(2019) RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by Oldschool »

blockhead wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:How are people feeling about this game? confident?
Nah. Not enough foreigners in the team.
Would feel more confident if Joe had taken a punt on JGP instead of McGrath. :(
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Nigel is the ref. NZ will be happy with him.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

dropkick wrote:Nigel is the ref. NZ will be happy with him.
:cry:
Dont Panic!
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

our players should be far more familiar with Owen and he owes us after 2013
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

enby wrote:our players should be far more familiar with Owen and he owes us after 2013
Nigel won’t care about his past infractions if it gets in the way of his story
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

enby wrote:our players should be far more familiar with Owen and he owes us after 2013
And 2012 - 19 all and Nigel gives a bizarre penalty to NZ in front of our posts. (and both from when Nigel was on his game!)

Whatever slim chances we had are gone now...
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschool wrote:
blockhead wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:How are people feeling about this game? confident?
Nah. Not enough foreigners in the team.
Would feel more confident if Joe had taken a punt on JGP instead of McGrath. :(
Well you know my feelings- but I honestly don’t think it will come down to that selection.

We will miss Jack Conan though. I may have blue-goggles on, but he and Josh bring a level of craft, hardness and smarts that for all the lopsided merits of POM and Stander (and they have a lot) they just can’t replicate in terms of balance against an NZ team.

But I’m hopeful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

So - the spread on the game is Ireland +12. But the outright odds on the game are about 5/1.

Seems quite long odds for a 12 point spread?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

The Doc wrote:So - the spread on the game is Ireland +12. But the outright odds on the game are about 5/1.

Seems quite long odds for a 12 point spread?
Worth a tenner then.

I suppose the logic would be that we will run them close on the score by not conceding much with our defence- but don’t have the wherewithal to go and outscore them in attack.

We’ll see then- won’t we...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

olaf the fat wrote:
And 2012 - 19 all and Nigel gives a bizarre penalty to NZ in front of our posts. (and both from when Nigel was on his game!)

Whatever slim chances we had are gone now...
The scrum penalty against us was the bigger crime IMO.

He was on my list of refs I didn't want but at least he'd have been at the lower end. I feel like this might influence the selection at 6, Owens would give Beirne the chance to poach whereas other refs might have negated his ability there.
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Nigel has a pretty frustrating quirk of seemingly reffing to a narrative.

If Ireland were to win this would be the biggest win in our history. Nigel is well aware of this and I think it would suit us. A lot of games he has reffed in recent years have been closer than they should be because the favourites have been kept down by some bizarre decisions.

I'd prefer Barnes but Nige would be my second choice over all the other options available in the context of the All Blacks game
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Fla was talking about Nigel on House of Rugby saying he's very frustrating to a pro player/coach.

Quite unpredictable and will as mentioned value a narrative or sneaking in a one-liner/talking point over the actual events on the pitch.

It will be a free flowing game interjected by Nigel being Nigel with the former really seeming to favour NZ.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

arsebiscuits1 wrote:Nigel has a pretty frustrating quirk of seemingly reffing to a narrative.

If Ireland were to win this would be the biggest win in our history. Nigel is well aware of this and I think it would suit us. A lot of games he has reffed in recent years have been closer than they should be because the favourites have been kept down by some bizarre decisions.

I'd prefer Barnes but Nige would be my second choice over all the other options available in the context of the All Blacks game
Don't believe for a moment that the Refs aren't in competition also for further progress. If Wales or England make the Final that's one way that Owens or Barnes will be rulled out. But the other way is by not producing a top class, unbiased, display in the Q/F games. Criticism at this point leaves no time for recovery.

Nigel is a crowd pleaser so the amount of reaction Irish fans can make on Saturday will be critical. This has a progressive impact on a Ref, not just a series of big decisions. In Nigel's case, he'll be working with one AR to whom he relates well and with Gardner with whom he only shares the right to have a whistle. Graham Hughes is a Northern English (Lancashire I think) TMO & ex-ref who doesn't have a blinkered view of NZ and will be prepared to give Nigel plenty of views on any query.

