(2019) RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by Pilotman123 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:
Pilotman123 wrote:Anyone wanna try and pick their prediction for the Irish World Cup team for 2023 ?
Are you gonna Win €50 from you “mate” if you name tithe team after selection?
No
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

Jean Kleyn - not close to international standard

Conor Murray - cr@p for over a year now. Should be told thanks for the memories and ushered out the door as fast as possible. Would really like to see Ireland go with a fast snap passer the likes of Marmion and Cooney can provide.

Cian Healy - will be too old next time round. Let's start blooding in the new guy now.

Jonathan Sexton - The body can't do it anymore. Give Carberry the shirt and let's start training Byrne in to be his understudy.

Rob Kearney - Conway and Larmour need to be given time in the jersey to make it there own.

POM - drifts in and out of games to often. Beirne can do the same job as him and do it better

Henshaw - to injury prone. Rarely shows his Leinster form in Irish colours maybe its the system but he's never given consistent performances over time.

As some have said about changing the system it has to be done. Would like to see what the likes of Buckley could do at 1 and I know it's hindsight but Dillane instead of Kleyn any day of the week. We also like to bring in guys like McFadden and Dave Kearney who can do a job for a game or two. These should be told NO, get some young guy in with no caps and give him a chance to shine.

There is talent in the provinces. we need to take some chances again and back the younger guys.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

sunshiner1 wrote:I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

Conor Murray - cr@p for over a year now. Should be told thanks for the memories and ushered out the door as fast as possible. Would really like to see Ireland go with a fast snap passer the likes of Marmion and Cooney can provide.

Cian Healy - will be too old next time round. Let's start blooding in the new guy now.

Jonathan Sexton - The body can't do it anymore. Give Carberry the shirt and let's start training Byrne in to be his understudy.

Rob Kearney - Conway and Larmour need to be given time in the jersey to make it there own.

POM - drifts in and out of games to often. Beirne can do the same job as him and do it better

Henshaw - to injury prone. Rarely shows his Leinster form in Irish colours maybe its the system but he's never given consistent performances over time.

As some have said about changing the system it has to be done. Would like to see what the likes of Buckley could do at 1 and I know it's hindsight but Dillane instead of Kleyn any day of the week. We also like to bring in guys like McFadden and Dave Kearney who can do a job for a game or two. These should be told NO, get some young guy in with no caps and give him a chance to shine.

There is talent in the provinces. we need to take some chances again and back the younger guys.
Right, so I don't mean this personally at all.

But this is the exact sort of knee-jerk bullshit we see after every big Irish rugby loss, indeed after every big Irish sporting win or loss. We go from the best in the world to a team of half bit bums who couldn't tie their own shoelaces.

Change is needed but the 'clean house and get rid of everyone!!' thing is just ridiculous.

Some of those guys are naturally coming to an end. Some of them will be mainstays of our team in February come the 6N (the trophy we go all out to win every year).

I mean dropping Cian Healy and bringing in Denis Buckley? You can't be serious?!
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

sunshiner1 wrote:I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

Totally agree, we need to get all the old people out and start off fresh with a new team and a new coach and rebuild we have a lot of young talent coming through especially with the Ireland u20s winning grand slam and Leinster A winning Celtic Cup, we do we have talent in the country so we should use it and give the young players a run and start off fresh with a new team
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

We should only playing 18 year olds at the start of this 4 year cycle that way they would be both young (still only 22) and experienced (potentially 60 odd caps) by the time of the next World Cup. Obviously we would then dump them and start again.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

OTT wrote:We should only playing 18 year olds that way we would be both young (still only 22) and experienced (potentially 60 odd caps) by the time of the next World Cup. Obviously we would then dump them and start again.
And James Ryan.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Is Jack O'Driscoll ready for test rugby yet?

