RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: RWC 2019 Warmup Games

Post by Oldschool »

Flash Gordon wrote:
mildlyinterested wrote:Dunno why POM appears to be do undroppable.
Gatland didn't think he was. That was after a test match where he played at 6 and made one tackle! People talk about his leadership qualities but I'd rather have a leader that is an outstanding contributor on the pitch. Roaring and shouting is not being inspirational in my view, making 25 tackles or kicking 25 points or making 100m is inspirational.

There are question marks against other senior players too obviously and the captaincy is a big question if Rory didn't play.
Captaincy and leadership would only be an issue if James Ryan was N/A.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

I don't know folks - who else will take up the mantle of first choice collar puller and scrunchiest face in the northern hemisphere if not POM?
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

backrower8 wrote:The 42 is suggesting a team of 8 Munster, 3 Connacht, 2 each from Ulster & Leinster.

Jack Conan predicted to be flanked by two out of position flankers - Beirne @ 6 & POM @ 7! With Killer doing his merry-go-round impersonation at scrum time. Lucky Jack!!

Aki said to be lined up for his 3rd start! How bad is Henshaw?

Killer Scannell Ryan
Henderson JR
Beirne Conan POM (C)

Marmion Carty
Stockdale Aki Farrell Conway
Addison

A very iffy selection on paper.
Samson will get mom.
He'll take Killer (if ever a nickname was embarrassing that's it) to the cleaners and his work around the pitch will be mighty.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:A few weeks ago I thought the squad was largely set in stone but after last weekend and with the news that Franks has been dropped by NZ I had a rethink about what squad we might go for, particularly the back row.

Personally I wouldn't have Kleyn and still like the idea of Beirne traveling, but obviously it doesn't look like Joe is a fan. Given that Joe seems to like the idea of Kleyn there it's hard to see him not taking a 4th second row to do the basics (notionally at least), but the three second rows are all 80 minute men and I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility now that he just takes those three and then six back rowers. But assuming he does just take five, and on the proviso that Conan plays this weekend and looks in decent condition, then I'd go with POM, Josh, Rhys, Conan, and Jordi. So CJ would drop out entirely because we have adequate cover and I think a second choice 8 like him might be a bit redundant if Jack does end up being a starter.

I'm sure a lot of people would drop POM but he's still an important leader in the squad, and that brings me on to a new concern I just thought of. Best, POM, and Sexton are the three main leaders in the team. Best and POM should very much be in danger of being dropped, and Sexton is carrying an injury. It's entirely possible that none of our three main leaders will be in good shape when we pitch up against Scotland. We really are in desperate need of two good performances against Wales IMO because if we don't feel good about ourselves then things could really unravel very quickly at the World Cup if our leaders aren't firing and we have others who aren't fit (Healy and Earls carrying injuries too) and in form.
All the leadership group [bar RK] have been in a trough, form-wise, in 2019. To the best of my knowledge, the group is comprised of Best, O'Mahony, Stander, Murray, Sexton, RK.

O'Mahony is arguably in the best form of them in test rugby terms over 2019; he was named MOTM in the games against Italy and Scotland. I thought those calls were a bit iffy, but he certainly put in a decent stint in those games. Obviously he was very quiet against France and then had a horror against Wales, but he has played at least a couple of decent tests this year.

For me, Beirne should certainly travel. He's the prototypical 5/6 that you'd look for in a World Cup squad. It would be madness to leave him behind. He might be the best blindside in Ireland! I remember sticking up the links to his profile on the Munster website in comparison to O'Mahony's [the Munster Player of the Year, if I recall correctly], and he outperformed him in practically every metric. If you look at him as a bench option, he gives both impact and versatility. I'd have him involved in every matchday squad.

It'll be interesting to see if O'Mahony can function effectively as an openside if he's selected there against Wales. He's not quick, but he's clever and good over the ball. I wouldn't expect an openside to be necessarily a damaging carrier [although our tow most recent long-term opensides – SOB and Wally – were both among the best to ever do it for Ireland], so I think O'Mahony's lack of carrying ability is less of an issue there.
POM and effective doesn't compute.
A couple of turnovers and a couple of lineouts.
What about the other 76 minutes of the game.
Well ok, credit where is due, a few huddles for a bit of welly talk.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:The halfback situation is dire right now.

Three outhalves injured (just going off the post above) and Murray, who was in desperate need of games to recapture his form, will only have played about half an hour of rugby before we play Wales next week.

