(2019) RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Re: RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Just listening to the radio ands its amazing the amount of people who have email/tweet to say that they're delighted that the arrogance of the team (and media) has been put back in their place.

We're a funny race! :shock:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I’ve had a bad feeling ever since that Bath game in the HC last season where we appeared to be in world-beating form then just barely scraped by them. All the warning signs were there that the Irish game had been figured out and needed to evolve quickly. Leinster seem to have adapted - we’ll know soon enough - but Ireland have actually gone backwards a little, which equates to a lot on the scoreboard.

So yeah I think we arrived at this tournament with a gameplan that was too conservative, but the players implemented it really poorly today and its not the first time. I don’t want to slate individuals when they’re at a low ebb, but I think we have to see a big turnover over the next 12 months. It’ll be balanced with the need to remain competitive and as always there’ll be guys unavailable through injury. But I think by 2021 8 of the players who started today will have won their last cap

Today wasn’t the first underperformance; England at home, Cardiff, Twickenham and now pretty much the whole RWC. There were lads walking back into the defensive line when we were under pressure but still had a chance. I’ve derived a lot of happiness from the performances of these players but Im afraid some of them are done now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Just listening to the radio ands its amazing the amount of people who have email/tweet to say that they're delighted that the arrogance of the team (and media) has been put back in their place.

Agreed......we are a funny bunch......for me a sad day as this coach and team have given so much pleasure and it is not a nice way to end the Joe era.
Blueberry
Mullet

Post by Blueberry »

Twist wrote:I’ve had a bad feeling ever since that Bath game in the HC last season where we appeared to be in world-beating form then just barely scraped by them. All the warning signs were there that the Irish game had been figured out and needed to evolve quickly. Leinster seem to have adapted - we’ll know soon enough - but Ireland have actually gone backwards a little, which equates to a lot on the scoreboard.

So yeah I think we arrived at this tournament with a gameplan that was too conservative, but the players implemented it really poorly today and its not the first time. I don’t want to slate individuals when they’re at a low ebb, but I think we have to see a big turnover over the next 12 months. It’ll be balanced with the need to remain competitive and as always there’ll be guys unavailable through injury. But I think by 2021 8 of the players who started today will have won their last cap

Today wasn’t the first underperformance; England at home, Cardiff, Twickenham and now pretty much the whole RWC. There were lads walking back into the defensive line when we were under pressure but still had a chance. I’ve derived a lot of happiness from the performances of these players but Im afraid some of them are done now

I think Leinster are adapting and learning, Ireland have not. Good comment.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

LeinsterLeader wrote:Just listening to the radio ands its amazing the amount of people who have email/tweet to say that they're delighted that the arrogance of the team (and media) has been put back in their place.

Only if you accept that the people tweeting and texting are the voice of anything other than an angry minority.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Pilotman123 wrote:Atleast I won something, I betted that NZ would win 46-14
:roll:

Sure you did.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I know a bloke who used to make up dreams he had. I think it was just to have something to talk about.
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

johng wrote:I know a bloke who used to make up dreams he had. I think it was just to have something to talk about.
No one cares, that statement is irrelevant
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Pilotman123 wrote:
johng wrote:I know a bloke who used to make up dreams he had. I think it was just to have something to talk about.
You still haven't posted the betslip or given the odds.

I mean fair play if you did win, but posting that directly after the final whistle is a bit...fishy. :wink:
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

wixfjord wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:
You still haven't posted the betslip or given the odds.

I mean fair play if you did win, but posting that directly after the final whistle is a bit...fishy. :wink:
Do you guys think I care if you believe me or not? Haha no it’s my business
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

It was a bet to my mate and he owes me €50 now
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Pilotman123 wrote:It was a bet to my mate and he owes me €50 now
Friend? Now I know it's s balderdash...and there's the ignore button, away you go to join such other luminaries like Sin a bhfuil and Mach 5
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

RoboProp wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:It was a bet to my mate and he owes me €50 now
Friend? Now I know it's s balderdash...and there's the ignore button, away you go to join such other luminaries like Sin a bhfuil and Mach 5
I have no idea what you are talking about...I was just making a statement that I put a bet on what score I think the game would be no need to ignore me
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Don’t like the way some people are taking the piss out of me here
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Let’s just move on and only talk about the match
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

We really weren't at the races. Totally bereft of any creativity. The way in which we play offensively is utterly predictable, and far too easy to defend. Compared to New Zealand whose speed at recycling the ball at the breakdown was Jedi Knight like in its fluidity and urgency of motion. Their sheer dynamism was unlike anything we have been capable of this year.Ireland will really have to go back to the drawing board and I'm afraid Farrell isn't the answer. New players will need to be blooded and old reliable work horses will have to join Boxer at the glue factory. Bit harsh that I know
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

Twist wrote:I’ve had a bad feeling ever since that Bath game in the HC last season where we appeared to be in world-beating form then just barely scraped by them. All the warning signs were there that the Irish game had been figured out and needed to evolve quickly. Leinster seem to have adapted - we’ll know soon enough - but Ireland have actually gone backwards a little, which equates to a lot on the scoreboard.

today reminded me of the cardiff game this year in the 6N. not just that we had a half chance with stockdale in both games...almost an intercept today and similar in cardiff when he gathered a kick through but was tackled into touch.... both seemed like total capitulation. no confidence or conviction in what we were doing...and the mistakes flowed. I was in the millenium during the wales game and it was very painful to watch. joe has earned his place in irish rugby history and it is a shame it has ended this way but this year has not being vintage to be honest.
Thought nigel had an okay game but my jaw dropped in the first half when he gave one of the quickest mauls ever early in the game. leaving that aside, when you look at the squad, there is quality there..and I don't agree with the hammering they are getting in the Indo especially. Joe has to hold his hand up...we do have world class players in that squad....and I am afraid he hasn't managed them to their best. Overcooked..and predictable.

In the same breath...the ABs were awesome. their fluidity was superb. quick ball and hard not to be impressed as a rugby fan.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Logorrhea wrote:

Only if you accept that the people tweeting and texting are the voice of anything other than an angry minority.
Completely agree. There's a lot of bitter, angry, people out there who are gleeful about an Irish representative team losing a game.
Dont Panic!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone wanna try and pick their prediction for the Irish World Cup team for 2023 ?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone wanna try and pick their prediction for the Irish World Cup team for 2023 ?
Are you gonna Win €50 from you “mate” if you name tithe team after selection?