Re: Ireland u20 2018-2019

Post by Oldschool »

Blue not red blood wrote:Theresa May
Boris Johnson
Nigel Farage
Jacob Rees Mogg
Your boys took one hell of a beating ☘️☘️
Brexit stage left. :mullet 4: :mullet 4: :mullet 4: :mullet 4:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

IanD wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
leinsterforever wrote:What's the deal with the big bench? Is it cos the games are so close together?
World Rugby have introduced a change to how replacements can be used for this year’s U-20 Championship, with the remaining squad members outside of the starting XV all allowed to be named on the bench.
I hope this does not catch on.

Leinster will have to limit season ticket numbers as we would have 41 subs on the bench. :lol:
It makes sense for tours, especially underage ones. Kids travel from all over the world. They should at least suit up on the day.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Game is on Rugbylist now.
Ben Healy looks like a fine player, Flannery is not too bad either and considering neither would be playing if Byrne was there then we are well stocked for 10s in green.
Altough now as I say it I can see Harry being "persuaded" to head south, y'know, just in case.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tingman
Graduate

Post by tingman »

Watched it on LiveTVX stream - with Russian commentary :shock:

Agree with others - headline is English discipline....IT was awful....they act like a team with limited coaching.....the tip tackle was as
bad as you will see.

Aside - this is a team that simply does not know when it's beaten. They are brilliant to watch.....in many ways like Saracens - they just keep
coming back. A team shorn of a fair few meaningful leaders can put this on England. Fantastic.

I said this after the 6N.....and will repeat it - the boy Hodnett look's the real deal.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

There are quite a few of this crop who look likely to move on to big things.

Wren, Casey, Hodnett, Baird look more than good enough for Pro14, and that's without the injured guys or Keornahan.

Our pack was brilliant yesterday.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

review of u20 game:

1. Josh Wycherley - has a huge engine, was got the better of his opponent in the scrum. 8/10
2. Dylan Tierney Martin - had a couple of huge turnovers, hit most of his lineouts and carried hard. 9/10
3. Tom Clarkson - continued his form from 6 nations, played 78 minutes and looked comfortable in scrum and active around the field too. 8/10
4. Charlie Ryan - sparked the team from a slow start with a blockdown of a kick, typically industrious, played the full game. 8/10
5. Ryan Baird - got through a mountain of work, with some big carries and hits in defence, stole at least 1 lineout. played 73 minutes. 8/10
6. Dave McCann - showed great strength for his two tries and moved to 8 when Allison went off, youngest plaeyr in squad didn't play like it. 8/10
7. John Hodnett - showed his breakdown skills early, slowed somewhat in 2nd half in that area, but continued to carry well. 8/10
8. Azur Allison - only last 24 minutes, looked athletic but rusty with one poor knock on. 6/10
9. Craig Casey - incredible pass, dodgy kicking performance. plays at an incredible pace, very un-Murrray like. 7/10
10. Jake Flannery - doesn't have much of a controlling kicking game, probably not his best game, would like to see him at 15 for next game. 7/10
11. Jonathan Wren - quiet game in attack but looked dangerous when he got the ball, good defensively. 7/10
12. Stewart Moore - started quietyl but grew into game well with smart try and good running lines. 8/10
13. Liam Turner - played the full game, starting at 13 and moving to 12. Had a few decent breaks and was solid in defence. 7/10
14. Angus Kernohan - move to 13 midway through 2nd half, was generally quiet. 6/10
15. Iwan Hughes - looked somewhat out of place at 15, will be lucky to start against Oz. 6/10
--
17. Michael Milne - came on at after 70 minutes, had a very active 10 minutes, causing a knock on, carrying strongly and doing well in the scrum.
18. Charlie Ward - came on after 78 minutes and was part of 1 big scrum.
19. John McKee - came on after 73 minutes, hit his lineouts and tackled well.
20. Ronan Watters - came on at 6 for an injured Allison after 24 minutes, had some good carries and work in defence. 7/10
21. Niall Murray - came on after 73 minutes, hard an excellent take from a kickoff when england were chasing the game.
26. Ben Healy - came on after 49 minutes, was excellent when he came on, with a huge boot and displayed strong decision making. Was a key player in the win. 8/10
27. Sean French - came on after 49 minutes, one hell of an attacking threat but defensively he leaves a lot to be desired, not sure he has the top level pace for a winger either. 7/10
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Hodnett really impressed me again - he reminds me of Anthony Foley in the way he mightn't be the biggest or the quickest (though he is neither small nor slow) but he is certainly one of the cleverest. I was really worried about going into the game without an experienced openside, but Hodnett filled the gap superbly
I have Bumbleflex
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Smart thinking by Moore for the second try this team has the brains to go with the physicality and skills.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Great win. They were helped by poor English discipline but there's also plenty of things they can do better.

Casey's kicking put Ireland under pressure. He seems to slice the ball and it results in 10, 20 or more meters less than expected. On the other hand Healy has a massive boot and his kicks result in a 10 or 20 meter bonus.

I don't think the backs did much. It might have been the wind but they didn't really click. I don't want to single anyone out but Kernohan had one good run against Wales and I don't think I've seen him do anything besides that in all the games.

I thought the pack were excellent again. Ryan is a very good captain, very composed. The lineout and scrums were excellent. The forwards coach (Conboy?) has been a great addition.

The subs made a big impact too. Watters, Healy, Milne etc showed their worth.

If they beat Australia then they can make a few changes for the Italy match. Rotation is needed if they're looking to win the tournament.

wixfjord wrote:There are quite a few of this crop who look likely to move on to big things.

