ELV's - ?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

sewa
Mullet

Re: ELV's - ?

Post by sewa »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Another article saying the IRFU arent going to adopt the ELVs. Does anyone know what the hell is going to happen next season :?: Everyone's saying the IRFU aren't adopting the new rules, th IRFU have said nothing that I've seen and now there's a couple of information meetings being organised. To say I'm getting confused about what rules we'll be playing with next year is a massive understatement!
Yes. We are all trialling 13 of the 24 changes (many of these are largely irrelevant). The other 11 are effectively dead and gone.
Ignoring Dan the Zulu for months now
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

sewa wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:Another article saying the IRFU arent going to adopt the ELVs. Does anyone know what the hell is going to happen next season :?: Everyone's saying the IRFU aren't adopting the new rules, th IRFU have said nothing that I've seen and now there's a couple of information meetings being organised. To say I'm getting confused about what rules we'll be playing with next year is a massive understatement!
Yes. We are all trialling 13 of the 24 changes (many of these are largely irrelevant). The other 11 are effectively dead and gone.
Thought those articles might've been too good to be true, hopefully the 13 being trialled will be as dead and gone as the others by this time next year, this season's gonna be great for a spectator and for the 3rd half down the club on a saturday night but as a player I'm dreading these new laws.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

The ELV's are going ahead in the Croatian league, except in Division's 2 and 3 (north and south) yaay! There was a court case launched by one prominent club coach but nothing came from it. So now it's just down to trying to learn the rules for the top flight but for we in the 2nd Division we can happily enjoy ELV-free play, however, there is an emergency meeting on the 19th of August to address the situation!
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

Munster are screwed now with the new ELVS
Mach10
Graduate

Post by Mach10 »

jaybyrne wrote:Munster are screwed now with the new ELVS
Besides encouraging the opposition to further scrutinise Hurley's fielding(which was going to happen anyway), I don't see where you're coming from.
Yeah with one foot in the grave,
And one foot on the pedal,
I was born a rebel
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

Mach10 wrote:
jaybyrne wrote:Munster are screwed now with the new ELVS
Besides encouraging the opposition to further scrutinise Hurley's fielding(which was going to happen anyway), I don't see where you're coming from.
Eh the 'famous' rolling maul? Gone. Most lineout options? Gone. 95% of your try scoring options? Gone.
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

I see we have a fan whose knowedge of the game hasn't reached 2007 yet. Leinster are the new rolling maul / lineout try team kid. We moved on. If you think I am wrong how many tries did Leinster score from open play in the HC last season?
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

sewa wrote:I see we have a fan whose knowedge of the game hasn't reached 2007 yet. Leinster are the new rolling maul / lineout try team kid. We moved on. If you think I am wrong how many tries did Leinster score from open play in the HC last season?
Yeah but that awful pick and go will be penalised for "bridging" this season, no more "32 phases"
jaybyrne
Bookworm

Post by jaybyrne »

yeah you actually have clean out and ruck instead of having big forwards fall over rucks
Bones
Mullet

Post by Bones »

the spoofer wrote:
sewa wrote:I see we have a fan whose knowedge of the game hasn't reached 2007 yet. Leinster are the new rolling maul / lineout try team kid. We moved on. If you think I am wrong how many tries did Leinster score from open play in the HC last season?
Yeah but that awful pick and go will be penalised for "bridging" this season, no more "32 phases"
You mean you won't be able to strangle the life out of a game with 20 minutes left on the clock, where's the spectacle in that?
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

Nope. Good teams will always find a way to strangle the life out of the game in the last 20.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sewa wrote:Nope. Good teams will always find a way to strangle the life out of the game in the last 20.
Nope. Failed rules and bad refereeing will allow the game to be strangled for the last 20.

That's why they change them.
sewa
Mullet

Post by sewa »

You wait and see 4 3 3. There will always be a way to use the rules to your advantage and the smartest sides will find them first. On the more specific point Munsters rucking was fantastic. As a forward you couldn't fail to be impressed by the accuracy and precision.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

sewa wrote:You wait and see 4 3 3. There will always be a way to use the rules to your advantage and the smartest sides will find them first. On the more specific point Munsters rucking was fantastic. As a forward you couldn't fail to be impressed by the accuracy and precision.
I don't disagree with you. And you have pinpointed what Munster have above and beyond all other characteristics in my opinion: they are smart. They are the smartest team in European rugby. They don't give a sucker an even break.

Which is why I welcomed Kidney for Ireland. If ever a setup needed an input of intelligence our international one is it.

