Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Ireland Pool 2019 RWC

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't make any changes apart from ones that we have to make because of injury. The exception would be Joey ahead of Carty regardless of whether that's to start or for a bench spot.

Then I'd make wholesale changes for Russia and mix and match for Samoa. We obviously don't want to flog anyone the week before a QF but the plan for me would be that we get the first choice guys a lot of time in the first two games and then just keep them ticking over after that. Obviously you can't account for every player (e.g. we might just decide to let Aki and POM sit this weekend out) but by and large that should see us the starters for the SA game have plenty of time under their belts.

I notice Joe didn't mention Henshaw when he spoke about the centres for the Japan game.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wouldn't make any changes apart from ones that we have to make because of injury. The exception would be Joey ahead of Carty regardless of whether that's to start or for a bench spot.

Then I'd make wholesale changes for Russia and mix and match for Samoa. We obviously don't want to flog anyone the week before a QF but the plan for me would be that we get the first choice guys a lot of time in the first two games and then just keep them ticking over after that. Obviously you can't account for every player (e.g. we might just decide to let Aki and POM sit this weekend out) but by and large that should see us the starters for the SA game have plenty of time under their belts.

I notice Joe didn't mention Henshaw when he spoke about the centres for the Japan game.
I'd agree with that, and I think that we'll go with a strong team for Japan - perhaps the 50:50 selection calls will go the other way for this match. Carbury, Henshaw, Earls, Kearney, Conan, Beirne, Cronin could all come in
I have Bumbleflex
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I wouldn't make any changes apart from ones that we have to make because of injury. The exception would be Joey ahead of Carty regardless of whether that's to start or for a bench spot.

Broadly agree with that but no doubt Joe will have half an eye on what team Japan will select. Joseph and Brown are wily characters who know enough about competitions to recognise that after a high-quality, emotional win, a team can easily fall off the perch the following week. On the other hand, they will not want their one and only pack of forwards to get demoralised by a rampant Irish pack of 13.

Kearney and Earls to prove they're match fit. Carberry instead of Sexton to prove he can run this backline agressively. Farrell to stay in the centre and let Bundee fully chill out. Healy, Scannell & Porter to start up front with Ryan and Cronin benching. Ryan and Henderson with Josh, Rhys & Conan. Kleyn & CJ benching with Killer. All front-rows on at half-time and keep the foot to the floor. Let the message go out. We're serious and it's competitive to even get a run.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

So you agree with me but would take a totally different approach and make 9 changes that I wouldn't make? :lol:

Just remembered when Josh caught Hogg from behind. As great as that was, the funny thing is that once it was obvious that Josh had to catch him I had zero doubt that he'd manage it.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

As Wayne Barnes might say.
I agree with your interpretation but I don't agree with your solution.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

Hansen saying that NZ will keep maximum intensity in training for the next few weeks until week before quarter finals, and play the squad against the minnows with no rest.
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:So you agree with me but would take a totally different approach and make 9 changes that I wouldn't make.
That's why its only Broadly agree with that
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Hard to call the team for this, but in general he'll go with his strongest team. This is our second hardest game. He can rotate more to against the juiced up looking Russians.The only players he'll rotate in are where their counterpart didn't trail fully for one reason or another. Lots of the players looked goosed coming off; cramping due to humidity for the most part. Who he starts all depends on recovery time.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ali Price out with a foot injury for the rest of the tournament. Costly game for the Scots. Wonder will GT take the plunge and promote Horne Jnr.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

That's a huge loss for Scotland. Laidlaw and Russell just don't work well together. On a dry track Russell and Price could've caused some damage.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The 2017 Japanese Tour wasn't just a sightseeing Tour. Joe selected Rhys Ruddock as Captain for lots of reasons beyond his outstanding leadership qualities. He didn't have Stander or PO'M. He did however have Leavy, Josh and Conan.

Reviewing both of the games and the teams selected by Japan and ourselves, it's my view the Second Test was the more impressive performance, largely because Japan now had the experience of shipping seven tries first time round, whilst scoring three themselves in the 22-50 rout in Shizuoka ( where they play on Saturday).

In the second Test Match we won by 13-35 but IMO more comprehensively that the score suggests. Five tries to two with a substantial lead to Ireland throughout the game.

Earls, Ringrose and Conan each got a couple of tries through the Tour but Paddy Jackson was the dominant figure over the two games and really ran the show with Marmion, Cooney & McGrath inside him.

