6 Nations 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Re: 6 Nations 2020

Post by neiliog93 »

Conditions will mean it's a very different game obviously, but that showing would make you optimistic Ireland can be competitive in Twickenham. Stop England getting a try bonus point and get a losing bonus point ourselves, and we'll be in the mix for the Championship going into the last game against France.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Peg Leg wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:It's amazing that the wind didn't seem to be a factor in our game.
Ah it did, every penalty was sent to the corner.
Fair point.

I suppose I was really referring to how it didn't make anyone look shite. And it was shite out there. But Scotland and England served up the particular kind of pie that Dave mentioned above.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Match was crying out for Russell's ability to kick nasty grubbers for the back three to deal with :(
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Some reports of one of the English backroom team getting hit by a plastic bottle thrown by a Scottish fan when England entered the stadium before the match.
Anyone But New Zealand
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

y LeRouxIsPHat » February 8th, 2020, 6:08 pm
Brilliant performance. A bit sloppy in the first half at times but a massive step up on last week/year and lots of encouraging signs.

I wanted Murray dropped after last week but he was superb, close to his best with his passing and was more of a threat than he has been in ages. Conway was flawless and made a big impact every single time he was involved, delighted for him. Robbie was really lively and gutted for him that his day was cut short but hopefully he'll be fine for Twickenham and build on this. I was shocked at how good Earls was tbh, didn't think he was in good form and have never liked him in the centre but he was really good. Larmour obviously brilliant as well, love how desperate he is to be involved.

But the pack laid the foundation, incredible work rate on both sides of the ball and gave us far more go forward this week. CJ immense again with his steals. Everyone did well really, hard to single anyone else out.

Still lots to do and we need to stop getting isolated. Henderson put in a great shift again but he needs to get lower in contact, very annoying to see him get held up so often when you know how powerful he is.
Agree with all of this except our scrum was hardly humming was it? It actually improved a lot when Kilcoyne came on. Was also impressed by the amount of turnovers that Wales made in the first 20 minutes. Wonder how much of that was to do with the new breakdown coach Warburton?
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Morf wrote:Match was crying out for Russell's ability to kick nasty grubbers for the back three to deal with :(
was thinking the same.

Anyone catch the sausages comment at the end of the game by Genge? priceless!!!!

It was only a poor error by Hogg that sealed the game for England. Scotland were, by far, the better team in the second half, playing INTO the wind and had some great chances close to the line but fumbled the line outs 5m out when they had them.

England don't look that great without billy v and their wrecking ball players fully fit. I fancy our chances in twickenham. Watching the first 60mins of FRA v ENG might give Farrell some ideas on how to go at them.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote:
Morf wrote:Match was crying out for Russell's ability to kick nasty grubbers for the back three to deal with :(
was thinking the same.

Anyone catch the sausages comment at the end of the game by Genge? priceless!!!!

It was only a poor error by Hogg that sealed the game for England. Scotland were, by far, the better team in the second half, playing INTO the wind and had some great chances close to the line but fumbled the line outs 5m out when they had them.

England don't look that great without billy v and their wrecking ball players fully fit. I fancy our chances in twickenham. Watching the first 60mins of FRA v ENG might give Farrell some ideas on how to go at them.
Possible consideration of starting Toner & Henderson in the 2nd row against England for the sheer physical addition of strength & weight. Ryan has been superb in every game but England's absolute power at scrum and maul could allow them to dominate initially and prevent Ireland getting a foothold in this vital game. If Ireland can be competitive for the first 20-30 mins, I have absolute confidence we can get another win in Twickenham.

Even if Tuilagi is back, Ireland can handle the English mid-field. Stockdale is becoming a smart enough defender to handle Jonny May out wide but it is his broken field running which is most difficult to handle. England will have to cope with the attacking ability of Larmour, Conway, Henshaw and Bundee - if we can get enough ball. The Irish team can increase the tempo in the second half and greatly diminish the effect of the English strength up front.

