Greatest Irish rugby team ever

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Greatest Irish rugby team ever

Post by ronk »

I think given the fixture list, quality of opposition and standard of performance attained that this is now the best ever Irish team.
Sionnach
Bookworm

Re: Greatest Irish rugby team ever

Post by Sionnach »

ronk wrote:I think given the fixture list, quality of opposition and standard of performance attained that this is now the best ever Irish team.
Hard to argue against.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote:I think given the fixture list, quality of opposition and standard of performance attained that this is now the best ever Irish team.
I think defo the best tight 5 and halves.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Certainly the greatest coach, and greatest captain, as well as the greatest team given those criteria.
Anyone But New Zealand
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Don't let go down this Cul de Sac. Impossible assessment. Different times, different opponents etc. Statistically, we had the most comprehensive series of victories of our three Grand Slams. That's as far as it is possible to say.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Best Irish team since 2009.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Better front row and half backs than 09. Back three about even. Second row is debatable.

If Joe Schmidt coached us in the 2000s, we would have 3 or 4 grand slams. He's the biggest difference.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

We were very lucky with injuries in 2009

We probably had harder Scottish and English teams this time too
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Wouldn't like to demean the achievements of either this GS winning team or the 2009 one.
The point about the coach is well made but even so DK still managed to win a GS with players whose best years were behind them.
EOS should have and didn't.
You need a bit of luck along the way too.
We were unlucky to lose two 13 but very lucky that our best 13 returned from injury at precisely the right time.
EOS was unlucky, that loss to France in Croker in particular.
Anyway a GS is a GS and something for any player winning one to treasure.
Spare a thought today for Jamie Heaslip and Sean O'Brien.
JVDF and Rhyd Ruddock too.
Even Simon Zebo regardless of the reason.
Also Messrs Farrell and Lancaster whose input directly and indirectly has been significant.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

When you think about EOS and the players he had, and what they actually won (nothing); and then you see him on the box criticising Joe...yeah.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

RoboProp wrote:When you think about EOS and the players he had, and what they actually won (nothing); and then you see him on the box criticising Joe...yeah.
Yup
One that sticks in my head, is the game we lost in Cardiff in 05, gameplan seemed to be pass it straight to BOD and nobody else every time. Was obvious AF and Welsh defence just mobbed him all day

Wasnt like Hickie or Murphy werent dangerous options

To be more upbeat, we easily have 15 players who have or very well may have 100 caps

Best Cronin Healy McGrath Furlong Porter Ryan (c) Henderson Leavy Murray Sexton Henshaw Ringrose Kearney Earls
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

CiaranIrl wrote:He's the biggest difference.
Agreed there.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

RoboProp wrote:When you think about EOS and the players he had, and what they actually won (nothing); and then you see him on the box criticising Joe...yeah.
They won the triple crown three times - now I realise that the revisionist view is that this isn't worth anything, but it involved beating the then current world champions three times in four years, it was something that Ireland hadn't done for 18 years and at the time was considered a massive leap forward for Irish rugby along with us being ranked as high as third in the world

On top of this we began to beat southern hemisphere opposition, we hadn't beaten Australia since the 60s in Dublin and the 70s at all until we won in 2002 , we hadn't beaten South Africa in Dublin since the 60s until 2004.

Theres a view out there that Irish rugby started in 2009 (or 2006 depending which side of the mason dixon line you're from) and that everything from before that is of little or no value and has no relevance to today. Thats simply not true. Joe Schmidt is the best coach Ireland has ever had. This Grand Slam is the greatest achievement in the history of the Irish national team. But these things don't happen in isolation.
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dave Cahill wrote:
They won the triple crown three times - now I realise that the revisionist view is that this isn't worth anything, but it involved beating the then current world champions three times in four years, it was something that Ireland hadn't done for 18 years and at the time was considered a massive leap forward for Irish rugby along with us being ranked as high as third in the world

On top of this we began to beat southern hemisphere opposition, we hadn't beaten Australia since the 60s in Dublin and the 70s at all until we won in 2002 , we hadn't beaten South Africa in Dublin since the 60s until 2004.

Theres a view out there that Irish rugby started in 2009 (or 2006 depending which side of the mason dixon line you're from) and that everything from before that is of little or no value and has no relevance to today. Thats simply not true. Joe Schmidt is the best coach Ireland has ever had. This Grand Slam is the greatest achievement in the history of the Irish national team. But these things don't happen in isolation.
Nothing revisionist from me regardingTriple Crowns, I simply don't rate them if they don't come with the Championship in the bag.

My first 5N was in 85, which was great. I've been there for good times and bad times, and will be there when the bad times happen again. I enjoyed Eddie's first triple crown but after that, it was way too little for the talent he had. Eddie squandered the golden generation to second place. Close, but as they saying goes, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Am I being a bit harsh on EOS? Probably, but we probably could have come second with those players with Oldschool as backs coach, me as defensive coach and you as head coach :wink:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Leinster
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:Leinster
We lacked the forward steel, but then one day an Aussie appeared with powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear
Protector of peace, mystic man from afar. He championed our pack Michael Cheika!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

RoboProp wrote:
We lacked the forward steel, but then one day an Aussie appeared with powers of hawk, wolf, puma and bear
Protector of peace, mystic man from afar. He championed our pack Michael Cheika!
Let's not forget his robot steed
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Nothing revisionist from me regardingTriple Crowns, I simply don't rate them if they don't come with the Championship in the bag.

My first 5N was in 85, which was great. I've been there for good times and bad times, and will be there when the bad times happen again. I enjoyed Eddie's first triple crown but after that, it was way too little for the talent he had. Eddie squandered the golden generation to second place. Close, but as they saying goes, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Am I being a bit harsh on EOS? Probably, but we probably could have come second with those players with Oldschool as backs coach, me as defensive coach and you as head coach :wink:
Reckon you and me would do fine without a head cosch.
We could share the forwards coaching duties.
You could look after the scrum and maul defence.
I always ran a good lineout and if you're talking rucks then no better man for sharpening studs.
However I think a Triple Crown deserves to be acknowledged as an achievement in it's own right.
TCs are not won that frequently to be dismissed and certainly not by Ireland.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Peg Leg wrote:
RoboProp wrote:
Let's not forget his robot steed
Knoxy Knoxy!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

RoboProp wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:

Knoxy Knoxy!
Don't mention the name.

But don't forget the contributions of Alan Gaffney, Jono Gibbes, John Plumtree and the five honchos who made the difference in small margins over the past two seasons: Andy Farrell, Simon Easterby, Richie Murphy, Greg Feek and Martin Murphy - Analyst supreme who's work so often confirms suspicions and rules out luck.

This fortress took some building and the main Architect deserves to be high on the pedestal but he was surrounded by Master Builders.