It'll be interesting to see how Stockdale does this weekend. There were loads of problems with our midfield defence so I had sympathy for him because he was left exposed, but he really didn't help himself and that's not exactly a new thing. I'd like to see him rush up but drift slightly instead of going all out for the man and ball tackle.
Surprised Joe hasn't called Cooney back into the squad given our HB difficulties.
Carty goes off and we're stuck for a reliable kicker.
BTW how close is Dave Kearney to a seat on the plane.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Just listened to the latest Molecast #36 from the Demented Mole team which covers our current 'dilemmas', particularly how low the display was in Twickenham last weekend. As always a cogent and well articulated debate about the frustrations of World Cup warm-ups and some historical perspective as to how the only thing that matters is performances in the Tournament - remember 2007, England 0 v South Africa 36 in the Pool game? Remember "Throwback Thursday" in 2011 RWC, when Tonga beat France 19-14 in the competition before Canada beat Tonga to keep France in the competition and to the Final?

Has Joe got any real options in selection of the Squad?

Is it tactical or emotional at this stage?

Can any motivation overcome age?

Which international Coaches are the best selectors?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Oldschool wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:A few weeks ago I thought the squad was largely set in stone but after last weekend and with the news that Franks has been dropped by NZ I had a rethink about what squad we might go for, particularly the back row.

Personally I wouldn't have Kleyn and still like the idea of Beirne traveling, but obviously it doesn't look like Joe is a fan. Given that Joe seems to like the idea of Kleyn there it's hard to see him not taking a 4th second row to do the basics (notionally at least), but the three second rows are all 80 minute men and I don't think it's beyond the bounds of possibility now that he just takes those three and then six back rowers. But assuming he does just take five, and on the proviso that Conan plays this weekend and looks in decent condition, then I'd go with POM, Josh, Rhys, Conan, and Jordi. So CJ would drop out entirely because we have adequate cover and I think a second choice 8 like him might be a bit redundant if Jack does end up being a starter.

I'm sure a lot of people would drop POM but he's still an important leader in the squad, and that brings me on to a new concern I just thought of. Best, POM, and Sexton are the three main leaders in the team. Best and POM should very much be in danger of being dropped, and Sexton is carrying an injury. It's entirely possible that none of our three main leaders will be in good shape when we pitch up against Scotland. We really are in desperate need of two good performances against Wales IMO because if we don't feel good about ourselves then things could really unravel very quickly at the World Cup if our leaders aren't firing and we have others who aren't fit (Healy and Earls carrying injuries too) and in form.
All the leadership group [bar RK] have been in a trough, form-wise, in 2019. To the best of my knowledge, the group is comprised of Best, O'Mahony, Stander, Murray, Sexton, RK.

O'Mahony is arguably in the best form of them in test rugby terms over 2019; he was named MOTM in the games against Italy and Scotland. I thought those calls were a bit iffy, but he certainly put in a decent stint in those games. Obviously he was very quiet against France and then had a horror against Wales, but he has played at least a couple of decent tests this year.

For me, Beirne should certainly travel. He's the prototypical 5/6 that you'd look for in a World Cup squad. It would be madness to leave him behind. He might be the best blindside in Ireland! I remember sticking up the links to his profile on the Munster website in comparison to O'Mahony's [the Munster Player of the Year, if I recall correctly], and he outperformed him in practically every metric. If you look at him as a bench option, he gives both impact and versatility. I'd have him involved in every matchday squad.

It'll be interesting to see if O'Mahony can function effectively as an openside if he's selected there against Wales. He's not quick, but he's clever and good over the ball. I wouldn't expect an openside to be necessarily a damaging carrier [although our tow most recent long-term opensides – SOB and Wally – were both among the best to ever do it for Ireland], so I think O'Mahony's lack of carrying ability is less of an issue there.
POM and effective doesn't compute.
A couple of turnovers and a couple of lineouts.
What about the other 76 minutes of the game.
Well ok, credit where is due, a few huddles for a bit of welly talk.
The guy has been, and can be, an effective player at a very high standard, vis his performance against NZ or in two of the three games of the test series against Australia. He's not an all-rounder, but neither is Dev or JVDF [or Conan for that matter, who is a jackal-free zone]. The key is getting a balanced backrow combo who can prove effective in carrying, tackling, handling, breakdown and set piece.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

All those guys have been cut in the last while, not automatic selections.