I mean he has four years to get up to speed.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
OTT wrote:We should only playing 18 year olds that way we would be both young (still only 22) and experienced (potentially 60 odd caps) by the time of the next World Cup. Obviously we would then dump them and start again.
And James Ryan.
He's yesterday's man.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

cormac wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
And James Ryan.
He's yesterday's man.
I heard from a reliable source that he is sh!t compared to Ryan Baird anyway.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
And James Ryan.
No. He's made his bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blaker
Enlightened

Post by blaker »

Couple or random points;

1) we need to de-emphasise wins in November. It’s evident cycle on cycle that the Sth Hem teams peak for the WC, particularly SA. Combo of emphasis and their players being in foreign clubs between WCs. Like, wins are nice but have no bearing on the WC. I’m not saying play the nippers v NZ every autumn but....
2) we have been losing by more than 20 points at halftime 3 times in WC QFs. When you combine that with 2 group exits it starts to become apparent that we have a comprehensive, and consistent inability to manage WC cycles.
Leinster jersey on the Great Wall of China.The Mongolians couldn't breach it but the Blues did!
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

blaker wrote:Couple or random points;

1) we need to de-emphasise wins in November. It’s evident cycle on cycle that the Sth Hem teams peak for the WC, particularly SA. Combo of emphasis and their players being in foreign clubs between WCs. Like, wins are nice but have no bearing on the WC. I’m not saying play the nippers v NZ every autumn but....
2) we have been losing by more than 20 points at halftime 3 times in WC QFs. When you combine that with 2 group exits it starts to become apparent that we have a comprehensive, and consistent inability to manage WC cycles.
I know but they don't peak due to some planetary alignment. They peak at wc because they plan to do so. We don't. We prioritise the 6n and most likely November games because the IRFU want to protect the income and believe any drop off in performance will be seen at the turnstiles.
I think we need to look at that before all else.
And before anyone says why can't we do both. We need to accept that beating teams when they are not at their peak needs to be taken into account when rating your own standing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

heno wrote:
blaker wrote:Couple or random points;

I know but they don't peak due to some planetary alignment. They peak at wc because they plan to do so. We don't. We prioritise the 6n and most likely November games because the IRFU want to protect the income and believe any drop off in performance will be seen at the turnstiles.
I think we need to look at that before all else.
And before anyone says why can't we do both. We need to accept that beating teams when they are not at their peak needs to be taken into account when rating your own standing.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Well until recently we couldn't even manage those AI wins or SH tour wins for that matter.
Joe change that too.
Good Luck Joe
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Thread from 4 years ago...makes interesting reading in the context of what is to come....somewhat different pre-match vibe this time around....
read back over it on the train to Paris; particularly looking forward to the Irish Supporters bringing the noise and having an influence on this game...we have a role to play this time round!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

sunshiner1 wrote: October 20th, 2019, 11:09 am I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

4 years is a long time in rugby. Exhibit A!

Tbc, I would have echoed a few of these sentiments way back when. Didn't see any of the elder statesmen making the cut.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Observingprop123
Mullet

Post by Observingprop123 »

paddyor wrote: October 13th, 2023, 10:50 am
sunshiner1 wrote: October 20th, 2019, 11:09 am I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

Tbc, I would have echoed a few of these sentiments way back when. Didn't see any of the elder statesmen making the cut.
I didn't see Sexton or Murray making it, the rest I thought would be around(Kearney was obviously moving on aswell). The French took the culling approach it must be said and it worked out well for them. It'll be intresting to see what we do with players this time around.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

wixfjord wrote: October 20th, 2019, 11:26 am

Right, so I don't mean this personally at all.

But this is the exact sort of knee-jerk bullshit we see after every big Irish rugby loss, indeed after every big Irish sporting win or loss. We go from the best in the world to a team of half bit bums who couldn't tie their own shoelaces.

Change is needed but the 'clean house and get rid of everyone!!' thing is just ridiculous.

Some of those guys are naturally coming to an end. Some of them will be mainstays of our team in February come the 6N (the trophy we go all out to win every year).

I mean dropping Cian Healy and bringing in Denis Buckley? You can't be serious?!
Happy enough with that!!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: (2019) RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by ronk »

I've seen worse knee jerk bull.

Healy and Sexton have been pleasant surprises. Murray has been backup 9 for 3 full seasons. Kleyn call mostly right. Kearney was moved on, possibly early. POM has done well but has mostly been sub for a few years. Beirne is on the teamsheet earlier. Henshaw is injured.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by paddyor » October 13th, 2023, 10:50 am
sunshiner1

I am so f**king depressed after that game. Players that Farrell should draw a line through and say are done with Ireland is the following:

Gee Paddyor talking about hanging a guy out to dry :lol:

Also Buckley was playing the Rugby of his life at the time and wasn't ever given a chance in green to show what he could do.
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

Henderson, Old Peter, Murray, Earls from 'the provinces' were always going to be required in the 15/23/squad, if fit, for their experience, know-how and ability.
Gwan Ireland.
That which does not bend breaks