Everyone of the last four games we have played against NZ, the Ref has been crucial. Saturday will be no different and I'll be very surprised if either team wins by more than 9 poiints.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Reasons to believe #1 - our superior defence

Apart from SA, New Zealand have played teams that are lower ranked (Canada 22nd & Namibia 23rd) than Ireland's opponents (Japan 7th, Scotland, 9th, Samoa 15th & Russia 20th). Despite this, New Zealand have a higher missed tackle rate than Ireland. 17% versus 11%.

They missed no less than 22% of their 126 against SA.

We have had to tackle more in both of our two matches against Tier 1 opposition than New Zealand did, yet we still have far superior tackle rate.

We missed just 6% of 135 tackles against Scotland and 10.5% of 171 against Japan. We have missed less despite having to make more tackles, 36% more in the game against Japan relative to their Boks match. OK, we lost, but that was without the World Player of the Year.

Their defence was last tested 2 weeks ago and last seriously tested all of 1 month ago, when they missed 28 tackles/ 22%.

So we have been to the well in defence twice and done better both times than their single big match oh so long ago!

#Believe
Fireworks
Mullet

Post by Fireworks »

I had a theory which the loss to Jpan put a dent in. I thought that last year's 6n drop in form was part of the S&C development for the WC and the holding back of some plays and a new game plan. I thought that the limited game plan would be enough to see win our pool and lull the QF opposition into a false sense of confidence before unleashing the new game plan.

Then I woke up. I do think that something has been held back and I really hope it is enough to get past NZ.

I am happy with the ref as I trust that Best will be well able to manage him. I just hope that Sexton is kept away from him if there are any iffy calls.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Fireworks wrote:
Then I woke up.
:lol:
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Morf wrote:Fla was talking about Nigel on House of Rugby saying he's very frustrating to a pro player/coach.

Quite unpredictable and will as mentioned value a narrative or sneaking in a one-liner/talking point over the actual events on the pitch.
That's how I see him but would have thought that teams had a better handle on him so am slightly surprised/worried to hear that coaches can be just as confused as we are.

One of Nige's favourite tricks is to completely ignore side entries (which is an epidemic at the moment but in his case I'm going back years) and then suddenly ping one late on when a team (usually the favourite playing away from home) is just making a comeback and then that kills it completely and the home fans love him for it.

Not sure if it's confirmed but think he might be retiring after the world cup so I'd expect him to go out with a bang. Barnes and Garces retiring too so lots of changes coming next year.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Reasons to believe #2 - the weather & newbie wingers

It is predicted to be 18 degrees with significant rainfall (+4cms) across the afternoon and evening. (Yr.No)

Cue greasy surface and ball, Murray & Sexton keeping it tight. Cue POM back in preferred conditions.

Reece (22 yrs, 5 caps) and Bridge (24 yrs, 7 caps)

Cue aerial tests against Kearney, Henshaw, Earls and Ringer.

#Believe
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: One of Nige's favourite tricks is to completely ignore side entries (which is an epidemic at the moment but in his case I'm going back years) and then suddenly ping one late on when a team (usually the favourite playing away from home) is just making a comeback and then that kills it completely and the home fans love him for it.
:lol:

This is so true.

Also he likes to totally disagree with the TMO decision on at least one occasion on something big like a high tackle or taking a man out in the air not because the evidence supports it but because he can, could result in a team losing a man cheaply or getting away with murder. How you fall on the right side of this is hard to calculate unfortunately.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Experimental
Knowledgeable

Post by Experimental »

Totally happy with Nige as the ref, as I'm sure Newzealand will be. Barnes and Nige are the best refs imo, even tho, i'd say there might have been a few Kiwis whinging if Barnes was the ref. New Zealand as brilliant as they are, are coming into this undercooked no matter what way you look at it. Apart from South Africa, they have not really been tested in a while. They have a lot of guys playing with not a lot of high pressure international knockout game experience and if Retallick starts, a guy who must be a bit rusty. I believe we have a better scrum and a more destructive pack in general. Sexton is better than Barrett according to at least world rugby. Im sure Joe will have put a lot of plans in place for the targeting of Sexton. Ireland will have to play at their very best to beat NewZealand, but new Zealand are going to have to play at their very best to beat Ireland. Its gonna be epic!