Wren, Casey, Hodnett, Baird look more than good enough for Pro14, and that's without the injured guys or Keornahan.

Our pack was brilliant yesterday.

I think Tierney-Martin will be one of the first to get senior caps. We don't have many quality hookers and he looks a superb all rounder.

It looks the strongest squad at this age group.
I had a look at the 2016 squad that got to the final. Surprisingly only Ryan and Stockdale are first choices for their provinces. Porter who is capped and Deegan would make a 23. That squad was loaded with Pro14 standard or above players who are just beginning to get game time i.e. Jimmy O'Brien, Shane Daly, Will Connors, Cillian Gallagher, Hugo Keenan.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

As an Irish rugby supporter I'm very UNused to beating a side with Redpath, Sleightholme or DeGlanville in it.
I know Cammie Redpath is Bryan's son. Any idea how the other 2 are related to Jon and Phil?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

TrapperChamonix wrote:As an Irish rugby supporter I'm very UNused to beating a side with Redpath, Sleightholme or DeGlanville in it.
I know Cammie Redpath is Bryan's son. Any idea how the other 2 are related to Jon and Phil?
Both are their fathers sons.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

mildlyinterested wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:As an Irish rugby supporter I'm very UNused to beating a side with Redpath, Sleightholme or DeGlanville in it.
Manu Vunipola is a cousin of the lads?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Oldschool wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:
Manu Vunipola is a cousin of the lads?
Yep and son of former Tongan player Elisi Vunipola.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Another excellent win from this group (without being a great performance by their own high standards). Great credit due to all the Coaching and support staff for really good preparation of the Squad over the past month / six weeks.

The game against Australia will pit the form team of this age-group (beat NZ, Fiji and Italy in past month) who have scored more points and conceded less tries, against Ireland, who have been highly competitive against every opponent, since they came together as a Squad.

Warming up against stronger opponents, scrummaging training in units, repetitive mauling in attack & defence, have all proved to be invaluable to this group. As they have seen how significant each aspect they have rehearsed has been, they have become more confident in each other and in their Coaches. Captaincy & leadership has been equally important and once again show all the hallmarks of careful preparation.

Saturday against Australia is a big game, but not the sole determinant of our progress in this Tournament. Ireland have a chance but will not be favourites.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

be interesting to see the battle of 9's; Casey vs McDonald at the weekend.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

mildlyinterested wrote:be interesting to see the battle of 9's; Casey vs McDonald at the weekend.
Will be hugely influenced by what happens up front and which side is capable of better presentation of the ball they win.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The following players have attended disciplinary hearings or received a High Risk Contact Technique Warning at the World Rugby U20 Championship 2019 in Argentina.

Alfie Barbeary (England)

England reserve hooker Alfie Barbeary appeared at a hearing before an independent World Rugby Disciplinary Committee chaired by José Luis Rolandi (Argentina) along with Frank Hadden (former Scotland coach) and Valeriu Toma (former Romanian referee) in Rosario on 6 June, 2019 following the red card issued by referee Damon Murphy in England’s opening game in the World Rugby U20 Championship 2019 against Ireland on 4 June, 2019 in Santa Fe, Argentina, for lifting and dropping an opponent in breach of Law 9.18.

Barbeary accepted that he had committed an act of foul play which warranted a red card. The Disciplinary Committee considered this to be mid-range offending which carries a 10-week entry point. The Committee reduced the sanction by the maximum 50 per cent permitted based on the player’s early acceptance of the red card, apology, clean record and good conduct at the hearing, resulting in a five-week final suspension.

The player is suspended for England’s remaining four games in the World Rugby U20 Championship and his first game of the 2019-20 English season.

The judicial decision will be published here when available.

The player has 48 hours to appeal from the time he receives the written judicial decision.

HIGH RISK CONTACT TECHNIQUE WARNINGS
The following players received High Risk Contact Technique Warnings arising from match-day one under the trial in operation at the World Rugby U20 Championship 2019 with respect to upright tackles which result in contact with an opponent’s head:

Santiago Chocobares (Argentina No.12)
Lachlan Lonergan (Australia No.2)
Julien Delbois (France No.12)
Jonathan Wren (Ireland No.11)
Ronan Watters (Ireland No.20)
James Mollentze (South Africa No.10)

Coaches now have the opportunity to conduct a coaching session with the players to address their tackling technique to the satisfaction of the Citing Commissioner in order to have the first warning removed from the players’ records. Two Technique Warnings in the tournament will result in a one-match suspension.

https://www.world.rugby/u20/news/429067?lang=en
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Technique warnings sounds good.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

IRELAND UNDER-20 Team & Replacements (v Australia Under-20s, 2019 World Rugby U-20 Championship – Pool B, Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada, Santa Fe, Argentina, Saturday, June 8, kick-off 10.30 local time/2.30pm Irish time):

15. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
12. Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster)
11. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
10. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
9. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
4. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
5. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
6. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
7. Ronan Watters (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)
8. John Hodnett (UCC/Munster)

Replacements:
16. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
17. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)
20. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
23. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
24. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
25. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
26. Cormac Foley (St. Mary’s College/Leinster)

There are two enforced changes from the squad that beat England in the opening game. Sean French, who came on in the second half, sustained a facial injury that rules him out of the rest of the tournament. Iwan Hughes, who was making his tournament debut, picked up a finger injury and he too is ruled out of the tournament.

Aaron O’Sullivan(UCD/Leinster/U20) and Max O’Reilly(DUFC/Leinster/U19) have been called up to the squad in place of Sean French and Iwan Hughes but will not be in the side this weekend.