Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: Ireland u20 2020

Post by Pilotman123 »

lummix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:
OTT wrote:They really play everything, it’s exciting and brave.

Some of the most enjoyable games to watch were last seasons U20’s looks like this year could be similar.

Crowley another one for the conveyor belt, they really need to move some of those young 10’s to other provinces for the good of Irish rugby :mullet 3:
Well Leinster is already stacked with 10s, he should probably move to Connacht, although Irish Rugby could do with a fifth province we have so much talent
He's Munster is he, should get plenty of game time down there in the coming years. Him and Casey the new ROG and Stringer.
Last edited by Pilotman123 on February 2nd, 2020, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

lummix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:
OTT wrote:They really play everything, it’s exciting and brave.

Some of the most enjoyable games to watch were last seasons U20’s looks like this year could be similar.

Crowley another one for the conveyor belt, they really need to move some of those young 10’s to other provinces for the good of Irish rugby :mullet 3:
Well Leinster is already stacked with 10s, he should probably move to Connacht, although Irish Rugby could do with a fifth province we have so much talent
He's Munster is he, should get plenty of game time down there in the coming years. Him and Casey the new ROG and Stringer.
Not really , Munster already have Carbery, Hanrahan and then there’s also Ben Healy who doesn’t know how to miss a kick! Although I do think Crowley is better with the ball in hand
He could possibly turn out better than all the players mentioned above to be honest he’s a very good player, be interesting to see how he develops
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Pilotman123 wrote:He was great last night in some aspects yes...just needs time to develop his rugby IQ and skill, of course with his height he definitely has the potential to be a full time starter for Munster and potentialy Ireland but Bairdo is the better player but will be interesting to see how Ahern develops over time

Ahern has great skills. He's a good passer, offloaded and great at winning kick offs with Aussie rules style catches.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Pilotman123 wrote:
lummix wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote: Well Leinster is already stacked with 10s, he should probably move to Connacht, although Irish Rugby could do with a fifth province we have so much talent
Not really , Munster already have Carbery, Hanrahan and then there’s also Ben Healy who doesn’t know how to miss a kick! Although I do think Crowley is better with the ball in hand
He could possibly turn out better than all the players mentioned above to be honest he’s a very good player, be interesting to see how he develops

Should be interesting to see how he plays. If he doesn't make it as a 10, he has the size, footwork and speed to play a different position.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

dropkick wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:He was great last night in some aspects yes...just needs time to develop his rugby IQ and skill, of course with his height he definitely has the potential to be a full time starter for Munster and potentialy Ireland but Bairdo is the better player but will be interesting to see how Ahern develops over time

Ahern has great skills. He's a good passer, offloaded and great at winning kick offs with Aussie rules style catches.
Always room for improvement as he knocked the ball on twice in the match, but yes he does look like he has a good future ahead of him
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

There's an interview with Mark Hernan on the Indo site and apparently he dislocated his shoulder 16 times as a schoolboy :shock:
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

15. Oran McNulty (Millfield School/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Dan Kelly (Kirkham Grammar/Loughborough University/IQ Rugby)
12. Hayden Hyde (Cranleigh School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
11. Andrew Smith (St. Michael’s College/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
10. Jack Crowley (Bandon RFC/Cork Constitution FC/Munster)
9. Lewis Finlay (Down High School/Malone RFC/Ulster)
1. Marcus Hanan (Clane RFC/Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
2. Tom Stewart (Belfast Royal Academy/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Blackrock College/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
4. Thomas Ahern (Waterpark RFC/Shannon RFC/Munster)
5. Brian Deeny (Wexford Wanderers RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
6. Sean O’Brien (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
7. Mark Hernan (St. Michael’s College/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
8. David McCann (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) (capt)

Replacements:

16. John McKee (Campbell College/Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
17. Harry Noonan (Greystones RFC/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Tullow RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
19. Joe McCarthy (Blackrock College/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
20. Cian Prendergast (Newbridge College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
21. Ben Murphy (Presentation College Bray/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
22. Tim Corkery (Kilkenny RFC/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
23. Luis Faria (Newpark Comprehensive/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

mildlyinterested wrote:15. Oran McNulty (Millfield School/Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
14. Ben Moxham (Larne High School/Ballymena RFC/Ulster)
13. Dan Kelly (Kirkham Grammar/Loughborough University/IQ Rugby)
12. Hayden Hyde (Cranleigh School/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
11. Andrew Smith (St. Michael’s College/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
10. Jack Crowley (Bandon RFC/Cork Constitution FC/Munster)
9. Lewis Finlay (Down High School/Malone RFC/Ulster)
1. Marcus Hanan (Clane RFC/Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
2. Tom Stewart (Belfast Royal Academy/Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Blackrock College/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
4. Thomas Ahern (Waterpark RFC/Shannon RFC/Munster)
5. Brian Deeny (Wexford Wanderers RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
6. Sean O’Brien (Blackrock College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
7. Mark Hernan (St. Michael’s College/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
8. David McCann (RBAI/Banbridge RFC/Ulster) (capt)