Dev takes on ball carrying when needed and has expanded his game at times.

He hits tucks, makes lots of tackles in close. With the lineout, mauling and restart work he's doing everything you ask of a lock. He usually gets partnered with someone who is a bit more dynamic.

JVDF is a standard enough 7, not the extreme ball carrier or groundhog who can destroy teams. He leads the line and pressurises outhalf. With everyone fit he's probably behind Leavy and SOB. He has good stats.

Most 8s don't win a lot of turnovers. I would consider Conan a more complete 8 and easier to balance in a backrow than Stander, even if Stander was ahead on form overall.

POM is a good player but it's tough against the best teams when we nees that tactical flexibility and we can't be light in the carrying/tackling stakes.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote:All those guys have been cut in the last while, not automatic selections.

Dev takes on ball carrying when needed and has expanded his game at times.

He hits tucks, makes lots of tackles in close. With the lineout, mauling and restart work he's doing everything you ask of a lock. He usually gets partnered with someone who is a bit more dynamic.

JVDF is a standard enough 7, not the extreme ball carrier or groundhog who can destroy teams. He leads the line and pressurises outhalf. With everyone fit he's probably behind Leavy and SOB. He has good stats.

Most 8s don't win a lot of turnovers. I would consider Conan a more complete 8 and easier to balance in a backrow than Stander, even if Stander was ahead on form overall.

POM is a good player but it's tough against the best teams when we nees that tactical flexibility and we can't be light in the carrying/tackling stakes.
Good is neither good enough or even the best available.
He just doesn't have the necessary physicality.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

A good player has consistently good stats.
Anyone But New Zealand
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Regarding POM moving to 7.

Does this mean he is under pressure to start at 6. He is clearly not playing/performing well at 6. If Berine does well at 6 today and POM is poor at 7 where does that leave Angry Face?

Could he be dropped from the starting team?
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Well this is much better.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

A better first half but Wales have been very poor.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

In work so not getting to see this.

How's Conan going?
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

They are all going well really, without anything too outstanding because Wales look off it this week. Strange games these and Japan intensity will be a step up. Not that it matters but world number 1 is very much in play here. Best crisis Irish rugby ever had...
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Marmion the biggest winner so far. Just got a turnover, but he’s sniping, passing, playing to right tempo and right decision at right time. Just a smart fella. Kilcoyne has done well which would be a comfort if Healy ends up in trouble. Conway brilliant for first try. Other than that just steady and good, although I don’t think Addison did enough and Dave K first involvement is a questionable defensive decision in 5m channel, so hopefully he can get going here. Carty will be pleased too.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fan with smartphone wrote:They are all going well really, without anything too outstanding because Wales look off it this week. Strange games these and Japan intensity will be a step up. Not that it matters but world number 1 is very much in play here. Best crisis Irish rugby ever had...
:lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fan with smartphone wrote:Marmion the biggest winner so far. Just got a turnover, but he’s sniping, passing, playing to right tempo and right decision at right time. Just a smart fella. Kilcoyne has done well which would be a comfort if Healy ends up in trouble. Conway brilliant for first try. Other than that just steady and good, although I don’t think Addison did enough and Dave K first involvement is a questionable defensive decision in 5m channel, so hopefully he can get going here. Carty will be pleased too.
I don't think Marmion has been THAT good but assuming he was penciled in ahead of Luke then I'd say he's cemented that today.

Have to say I'm not getting the praise for Carty. His passing has often been behind the man, he's missed kicks, got turned over, missed touch after we had scrambled brilliantly in defence, over committed for that last try...

A really positive performance though, don't cared what happens from here aside from injuries. Kilcoyne and Ryan were outstanding. Both are very much needed for different reasons and they gave a big boost.

I wonder have we asked players not to wear scrumcaps in preparation for Japan? Best is wearing one but Josh didn't last week and Beirne isn't today.

Would it be madness to suggest that Porter could end up being the primary backup for both sides of the scrum for Leinster next season? Limited evidence but he really is playing well.

Edit: Carty also messed up the try for Conway. A simple pop pass to Addison would have led to a walk in but he made the wrong call and compounded it with a forward pass.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Really happy with Scannel's performance too. I think the lineout we lost was an underthrow but aside from that he was really good. Very sharp and looked powerful.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Not the toughest test obviously but Ringrose looks incredibly comfortable on the wing.