Without Billy Vunipola, the English backrow is essentially defensive rather than attacking and I certainly hope Jones continues to omit Dombrack. Adding Ryan, Porter, Kilcoyne and Kelleher between 45 & 55 mins will definitely provide a second wave of Irish running & carrying threat and, in the last quarter, this could carry the day.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

After 2 rounds.
Most Carries: Jordan Larmour 30 (2nd)
Metres Made: Jordan Larmour 257 (1st)
Successful Tackles: James Ryan 31 (5th)
Lineouts Won: James Ryan 9 (3rd)
Turovers Won: CJ Stander 5 (1st), Iain Henderson 4 (2nd)
Most points: Johnny Sexton 23 (1st)
Lineouts Stolen: Iain Henderson 2 (1st)
Handling Errors: Conor Murray 4 (4th)
Dominant Tackles: James Ryan 5 (6th)
Knock-Ons: Peter O'Mahoney 3 (1st)
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

blockhead wrote:After 2 rounds.
Not to be an ass, but neither of these stats really mean anything for a fullback. The majority of carries result from fielded kicks and the meters made are all before the gain-line with no defenders beaten. Not saying he hasn't been class.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Logorrhea wrote:
blockhead wrote:After 2 rounds.
Not to be an ass, but neither of these stats really mean anything for a fullback. The majority of carries result from fielded kicks and the meters made are all before the gain-line with no defenders beaten. Not saying he hasn't been class.
True but there are 5 other fullbacks also playing so he's at least in the top 2 in that regard, also wingers and no.8's are often in backfield too to collect kicks.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Interesting little quirk of the laws here. I must admit I didnt know it

https://www.the42.ie/england-scotland-l ... 5-Feb2020/
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Twist wrote:Interesting little quirk of the laws here. I must admit I didnt know it

https://www.the42.ie/england-scotland-l ... 5-Feb2020/
I thought it odd at the time to be honest although went with Gauzere once he called it.

I have done a few law exams in the last while for coaching or affiliate ref courses though so those less common things do pop up.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Pretty weird interview with Welsh Prop who expects France to cheat at the scrum on Saturday. Wow, imagine that.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51550491

BTW, he's also wrong that Furlong was illegal in that scrum v Wales
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Pretty weird interview with Welsh Prop who expects France to cheat at the scrum on Saturday. Wow, imagine that.

He obviously has no intention of cheating himself.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ruckedtobits wrote:Pretty weird interview with Welsh Prop who expects France to cheat at the scrum on Saturday. Wow, imagine that.

And now the French reply, and I know which comment I believe is more realistic:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51580990

The Welsh are so full of shite, they all have brown eyes.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Ruckedtobits wrote:

And now the French reply, and I know which comment I believe is more realistic:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/51580990

The Welsh are so full of shite, they all have brown eyes.

ha cheers :)

Clearly we have an issue with no francis at tight head and refs are now seeing us a weaker scrummaging team and are penalising us (fairly or unfairly) these comments are clearly designed to try and plant a seed in the refs mind so we are not seen as the guilty party come scrum time.

Not sure france have that big a scrum anyhow so we should be ok sat but going forward we have to try and resolve this, lewis is handy player in the loose but his scrummaging is suspect brown even more so and on the loose head so are carre smith and currently rob evans.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This is a terrible game. I can't get over how poor the Scottish workrate is. The players often stop running after a kick or if they're not involved in the play, fellas just walking around in the background as others carry and clear out. There's no appetite to get back behind the ball and help out whoever catches it after an Italian kick either. It's like watching a school team where you've got some decent players and others who couldn't be arsed being there.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Italy are going wide too early. Their back 3 dont have the pace to go past Hogg, Maitland etc
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Twist wrote:Italy are going wide too early. Their back 3 dont have the pace to go past Hogg, Maitland etc
Minozzi had enough pace to take Larmour on the outside a couple of times the last time they met
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Hogg is on a different planet to Larmour when it comes to pace.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!