Replacements:

16. John McKee (Campbell College/Old Belvedere RFC/Leinster)
17. Harry Noonan (Greystones RFC/Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Tullow RFC/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
19. Joe McCarthy (Blackrock College/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
20. Cian Prendergast (Newbridge College/UCD RFC/Leinster)
21. Ben Murphy (Presentation College Bray/Clontarf FC/Leinster)
22. Tim Corkery (Kilkenny RFC/Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
23. Luis Faria (Newpark Comprehensive/Dublin University FC/Leinster)
Every player on the bench is Leinster! :shock:
Dont Panic!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Ah I count McKee as Ulster... But I'd also have Sheehan ahead of him.

6 under19s in squad too.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I had a look at the Wales Italy match. Italy simply bullied them up front. Lineouts, scrums, breakdown was dominated by italy and they should have won by a lot more. Wales defended well.

It doesn't necessarily mean it will be an easy game for Ireland but youd have to fancy our lads to win by more than 10 points. Wales are missing a few U20s who are playing at a higher level. Rhys Zammit and Bashem to name 2. They've hyped up this team so we'll see.

The good news is I think the irish team can improve in a lot of areas from last week. Scrums, more cohesion between the 10 and centers, defence and the white line fever.

Hopefully the conditions are decent for the match.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Wales star u20 is at 15 apparently.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

dropkick wrote:I had a look at the Wales Italy match. Italy simply bullied them up front. Lineouts, scrums, breakdown was dominated by italy and they should have won by a lot more. Wales defended well.

It doesn't necessarily mean it will be an easy game for Ireland but youd have to fancy our lads to win by more than 10 points. Wales are missing a few U20s who are playing at a higher level. Rhys Zammit and Bashem to name 2. They've hyped up this team so we'll see.

The good news is I think the irish team can improve in a lot of areas from last week. Scrums, more cohesion between the 10 and centers, defence and the white line fever.

I've not see the Wales v Italy game, so have a much better view than me. But I seem to remember 2 years ago Italy bullying (or at least being ultra physical) us in Donnybrook. You confident they can't do to us tonite?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

mildlyinterested wrote:Wales star u20 is at 15 apparently.
Yeah he's a Bristol guy, lovely jinking runner. Really dangerous.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

TrapperChamonix wrote:
dropkick wrote:I had a look at the Wales Italy match. Italy simply bullied them up front. Lineouts, scrums, breakdown was dominated by italy and they should have won by a lot more. Wales defended well.

I've not see the Wales v Italy game, so have a much better view than me. But I seem to remember 2 years ago Italy bullying (or at least being ultra physical) us in Donnybrook. You confident they can't do to us tonite?

I'm confident but you can never be too confident after only watching the teams play 1 game each. I'd say the Welsh are capable of scoring tries so Ireland might need to at least match them.

It looks an awful day too, weather wise.

Here's the Welsh match but it's a bit hard to watch because of the awful frame rate.
https://youtu.be/5EtufJkTwQ8
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Haven't seen much of Smith but he looks a physical little dude. Plenty of rucking and tackling so far.

They seem to be struggling to get him into space albeit.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Beautiful try. Started by a slalom from Smith and including some lovely rangy running from SOB 4.0.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Mark Hernan is better than Scott Penny and also a better option long term. Change my mind
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I don't think I've ever been more surprised by a player than I have been by McCarthy in his two cameos. I'd never heard of him before he came on last week but he's been brilliant. Ahern very good again too.

Hernan has been much better this week. I did see him miss one tackle quite badly but aside from that he's been good, runs really good lines.

The way Smith collected that ball in the air and managed to stay in field and spin forward was incredible. From what I've seen of him he's a brilliant finisher and hasn't even got the chance to do that yet but still stands out. I'd like to see more defensively though tbh, think he makes a lot of mistakes. He clearly has the ability though so it's just a case of ironing out the creases and adding consistency.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I don't think I've ever been more surprised by a player than I have been by McCarthy in his two cameos. I'd never heard of him before he came on last week but he's been brilliant. Ahern very good again too.

Hernan has been much better this week. I did see him miss one tackle quite badly but aside from that he's been good, runs really good lines.

The way Smith collected that ball in the air and managed to stay in field and spin forward was incredible. From what I've seen of him he's a brilliant finisher and hasn't even got the chance to do that yet but still stands out. I'd like to see more defensively though tbh, think he makes a lot of mistakes. He clearly has the ability though so it's just a case of ironing out the creases and adding consistency.
He made a bad positional error and sort of fell off a tackle right before he made that really big straight on hit alright.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Time to wake up.