Conor Murray (Garryowen/Munster) 73 caps
Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 23 caps
Jonathan Sexton (St Marys College/Leinster) 83 caps
Jacob Stockdale (Lurgan/Ulster) 20 caps
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Re: RWC2019 31-man squad

Post by TrapperChamonix »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:All the talk will obviously be about who didn't make it, but I'm delighted for Rhys, think he really deserves it and he could play a big role.
+1
So often he seems to be the nearly man. Doing all the donkey work and missing out on selection for finals / ireland teams

He certainly is someone you'd like in your team v the 'Boks.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Big Misserouters in order

Toner
Marmion
Murphy
Addisson
McGrath
Byrne
Last edited by johng on September 2nd, 2019, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

johng wrote:Big Misserouters in order

Toner
Marmion
Murphy
Addisson
McGrath
Byrne
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

When you see the squad laid out it's so clear how much of a loss Leavy is. Such a shame he won't be there.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

FLIP wrote:Ireland never do well without Devin Toner. It's been shown time and time again.
We're fooked so. :wink:
Think it's a strong squad tbh.
It would be nice to have a medical report on all 31 players.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

I need someone to explain the logic behind Toner missing out. I have not one clue as to why the coach who never misses an opportunity to play Dev, drops Dev in his last competition.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:
johng wrote:Big Misserouters in order

Toner
Marmion
Murphy
Addisson
McGrath
Byrne
Ha. Did you do that while I was editing.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

johng wrote:

Toner
Marmion
Murphy
Addisson
McGrath
Byrne
an injury is possible on saturday in any one of the positions that this group cover...
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
Twist wrote:I'd be surprised and disappointed if Chris Farrell misses out. Think Larmour is a small but lucky to be going as I thought it was between him and Conway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's unlucky but I think it makes sense. If we assume that Henshaw and Ringrose are first choice, then who do you play at 13 if Ringrose is injured for the QF? In that scenario I just can't see Joe not bringing Aki in and moving Robbie to 13.
Or maybe not :lol:
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote:No way Kleyn deserves to be there based on anything we've seen from him at the top level.
In fairness, we've never seen him play at the top level.
We might have seen him play at his top level though!
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Peg Leg wrote:I need someone to explain the logic behind Toner missing out. I have not one clue as to why the coach who never misses an opportunity to play Dev, drops Dev in his last competition.
I think it's a terrible decision, but this is the best explanation I can come up with.

1. You have to believe that Beirne is a 6 that can only cover second row in case of an emergency
2. You have to believe that Henderson and Ryan are the definite starters in any important game
3. You have to believe that given number 1 above, you need to decide who is the best bench option/impact player between Toner and Kleyn. He gave Toner two games from the bench to see if he can impact game from there, and it didn't work out, so he wants Kleyn to be the bench option.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote:I need someone to explain the logic behind Toner missing out. I have not one clue as to why the coach who never misses an opportunity to play Dev, drops Dev in his last competition.
Only time will tell but there are two most likely scenarios.
He didn't meet the necessary fitness criteria which could be related to his injury last season.
OR Joe no longer sees Best as first choice hooker.
Kleyn has big boots to fill mind you.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

CiaranIrl wrote:
I think it's a terrible decision, but this is the best explanation I can come up with.

1. You have to believe that Beirne is a 6 that can only cover second row in case of an emergency
2. You have to believe that Henderson and Ryan are the definite starters in any important game
3. You have to believe that given number 1 above, you need to decide who is the best bench option/impact player between Toner and Kleyn. He gave Toner two games from the bench to see if he can impact game from there, and it didn't work out, so he wants Kleyn to be the bench option.
I had been thinking of best case scenario with Henderson and JR fit but when you lay it out like that there really is an awful lot of pressure on them to be fit, play well, and last 80 minutes. Now they've both proven they can do that, but I think a lot of us would be more comfortable if we could call upon Dev if needed. If Henderson rolls an ankle the week of the QF and is touch and go to start, can anyone really see Kleyn being picked ahead of him?

The pressure on the lineout really is enormous too. I wouldn't say Henderson or JR are known for their lineout prowess, Kleyn is only new to the squad, and Beirne looks set to be more of a back row option.

I was surprised by the call initially but could see the logic, but the more I think about it the worse it looks.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Saturday was Joe's 70th game in charge and hes selected Dev at 4 in 23, at 5 in 26 and at 19 in 11. On only SIX occasions did he choose to not play him (four of the non selections were during last season's 6 Nations when Dev was injured)

The six games - for those like me who just have to know were

v Wales 08/08/15 (RWC warmup)
v Wales 29/08/15 (RWC warmup)
v Canada 19/09/15 (opening RWC game)
v Canada 12/11/16 (AI)
v Australia 09/07/18 (Summer Tour)
v USA 24/11/18 (AI)
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Disappointed for Dev and Jordi. Happy for Ruddock and McGrath.

Find Kleyns inclusion to be a little odd. He wont start, has never really turned up when needed, covers no where else and isn't a bench option like Beirne. Having said that, if they weren't going to start with Dev the same logic applies (aside from history).
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Schmidt no longer sees Toner as a viable th lock it seems to me. He's lost his starting position and not shown up as a sub in the auditions.

It's good news for Ruddock though I suppose.

To be honest I've never rated Marion that highly. He's a competent player and nuts and bolts scrum half. I thought he was ahead of McGrath and more trustworthy but I'd have Cooney ahead of the pair of them.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
CiaranIrl wrote:

I had been thinking of best case scenario with Henderson and JR fit but when you lay it out like that there really is an awful lot of pressure on them to be fit, play well, and last 80 minutes. Now they've both proven they can do that, but I think a lot of us would be more comfortable if we could call upon Dev if needed. If Henderson rolls an ankle the week of the QF and is touch and go to start, can anyone really see Kleyn being picked ahead of him?

The pressure on the lineout really is enormous too. I wouldn't say Henderson or JR are known for their lineout prowess, Kleyn is only new to the squad, and Beirne looks set to be more of a back row option.

I was surprised by the call initially but could see the logic, but the more I think about it the worse it looks.
Yeah, I totally agree. I'd personally start Toner and Ryan and have Henderson on the bench, and if I was starting Henderson and Ryan, I'd have Beirne covering second row from the bench, with Toner in the extended squad as cover for injury. There is no universe where I'd have brought Kleyn, so I'm really disappointed in this decision.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

brotheroffrank wrote:
johng wrote:

Toner
Marmion
Murphy
Addisson
McGrath
Byrne
an injury is possible on saturday in any one of the positions that this group cover...
On the winners!
Kleyn is a gamble but perhaps his inclusion along with Beirne means POM's starting spot is less assured.
McGrath is very lucky
Ruddock a bloody good call.
Farrell a bloody good call.
Kilcoyne has earned it. With Feek's coaching he might actually learn how to scrum properly.
That being the case his ball carrying could be a real bonus or his scrummaging, I'm confused.
I wouldn't really consider a loser but he'll be disappointed.

Based on recent history it's easy to see Marmion , Murphy, Addison and Byrne getting called up.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

olaf the fat wrote:Mad stuff going on today, official team release due for next Sunday brought forward? Very Un-Joe.
Given that this is the second time he's picked a world cup squad, the second time it's leaked and the second time the announcement has had to be moved forward, I'd say it's peak-joe!
I have Bumbleflex