Taking the evidence of these two Test matches, in conjunction with our pre-RWC games and last Saturday, I believe we'll select a team something like:

15. Kearney.
14. Earls.
13. Ringrose
12. Farrell
11. Stockdale
10. Carberry
9. Murray
1. Healy
2. Scannell
3. Porter
4. Kleyn
5. Ryan
6. Ruddock
7. Van der Flyer
8. Conan

Bench
16. Cronin (after 40 mins)
17. Kilcoyne (after 40 mins)
18. Ryan (after 40 mins)
19. Henderson
20. PO'M
21. McGrath
22. Bundee
23. Conway

What the Irish will find most surprising is that only 13 / 14 of the Japanese players they met during those Test Matches were selected in the Japanese RWC Squad. During that two-year period, Japan has had the best international results in their history and Coaches Joseph and Brown have proved successful (and ruthless in selection.

So, not a walk in the park. A game that will require Kilkenny / Cody selection skills as Joe Scmidt attempts to keep the Squad at high pitch and winning well and yet gives those who need game time the outing that will keep everybody in the Squad motivated and competitive.

Good luck with that.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

And even as I suggest that Squad, I recognise that we can hardly go into that game without a pair of half-backs on the bench which means eliminating Bundee or Conway in favour of Jack Carty. The selection of Farrell & Ringrose is designed to give Carberry vital game time alongside these two in a competive environment - vital should Sexton be unavailable for any reason come a Quarter-final.

On the other hand, relying on putting Earls into No 13 in the event of losing one of the starting centres is not ideal, given the real benefit of a big physique against Japan in the No. 12 shirt. Hence the logic of Bundee's nomination to the bench. But perhaps he's the one who will lose out to Jack Carty for the bench slot on Saturday.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Weather forecast for Saturday.
28C, Humidity 60%
Team announcement.
Given how well the backup back three, it must give Joe a lot of confidence in the abilities of all the players in the squad.
He can afford to rest any player who needs it or has even the slightest ? over their fitness.
Kilcoyne, Scannell Ryan are a unit.
Kleyn Ryan
Beirne, Ruddock, Conan
McGrath Carty
Farrell Ringrose
Conway Stockdale Larmour
Bench
Cronin Healy Porter
Henderson, Stander
Murray Carberry Kearney
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jimbobjoe
Mullet

Post by jimbobjoe »

Assuming the team will be named sometime tonight/tomorrow morning?
John23
Enlightened

Post by John23 »

15. Kearney
14. Earls
13. Ringrose
12. Farrell
11. Stockdale
10. Carty
9. Murray
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony
7. Van der Flier
8. Stander

16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Porter
19. Beirne
20. Ruddock
21. McGrath
22. Carbery
23. Larmour

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
“Somedays you're the pigeon, somedays you're the statue.”
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

John23 wrote:15. Kearney
14. Earls
13. Ringrose
12. Farrell
11. Stockdale
10. Carty
9. Murray
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Furlong
4. Henderson
5. Ryan
6. O'Mahony
7. Van der Flier
8. Stander

16. Cronin
17. Kilcoyne
18. Porter
19. Beirne
20. Ruddock
21. McGrath
22. Carbery
23. Larmour

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
Surprising that it's so close to the First. XV but clear indication that the first team is now fairly settled and that no chances are been taken against the home team. Carty's selection is the big headline but the selection of the pack also speaks volumes.

Good luck to them all and let's hope they maintain the momentum.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

OK so Cronin is the replacement hooker but why are we flogging Best. Is there something wrong with Niall Scannell?
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Scannell took a knock in traning iirc so may not be fully fit.

In any case I'd say it's about getting the starting pack another half together and then getting the likes of Best, Healy, Stander etc off quickly.
Probably the last chance to get 5+ of them on the pitch together at same time before a QF.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wouldn't have brought both Kearney and Earls in but I guess that barring injuries (Sexton, Henshaw, and presumably Aki) that's pretty much the team that Joe wanted to start last weekend so can understand why he'd want them playing ASAP.

Big vote of confidence in Carty. I'd have started Joey but it's great for the squad that Carty is trusted.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how our pack starts the game. Have a feeling that we'll be pretty fired up given that we reacted to the Japanese comments about Healy's scrummaging.
tomthefan
Knowledgeable

Post by tomthefan »

wixfjord wrote:Scannell took a knock in traning iirc so may not be fully fit.
Ah OK, didn't know that. Must be deflating when a 37 year old who had a full 80
6 days ago is preferred to you (Cronin).
You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.

Date this ban will be lifted: Never