Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Irl v Sco 6Ns 2020

Post by wixfjord »

Team I'd go with for Saturday -

Healy, Herring, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Stander, VDF, Doris, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Conway, Larmour
Kilcoyne, Kelleher, Porter, Toner, Deegan, Cooney, Byrne, Earls

Unlikely to see that side but that would be my choice.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote:Team I'd go with for Saturday -

Healy, Herring, Furlong, Ryan, Henderson, Stander, VDF, Doris, Murray, Sexton, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Conway, Larmour

Why would you pick Conor Murray, out of interest?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

hugonaut wrote:
wixfjord wrote:Team I'd go with for Saturday -

Why would you pick Conor Murray, out of interest?
A couple of reasons:

I think his performances have been much improved over the last few weeks.
With Doris new at 8 I think it would help to have Murray behind him.
But mostly I think Cooney's performances are being overrated due to try scoring and him being a different type of 9. I'm not sure he'll be compatible with Sexton. The only way Scotland win this is if we draw them into a shoot out. I think Cooney is far more likely to fall into that trap than Murray.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I'd go with Cooney but I agree with all that. I'm repeating myself but Cooney is the main man for Ulster and runs the show. He won't do that with Ireland and things like his goal kicking are irrelevant.

I hate the idea of Johnny starting after a lay off but it's going to happen so in that scenario I quite like the idea of himself and Cooney starting and then Murray and Ross coming off the bench together. As much as I don't think Cooney will be able to play the same style with Ireland, he's still an excellent passer and quick to the breakdown so I've no doubt that that would be good for Johnny too.

So I don't really cares who's picked at 9 tbh, but I will care if Murray (or any of last year's under-performers) doesn't perform and keeps his place.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Anyone else sick of the mantra coming from a lot of the pundits, of not making radical changes to the team, when most suggestions are anything but radical! I'm finding the same with a lot of my mates for instance I posted the following team on a whatsapp group:

1. Healy 2. Herring 3. Furlong 4. Ryan 5. Henderson 6. Stander 7. JvdF 8. Deegan 9. Cooney 10. Sexton 11. Stockdale 12. Henshaw 13. Ringrose 14. Conway 15. Larmour
16. Kelleher 17. Kilcoyne 18. Porter 19. Toner 20. Doris 21. POM 22. Murray 23. Addison

I went with the cool new 6/2 bench split (more to fit POM & Doris in).

One reaction I got was that it was a risk starting a new cap at such a pivotal position as 8. I mean if we can't start 1 new cap in a 6nations game vs. Scotland at home we are in big trouble. People forget that the likes of Larmour, Herring and even Cooney have all been capped before and all have vast experience at elite club level for a number of years, yes it's a step up and yes new combinations will have to be formed but get over it and get it done.

I find the attitude amazing when you consider that 20 years ago one of the best coaches ever in the NH managed to send out 5 new caps in a game vs. Scotland in Dublin and they seemed to do ok (remember we hadn't beaten Scotland in the previous 8 years or something)! Why now with all the success and performance levels in our provincial structures are we still so conservative in our selections compared to almost every other tier 1 nation and especially against inferior opposition.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

Not wishing to cause offence but utterly ridiculous to have that bench.
No replacement 10
Do you honestly Think Sexton is going to last 80 minutes when his last game was mid December.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

I imagine the thinking is that Cooney could play there. It's no more ridiculous than some of the wishful thinking half back squad selections that Schmidt made for world cups.

I see Gerry has Doris starting, Stander at 6 and deegan covering the back row in the Times.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

fourthirtythree wrote:I imagine the thinking is that Cooney could play there. It's no more ridiculous than some of the wishful thinking half back squad selections that Schmidt made for world cups.

I see Gerry has Doris starting, Stander at 6 and deegan covering the back row in the Times.
Indo also reporting that Doris will start
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Team according to Cian Treacy -

W Addison; A Conway/K Earls/J Larmour, G Ringrose, R Henshaw, J Stockdale; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Herring, T Furlong; J Ryan, I Henderson; CJ Stander, J van der Flier, C Doris.

Brilliant to see Doris in. He deserves it.

That's pretty much the side I'd have besides Larmour.