That said, was it against Glasgow in the Magner's League that Munster decided to pick and go on their own line for the last 10 minutes in the wet? They got an unfortunate refereeing decision but lost the game. To my mind that was arrogance and stupidity akin to Leinster's throwing the ball around from their own line against Toulouse away last year.
hiberno
Learner

Post by hiberno »

Did anyone see last weekend's 3N game? From what I saw there was a certain amount of circumvention of the pick and go view, and a lot of waiting to see the ref move into position before making a move. I've been following the 3N this year fairly closely (all matches are life on Russia Sport channel - even in Ireland) and the standard of play really isn't that much better. If anything it's become more soccer like with more intervention from officials and posturing. But maybe it's only until everything is bedded in.
Mach10
Graduate

Post by Mach10 »

fourthirtythree wrote:That said, was it against Glasgow in the Magner's League that Munster decided to pick and go on their own line for the last 10 minutes in the wet? They got an unfortunate refereeing decision but lost the game. To my mind that was arrogance and stupidity akin to Leinster's throwing the ball around from their own line against Toulouse away last year.
That was away against Cardiff. It was a poor position in the field to try it but there weren't many options in the conditions. Wet and against the wind, you're handing the opposition possession not far beyond your 22 if you choose to kick for touch which Warwick showed wasn't all that easy to find when he missed touched when we won a, somewhat dubious, penalty on our own 5. Some arrogance perhaps but the only bit of stupidity shown was not getting rid of it when we were pushed back dangerously close to our own line. In the end, Warwick and Mafi(went for a chip from just inside our own 22 when we turned the ball over) both made mistakes but it was a couple of minutes away from being a well fought win. Remember Cont choosing to pass it behind the try line v ST at the RDS. Worked out.
Yeah with one foot in the grave,
And one foot on the pedal,
I was born a rebel
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

I finally decided to get off my bum and read the ELVs that are being implemented this season. I have to say that I’m not as miffed as I was initially.
Granted, I am still not happy with allowing players to drag down mauls – although at least you aren’t allowed to grab players below the waist when attempting this. I guess that’s a start.
The lineout law regarding the opposition hooker is good – it stops him lifting, i.e. giving the opposition an extra person in the lineout and also stops him interfering with the opposition throw.
Lifting – yeah whatever. This is merely setting in stone what has been done for years. I’d like to see how the numbers in the lineout works though. I’m not sure of that one.
Regarding the 5m offside line in the scrum, again I’m not sure. It won’t make a massive difference at lower levels due to the scrum laws at that level anyway.
The touch finding kicks will be interesting but at lower levels, this will mean extra counter attacking and also punts downfield for the wingers and 15 to chase. This happens a lot anyway because touch-finding can be a lottery at lower levels! :mrgreen:

Experimental Law Variations Summary
Law 6 - Match Officials
1 Assistant referees are able to assist the referee in any way that the referee requires.
Law 17 - Maul
2 Remove reference to head and shoulders not being lower than hips.
3 Players are able to defend a maul by pulling it down.
Law 19 - Touch and Lineout
4 If a team puts the ball back into its own 22 and the ball is subsequently kicked directly into touch, there is no gain in ground.
5 A quick throw in may be thrown in straight or towards the throwing team’s own goal line.
6 There is no restriction on the number of players from either team who can participate in the lineout.
7 The receiver at the lineout must be 2 metres away from the lineout.
8 The player who is in opposition to the player throwing in the ball must stand in the area between the 5-metre line and the touch line but must be 2 metres away from the 5-metre line.
9 Lineout players may pre-grip a jumper before the ball is thrown in.
10 The lifting of lineout players is permitted.
Law 20 - Scrum
11 Introduction of an offside line 5 metres behind the hindmost feet of the scrum.
12 Identification of scrum half offside lines.
Law 22 – Corner Posts
13 The corner posts are no longer considered to be touch-in-goal except when the ball is grounded against the post.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

Leinsterman, a couple of questions.
Are we also going to have the new rules on the new offside at the tackle are and all the resulting free kicks?
Also what about no5, the quick throw.....I've seen a S14 game where the winger threw the pass directly to the scrum half when it looked like the lineoutwas beginning to form.
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

TrapperChamonix wrote:Leinsterman, a couple of questions.
Are we also going to have the new rules on the new offside at the tackle are and all the resulting free kicks?
Also what about no5, the quick throw.....I've seen a S14 game where the winger threw the pass directly to the scrum half when it looked like the lineoutwas beginning to form.

No, the offside law is not being trialled here. I think it’s one of the most contentious laws and would expect it to be binned completely next year. It’s extremely hard to referee in an amateur context.
There will be no free-kick fests either. The remaining laws stay the same.

Regarding the lineout, this is an interesting one. I’ll probably be open to correction here by those 100% brushed up on the laws.
Under the new laws, the quick throw in can be taken and must simply travel 5m infield. It can travel as far back towards your own tryline as you want – i.e. it doesn’t have to be straight. However, if your player decides to take advantage of the quick throw-in, they can also pass it down the touchline to a team mate also standing in touch and he can take the throw in from there!
Looking at the instance you have mentioned here, I don’t think he should have been allowed to take the throw if the two lines were formed. IIRC, once the mark has been made for the lineout there must be a “contest” for the ball. Was the ball passed straight to him or did it travel back towards the team’s own tryline?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
LeopoldButters
Enlightened

Post by LeopoldButters »

does anybody know if pulling down the maul is be tried at J3 and J4 level?