind luck[/quote]

Don't think he's kicked for us since the opening game of last season at home to Treviso when he kicked a penalty and a conversion.[/quote]

As per Cormac - last time he kicked for Leinster was September 2016 and last time he kicked for Ireland was NEVER!!![/quote]

For just a second there i thought I had you Xan. He kicked for Ireland in the Churchill cup of 2009. Ireland A though, drat.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If I remember correctly, Xan's only weakness...is a bearded prop from Balbriggan.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

O'Donnell - Back Row. Injured?
O'Donnell is always injured. Glad to see McGrath on the bench his kicking from hand has impressed me a lot more than Marmions. Overall a good team and one which should win us the game.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Our season rests upon the outcome of this game. If there was ever a game to go for a more conservative selection, this is it. Carbery on the bench is a gamble because Ireland still rely far too heavily on Sexton. I really hope we vary our attack this spring because we have just become too predictable in attack. I'm not sure who is going to take that workload of Sexton. Some are suggesting Henshaw, but I don't do see it. Otherwise, the selection is fine, but even if we win this, I hope we see a few changes as the tournament goes on. That backrow is severely lacking ball carriers, especially if the rather one-dimensional CJ Stander has a game similar to ones he produces versus Leinster. The back 3 and centres could all be changed a bit as we go along.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

CiaranIrl wrote:I think Toner would have been the better call, personally. A scratch team like France will field is likely to rely on the maul for go forward ball. There's no better second row in the northern hemisphere at disrupting mauls than Toner. Ryan would also be a much more impactful sub. For me, Toner starts or shouldn't be in the 23. All the other second rows can change a game - Henderson, Ryan, Dillane - ever Roux.
I agree, but he's picked a backrow with just 1 'big' ball carrier [Stander]. We had three [Jamie, Stander, Seanie] the last time we played them. We'll need Ryan and Hendy to get on the ball 8-10 times each.

Josh is very quick off the mark and gets over the gainline a lot in the Pro14 due to his good running angles and quick feet, but as go-to go-forward man in a February Six Nations game in Paris? Can't really rely on it. O'Mahony can't get over the gainline to save his life - 64 carries for 70m for Munster this season [source: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=PO196534 ] – it's what you'd expect from a prop, not a blindside. It's noticeably lower than Devin Toner's 63 carries for 80 metres [source: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=DT150994 ], and he's supposed to be the worst carrier in the world.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Poor Diddums wrote: "Schmidt will always find away to keep a quota on non-Leinster players in the squad. Personally I don't believe a word he's says anymore and am highly suspicious of the Conway injury. Obviously after last year dubious "injuries". Maybe he is, don't know, sad state of affairs either way.

Dissapointed with the team, but not surprised. One again finding it hard to get myself up for 6 Nations again. Schmidt is seriously ruining watching Irish Rugby for me. But as long as he plays to his base (Dublin) there will be little to no criticism from the media. And he'll remain unchallenged."
Jesus wept. What a f*cking moaner.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

hugonaut wrote:O'Mahony can't get over the gainline to save his life - 64 carries for 70m for Munster this season [source: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=PO196534 ] – it's what you'd expect from a prop, not a blindside. It's noticeably lower than Devin Toner's 63 carries for 80 metres [source: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=DT150994 ], and he's supposed to be the worst carrier in the world.
It is funny when people talk about a Dublin or D4 media bias in favour of Leinster. This aspect of POM's game is never, ever, discussed on line, on the radio or in the papers. POM is the least effective ball carrying flanker I have ever seen in my life. He operates at a meter a carry all season. We need guys to get over the gainline, punch holes in the opposition defensive structure or just make themselves available for a bit of carrying. He is a complete band utter passenger in this regard, but he might steal a line out or 2 and provides awesome leadership.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

hugonaut wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:I think Toner would have been the better call, personally. A scratch team like France will field is likely to rely on the maul for go forward ball. There's no better second row in the northern hemisphere at disrupting mauls than Toner. Ryan would also be a much more impactful sub. For me, Toner starts or shouldn't be in the 23. All the other second rows can change a game - Henderson, Ryan, Dillane - ever Roux.
I agree, but he's picked a backrow with just 1 'big' ball carrier [Stander]. We had three [Jamie, Stander, Seanie] the last time we played them. We'll need Ryan and Hendy to get on the ball 8-10 times each.