Kelleher on the bench also according to Treacy.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

A BR of CJ, JVDF and Doris with Deegan on the bench is both sensible, low risk and will improve our chances of winning.
Starting Murray and Sexton would be a big risk.
Murray has poor form and Sexton is returning from injury.
Cooney/Sexton or Murray/Byrne would be better options.
As an aside, if Farrell wants to play a fast game then, Cooney, Marmion and JGP are the best players to implement that strategy.
McGrath brings more tempo to a game too.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

locho wrote:
I find the attitude amazing when you consider that 20 years ago one of the best coaches ever in the NH managed to send out 5 new caps in a game vs. Scotland in Dublin and they seemed to do ok (remember we hadn't beaten Scotland in the previous 8 years or something)! Why now with all the success and performance levels in our provincial structures are we still so conservative in our selections compared to almost every other tier 1 nation and especially against inferior opposition.
That has to be taken in context though - Ireland had finished the 5 nations bottom 7 of the 10 tournaments the previous decade, we were the worst team in the 5 Nations and were being beaten regularly by a pre 6 Nations Italy, and had just suffered a record stuffing by the English. There was nothing to lose. Conversely, three months ago Ireland were the number one ranked side in the world, 12 months previously beat the All Blacks and were favourites for the World Cup. Its easier to take risks when you have nothing left to lose.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

wixfjord wrote: But mostly I think Cooney's performances are being overrated due to try scoring and him being a different type of 9. I'm not sure he'll be compatible with Sexton. The only way Scotland win this is if we draw them into a shoot out. I think Cooney is far more likely to fall into that trap than Murray.
Cooney commits the greatest sin a player can commit in modern rugby. He turns over a lot of ball to the opposition
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
wixfjord wrote: But mostly I think Cooney's performances are being overrated due to try scoring and him being a different type of 9. I'm not sure he'll be compatible with Sexton. The only way Scotland win this is if we draw them into a shoot out. I think Cooney is far more likely to fall into that trap than Murray.
Cooney commits the greatest sin a player can commit in modern rugby. He turns over a lot of ball to the opposition
So does Addison! I'd hope that the injury is the only thing stopping Larmour from starting at fullback. No issue with Addison being involved (would have him on the bench myself) but Larmour is much better IMO.

I'd be over the moon with that back row selection though, really didn't think POM would be left out. I rate him a lot higher than others do but we need more and we need to develop others. Our back row in 2019 reminds me of 2005 when we had decent players and good servants but none of them troubled the Lions squad until Easterby was called up because of injuries. I'm not convinced Deegan will hit the ground running (more confident about Doris for some reason) but would much prefer to try and get him up to speed and suspect he could be a good impact sub.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: So does Addison! I'd hope that the injury is the only thing stopping Larmour from starting at fullback. No issue with Addison being involved (would have him on the bench myself) but Larmour is much better IMO.
I think there are fears about the form and fitness of Keith Earls, otherwise I don't think that anyone would even consider moving Larmour from the 15 slot. So I guess the equation is working out whether Conway, Larmour, and Stockdale are a better option than Larmour, Addison, and Stockdale
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Dave Cahill wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: So does Addison! I'd hope that the injury is the only thing stopping Larmour from starting at fullback. No issue with Addison being involved (would have him on the bench myself) but Larmour is much better IMO.
I think there are fears about the form and fitness of Keith Earls, otherwise I don't think that anyone would even consider moving Larmour from the 15 slot. So I guess the equation is working out whether Conway, Larmour, and Stockdale are a better option than Larmour, Addison, and Stockdale
Conway is the clear favourite there for me, think I'd even have him ahead of Larmour if that was the choice, but I suppose it would be really encouraging if Catt/Farrell want another playmaker so want to give Addison a shot. I know I'm jumping ahead here and it's very much wishful thinking, but replace Addison with Joey in this scenario and I'd be delighted. Not that I'm giving up on Joey as a ten, but as I've said before I think he should cover both.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Is there not an injury doubt over Larmour?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

johng wrote:Is there not an injury doubt over Larmour?
Yup, don't think he trained last week.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Delighted for Doris. He strikes me as a guy who could really take to test rugby quickly.

Can't wait to see Kelleher get a run too.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Dave Cahill wrote:
locho wrote:
That has to be taken in context though - Ireland had finished the 5 nations bottom 7 of the 10 tournaments the previous decade, we were the worst team in the 5 Nations and were being beaten regularly by a pre 6 Nations Italy, and had just suffered a record stuffing by the English. There was nothing to lose. Conversely, three months ago Ireland were the number one ranked side in the world, 12 months previously beat the All Blacks and were favourites for the World Cup. Its easier to take risks when you have nothing left to lose.
In the last 6months we’ve suffered our biggest ever defeat to England and our biggest RWC knock out defeat as well as losing to Japan! Contextually the fact the team was ranked in top 1-3 in the world at the time of those defeats actually makes the case for change even greater than 20 years ago. Couple that with the fact that we’ve great structures in place where the incoming players are almost all already capped and have huge elite club level experience, means I can’t for one understand why we are so averse to change.
locho
Bookworm

Post by locho »

Blue not red blood wrote:Not wishing to cause offence but utterly ridiculous to have that bench.
No replacement 10
Do you honestly Think Sexton is going to last 80 minutes when his last game was mid December.
No I didn’t the bench was more of an out there selection trying to be sexy and cool
Like Rassie but seriously Cooney to cover 10 hoping for sexton to get to 65-70mins.