RWC2019 31-man squad

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: RWC2019 31-man squad

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If it's true about Dev and Jordi then I think it makes sense given their form, but I don't think it makes sense in the context of who's replacing them. Dev has looked seriously underpowered in his appearances so far, but I don't see what was so good about Kleyn that he would deserve a spot, and Beirne barely has any time in the second row for Ireland. So I'm not sure which of those would end up on the bench, and wouldn't feel very comfortable with either because of how bad our lineout was against England and the issues we had against Argentina last year. I'd say he'll get away with it but Dev made a really dangerous hit on Saturday and I wonder has that played into the selection at all.

IIRC Jordi played well for a lot of last season but tailed off towards the end of the season and didn't do a whole lot in his last couple of games. I get the argument people make that he covers three positions but is really only a 7, but I'd have been fine with that. Are we really going to have POM as backup 7? I don't like that idea at all.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

It looks like decisions down to Larmour v Farrell and 2 of Toner, Kleyn & Ruddock as Marmion & Herring look to have lost close battles & Conway, Addison & Kilcoyne have played their way in.

Hope Toner makes it. If he does not go we rely on Ryan & O'Mahony too much in line out even though Henderson would probably start most games ahead of Toner having Dev on the bench would be useful.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I don't don't find it credible that we go to the world cup without Toner, unless there's an injury
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:I don't don't find it credible that we go to the world cup without Toner, unless there's an injury
I have a theory...

The players have slimmed down to cope with the fast pace of games but Dev can't operate like that and needs more bulk to shift people. Some of his clearouts recently have been very poor.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

When Ruari O'Conner & Murray Kinsella are picking the exact same squad there is a fair chance it is a done deal.

Gerry Thornley has now also predicted the exact same squad.

Is it possible to keep anything secret in Ireland!

Not sure about leaving Toner out at all.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:I don't don't find it credible that we go to the world cup without Toner, unless there's an injury
I have a theory...

The players have slimmed down to cope with the fast pace of games but Dev can't operate like that and needs more bulk to shift people. Some of his clearouts recently have been very poor.
Well it's be a change from the "he needs to put on more weight" from the start of his career.

It'd be very poor management from Schmidt if your theory were correct
I have Bumbleflex
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

I would question the point in leaking a squad a week before it is to be announced. Why not just bite the bullet and announce it officially like all the other teams.

Which would make me wonder if it is misinformation.

Schmidt is gone after the world cup he does not need to pretend to like the journos anymore.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:I would question the point in leaking a squad a week before it is to be announced. Why not just bite the bullet and announce it officially like all the other teams.
I think Joe said something about still needing extra players around camp this week and that that was part of the reason for not announcing it.

I wonder what the plan for the omitted players is now? I would imagine that Dev would want to head up a mountain with no phone signal for a couple of weeks, but I'm guessing he has to keep training in case he's needed.

Jack McGrath (even out of form), Herring, Bealham, Dev, Jordi, Marmion, Ross Byrne, and Farrell are decent replacements to be able to call up if needed. If any of them get a week's notice to travel over before a game then I'd back them to perform.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

All the talk will obviously be about who didn't make it, but I'm delighted for Rhys, think he really deserves it and he could play a big role.
RobbieRockBoy
Enlightened

Post by RobbieRockBoy »

Dev was just too tall for the hotels booked

https://www.boredpanda.com/tall-people- ... gn=organic
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I'd be surprised and disappointed if Chris Farrell misses out. Think Larmour is a small but lucky to be going as I thought it was between him and Conway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

I cannot get my head around how players like Killer & O'Kleyn get into an Irish squad.

Killer savaging a Welsh scrum that was more like a Monthy Python-parrot and running like a good back-row will count for nothing in a QF against the boks/blacks with 20-25 minutes remaining. By then the referees will have seen him pinged for 90 degree angles and walking around at scrum time.

As for Kleyn, he has been literally eaten alive by his opposite numbers in any tier 1 game he has played. Whatever about the now defunct 3 year rule, being a physical lump shouldn't qualify you.

Dev's stats must be awful. I agree with LRIP as regards Dev looking sluggish and underpowered, if that is Joe's judgement so be it, but I bet Andy Farrell won't give Patsy Kleyn an encore.

PS - I was at Dublin Airport outside the departures set down area approaching midnight on Saturday. Andy Farrell walked by solo in his IRFU trackie and back-pack, 3 minutes later a small huddle broke up outside the building as Joe walked through, also on his own, thanking well-wishers. He had a gear bag in one hand and a suit carrier in the other but he broke into a serious-paced jog as he decided to catch-up with the out-of-sight Farrell. He ran remarkably well for a 53 year old at the end of a very long day and week carrying baggage.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Twist wrote:I'd be surprised and disappointed if Chris Farrell misses out. Think Larmour is a small but lucky to be going as I thought it was between him and Conway

He's unlucky but I think it makes sense. If we assume that Henshaw and Ringrose are first choice, then who do you play at 13 if Ringrose is injured for the QF? In that scenario I just can't see Joe not bringing Aki in and moving Robbie to 13.
matt
Graduate

Post by matt »

Twist wrote:I'd be surprised and disappointed if Chris Farrell misses out. Think Larmour is a small but lucky to be going as I thought it was between him and Conway

Current form has to be rewarded and Conway deserves his place. Last week I thought Farrell would make it but Aki & Addison were better against Wales and Larmour despite his occasional errors has huge potential especially on fast hard pitches.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

It bodes we for our world cup campaign that after naming his squad internally, it leaking and having to move up the official announcement in 2015, we've learned our lesson for 2019 by namin...oh
I have Bumbleflex
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Woah, some big calls there.

Have to feel for Dev. No way Kleyn deserves to be there based on anything we've seen from him at the top level.

The McGrath over Marmion call is mad too.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote:No way Kleyn deserves to be there based on anything we've seen from him at the top level.
In fairness, we've never seen him play at the top level.
I have Bumbleflex
Beltza
Learner

Post by Beltza »

wixfjord wrote:Woah, some big calls there.

Have to feel for Dev. No way Kleyn deserves to be there based on anything we've seen from him at the top level.

The McGrath over Marmion call is mad too.
And the leaked squad had Addison in it, not Farrell.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

OTT wrote:I would question the point in leaking a squad a week before it is to be announced. Why not just bite the bullet and announce it officially like all the other teams.

Which would make me wonder if it is misinformation.

Schmidt is gone after the world cup he does not need to pretend to like the journos anymore.
It's a poor idea to announce a squad a week after you've submitted it to the organising body. There's no onus on anybody in RWC to keep the squad secret, of course somebody there is going to leak it.

If Toner is omitted, it's a really poor decision. He's the linchpin of our lineout – a set piece that has proven fallible time and again when he's not there. It's like omitting Mike Ross from the 2015 panel.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Mad stuff going on today, official team release due for next Sunday brought forward? Very Un-Joe.

Surprised that Toner is dropped for Kleyn
Surprised the Luke made it, taught Marmion was a safe bet.
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian