(2019) RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Pilotman123
Graduate

Re: RWC Quarter-Final v New Zealand

Post by Pilotman123 »

Anyone else struggling to get sleep this week? I’ve never been so excited for a game...only two more nights, when I eventually got sleep last night I had a dream about Ireland winning and Jonny Sexton scoring the winning drop goal..hopefully something similar happens this weekend please God !
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

For my sins I've just finished re-watching Irl v Jap.
What can Hansen get out of that game that could hurt us.
The ruck would be the big thing.
Japan flooded the breakdown, can NZ emulate and if they try to can we counter.
Kicking.
We kicked away a lot of possession against Japan, Hansen will be hoping we do that again but even if we don't, he will have noted that we were vulnerable against the counter.
Lineout.
It's always worth having a go at our lineout.
Surprises.
Joe says he's doesn't have any and Hansen believes him.
Predictability.
Ireland are predictable, they throw down the gauntlet...
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Oldschool wrote:For my sins I've just finished re-watching Irl v Jap.
Kicking.
We kicked away a lot of possession against Japan, Hansen will be hoping we do that again but even if we don't, he will have noted that we were vulnerable against the counter.
Lineout.
Surprises.
Predictability.
Hope you also noted the illegality of the Japanese forwards on clearouts. Reviewing the total match, there were over 70 breakdowns at which a Japanese forward either:

a) Entered from the side, not the hind foot;
b) Took out an Irish player away from the breakdown (before or beyond it);
c) Left his feet and went to ground beyond the ball; or,
d) Did not support his own bodyweight while still competing for the ball.

The catelogue of Japanese offences at breakdown was monumental and whilst current & former referees excuse much of this by pointing to how skillful and exciting the Japanese style is and what a spectacle it provides for the fans, the fact is that under current Laws of the game, THEIR STYLE IS ILLEGAL.

Yes, we may see change in the Laws as World Rugby seek to encourage Fiji, Tonga, Samoa & others try to replicate the Japanese style. Until then the referees have to start penalising the Blossoms and ensure the game is played under the Laws of the game.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Kicking.
Lineout.
Surprises.
Predictability.
Hope you also noted the illegality of the Japanese forwards on clearouts. Reviewing the total match, there were over 70 breakdowns at which a Japanese forward either:

The catelogue of Japanese offences at breakdown was monumental and whilst current & former referees excuse much of this by pointing to how skillful and exciting the Japanese style is and what a spectacle it provides for the fans, the fact is that under current Laws of the game, THEIR STYLE IS ILLEGAL.

Yes, we may see change in the Laws as World Rugby seek to encourage Fiji, Tonga, Samoa & others try to replicate the Japanese style. Until then the referees have to start penalising the Blossoms and ensure the game is played under the Laws of the game.
Tried not to be too myopic simply because NZ are better than most teams at being illegal and getting away with it.
It's something that JS is going to have to cater for.
Couldn't agree more about the laws I don't necessarily think it makes the game more entertaining.
It does make it more dangerous and ultimately if ref cards become the order of the day then the game is going to be ruined anyway.
The authorities are ignoring cause and effect.
The faster the pace at which the game is played the higher the risk of injury.
As regards the breakdown, teams will adopt tactics to counter the laws.
We now have fewer scrums than ever before, do away with rucks and what will be left.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
flustered
Knowledgeable

Post by flustered »

Wonder we will see a targeting of Reece in the air, just can't kick loosely to him as he obviously a dangerous broken field runner, the two 20 minutes either side of half time are going to be crucial to this game....and the timing of any changes, give POM 50-55 minutes empty the tank and then get Ruddock/Beirne on....if game needs to be chased Larmour to the wing and Carbery to fullback, what will we have to lose at that stage! If Henshaw goes down do we see Sexton to centre and Carbery to 10...
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

flustered wrote:Wonder we will see a targeting of Reece in the air, just can't kick loosely to him as he obviously a dangerous broken field runner, the two 20 minutes either side of half time are going to be crucial to this game....and the timing of any changes, give POM 50-55 minutes empty the tank and then get Ruddock/Beirne on....if game needs to be chased Larmour to the wing and Carbery to fullback, what will we have to lose at that stage! If Henshaw goes down do we see Sexton to centre and Carbery to 10...
I can’t really see Sexton playing 12 he’ll get smashed, It’s a pity we don’t have a 10 that can also play 12 in our team like Owen Farrell with England
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

For the last couple of years I've been saying that NZ are a shadow of their former selves but I can't see us winning tomorrow. 2019 has just been too up and down for us and my pre tournament fears about lacking depth in the second row (last year we had Toner starting and Henderson to come off the bench) and our back row not quite being good enough this time (even though the same players started 11 months ago) are still there.

But I keep changing my mind every five minutes. The Japanese defeat wasn't great but the ref and humidity played a part and it's not like the performance was a total disaster. We're in a far healthier position than this time four years ago and whether we've got the preparation right or not the feeling is that this weekend is the one we've been targeting the most for the last four years. Having rewatched our two wins against them it was noticeable that we were far more inventive than usual and if we spring that on NZ tomorrow then we have every chance, and if our lineout holds up and our kicking game is the exact opposite of the Japan game then we can do it.

I hate the idea of Joe and Besty finishing up tomorrow when it's such a big game in our history and hope that if we do lose then we lose a great game and that it hasn't had anything to do with Nigel Owens. On paper we have every chance (I'd take more than half our team ahead of theirs) and really are in decent shape all things considered, but I think the trauma from previous World Cups is just so strong for me that I expect a depressing loss. I can't shake that but if there's a group of players who've proven that they can step up on big occasions then its the guys who'll be lining out tomorrow.
Fan with smartphone
Graduate

Post by Fan with smartphone »

Running the risk of serious egg on face here, but just don’t think Reece is that good. Maybe I’m way out, but i really don’t think you are talking Lomu, Rockoko, Sivivatu, Savea, Naholo, Ioane, Milner-Skudder here. My worry, like flustered, would be our own niggles. Sexton being one - but listening to him talk, he seems in a very good place. The other is probably Henshaw. He didn’t get picked for the lions tests - I think wrongly - and I’d be looking forward to seeing him tear into these guys. Last week he was cautious, so you just hope with that under his belt and another week of work...he is ready to properly rock and leave it all out there. Larmour i think is the cover if needed and funny enough that could end up a right old problem for them too if it came to it. I’m really nervous about this game, just so wary of them breaking out and doing something incredible, but I always come back to a simple, inescapable point...we are a very good team. And i think we are gonna get a performance here.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think Reece is brilliant but he hasn't really been tested all that much, Crusaders were rarely rattled and he only has five caps. I can't say that I've ever seen him as a weak link but you never really know with someone until they're thrown into that environment. I don't think we've seen Johnny launching many of those huge garryowens recently but I can imagine him putting a couple on him and getting Rob (although I have my doubts about his fitness tbh) and Garry chasing him down.

Honestly, every positive thought I have about the match is quickly replaced by "of course that won't happen because it's Ireland in a World Cup" :lol:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
Kicking.
Lineout.
Surprises.
Predictability.

All true, but NZ are likely to be just as illegal and Nigel is likely to let them away with it
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Honestly, every positive thought I have about the match is quickly replaced by "of course that won't happen because it's Ireland in a World Cup" :lol:
This is me all the way! I've been left deflated so many times by Ireland QF performances that I'm expecting NOTHING tomorrow....
Dont Panic!
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

On the eve of Joe's last Irish match, Well done Joe and thanks for all the great days we enjoyed over the years.

- Lets hope this doesnt age well :wink:
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

One more sleep....literally can’t wait
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Dexter wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: Honestly, every positive thought I have about the match is quickly replaced by "of course that won't happen because it's Ireland in a World Cup" :lol:
This is me all the way! I've been left deflated so many times by Ireland QF performances that I'm expecting NOTHING tomorrow....

Same here. I've throttled any hope I had for this tournament. Strangely I don't have the usually feeling of doom about this match but that might be because of the lowered hope. :D
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

My predicted score: Ireland 36 - 24 NZ
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Twist wrote:All true, but NZ are likely to be just as illegal and Nigel is likely to let them away with it
They're smart enough to adjust quickly to how illegal they can be too.
Something Irish teams seem to struggle with a lá Peyper, Garces and Gauzere games.
olaf the fat
Seán Cronin

Post by olaf the fat »

Regardless of recent performances, we have the found the measure of the AB's. It's gone from a fear to a challenge. Onwards to the SF's

One thing for sure, its going to be a humdinger of a game. CMON IRELAND!!!

(Match day! Mocker god's already sorted)
As they say in Russia, Goodbye in Russian
Pilotman123
Graduate

Post by Pilotman123 »

Something special is happening I hope I’m right but I think something special is going to happen tomorrow! Cmon Ireland!!
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

We're gonna do it...
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

I believe. Believe we will play very well. Believe we will rock the ABs. Believe we can win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"