Josh is very quick off the mark and gets over the gainline a lot in the Pro14 due to his good running angles and quick feet, but as go-to go-forward man in a February Six Nations game in Paris? Can't really rely on it. O'Mahony can't get over the gainline to save his life - 64 carries for 70m for Munster this season [source: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=PO196534 ] – it's what you'd expect from a prop, not a blindside. It's noticeably lower than Devin Toner's 63 carries for 80 metres [source: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=DT150994 ], and he's supposed to be the worst carrier in the world.
Great point, but hard to read it and not come to the conclusion that we should have started Conan at 8 and Stander at 6. The mad thing is that even in the lineout, Henderson, Toner, Stander, VDF, Conan would be better than Henderson, Ryan, POM, VDF, Stander.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Aki and Henshaw will be primary ball carriers into contact
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

10 months ago the french 10 was starting against Ireland u19.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Given the discussion on ball carrying it's likely that Healy will be busy in this area, Furlong too.
You'd have to think that JS is aware of the carrying issue and has a game plan that needs something else.
The way to beat France is to tire them out.
This reduces the emphasis on ball carrying.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

It hasn't been said yet, so I'll go ahead and say it: I think Keatley should have been on the bench ahead of Carberry. They'll target the hell out of Sexton with cheap shots, as per usual. It's crazy to think that Carberry could be called up in the first 20 minutes, having barely played at outhalf since last season. It's a real risk, and I don't think France away was the time to put him on the bench.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

Aki and even Stockdale off his wing offer the sort of carrying options that Ireland haven't had in a while
ChrisUppy
Graduate

Post by ChrisUppy »

CiaranIrl wrote:It hasn't been said yet, so I'll go ahead and say it: I think Keatley should have been on the bench ahead of Carberry. They'll target the hell out of Sexton with cheap shots, as per usual. It's crazy to think that Carberry could be called up in the first 20 minutes, having barely played at outhalf since last season. It's a real risk, and I don't think France away was the time to put him on the bench.
Sure Carberry is a risk. His game management is somewhat unknown and place kicking possibly unreliable. But that's also the case with Keatley...

Byrne would have been the safest option.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

ChrisUppy wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:It hasn't been said yet, so I'll go ahead and say it: I think Keatley should have been on the bench ahead of Carberry. They'll target the hell out of Sexton with cheap shots, as per usual. It's crazy to think that Carberry could be called up in the first 20 minutes, having barely played at outhalf since last season. It's a real risk, and I don't think France away was the time to put him on the bench.
Sure Carberry is a risk. His game management is somewhat unknown and place kicking possibly unreliable. But that's also the case with Keatley...

Byrne would have been the safest option.
Carberry's kicking stats are so off kilter, I'd guess that Murray would take the kicks. Keatley isn't that bad at all. I'd have selected Byrne too incidentally.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ChrisUppy wrote:Aki and even Stockdale off his wing offer the sort of carrying options that Ireland haven't had in a while
Stockdale also doesnt seem to get the credit for his pace he deserves

argument for Carberry is one eye on World Cup and he can help chase a game more especially at 15
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

There seems to be 0 evidence supporting POM starting this one. His carries and tackle count have been seriously low. Anonymous in most games I've seen him in, except for looking pissed off with referees. Especially when you consider how well Leavy and Conan have been playing.
That said, POM seems to always put in very good performances for Ireland, so here's hoping he finds that bit of form.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:

That's a very good point and might just be the reason Schmidt has gone for Ryan and Healy. Stander can't be relied upon as a one man carrying backrow.

Those stats on POM are mad. For a guy who is (or at least was) supposed to be a wide channel ball carrier.

It sort of leads you to the question, bar the lineout and intangible 'leadership', what does he actually do?
He's a fairly good rucker and grabs a few turnovers, but is that enough for a test 6?

Is it mainly the visibility of the lineout and his 'angry face' and the aura built up around him?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: Is it mainly the visibility of the lineout and his 'angry face' and the aura built up around him?
Yes.
I have Bumbleflex
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

hugonaut wrote:O'Mahony can't get over the gainline to save his life - 64 carries for 70m for Munster this season [source: https://munsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=PO196534 ] – it's what you'd expect from a prop, not a blindside. It's noticeably lower than Devin Toner's 63 carries for 80 metres [source: https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/player?PlayGuid=DT150994 ], and he's supposed to be the worst carrier in the world.

At 1.91m tall POM would have better yardage going forward if he put the ball above his head and litteraly just fell forward. :twisted: :evil:
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!