Munster Thread 2011-2012

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Thread 2011-2012

Post by ceemec »

Munster lost their match against Wasps last night 15-0. Some encouraging displays from the youngsters but the same issues remain and, shock horror, Botha only lasted 28 minutes before appearing to tear his calf and being removed from the fray. Before he went off though, they had already been under pressure in the scrums and had conceded penalties there. That was with WDP and Botha on the field. Ulster must be laughing. Botha has panic signing written all over him.

On the plus side, Nagle and O'Mahony appeared to put in good shifts and look set to take advantage of absences during the international window. If they get adequate time they'll be pushing for spots in the HEC match day squad this season.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Botha was a class act, when he was fit. I'm not sure where panic comes into it, they desperately needed a TH. If he's going to miss a big chunk of the season Munster are in serious trouble. Has Hayes retired or what?
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Danthefan wrote:Botha was a class act, when he was fit. I'm not sure where panic comes into it, they desperately needed a TH. If he's going to miss a big chunk of the season Munster are in serious trouble. Has Hayes retired or what?
Hayes is not in the squad for this season. Without Botha, Munster could be in big trouble. A short-term signing would seem absolutely essential.

Also, despite what some other posters seem to think, they're simply not going to compete if the likes of Seán Scanlon, Scott Deasy, Paddy Butler etc. have to start big games. Don't get me wrong, these guys are good young squad players, but the standard in the HEC will be particularly high this year. The customary exodus from the Southern Hemisphere which follows every RWC will mean that even some of the lesser European teams will be littered with All Blacks, Springboks and Wallabies. Munster have been handed possibly their easiest draw in HEC history but, with their current squad, could struggle to escape that pool. Similarly, with the continuing improvement of teams like Ulster, their place in the Celtic League play-offs is far from guaranteed.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Danthefan wrote:Botha was a class act, when he was fit. I'm not sure where panic comes into it, they desperately needed a TH. If he's going to miss a big chunk of the season Munster are in serious trouble. Has Hayes retired or what?
Panic insofar as they, as you say, desperately needed a tighthead and threw money at a big name to get him to join them despite him having a very badly injury hit season behind him which saw him miss a glut of games and perform under par for games he did appear in. Botha has over 170 pro games at tighthead behind him and is in his thirties; his body must have significant wear and tear on it by now. GT reported that Botha is being paid significantly more than what Ulster are paying Afoa. They both have their attributes but Afoa is a very good prop and will play in the WC. He's also a big ball carrier which Munster are starting to lack up front. It seems to me that Munster just rushed out and gave a massive wedge to someone that had a profile and a reputation rather than looking at it more pragmatically. Surely if they searched they could find someone that can lock out a scrum (that's all they need, not a destructive scrum) for less money with better fitness prospects.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Anyone know if Borlase has improved at all? If he hasn't then I think Munster should be given dispensation to sign another project player. It does nobody any good for Munster's scrum to be a mess.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Anyone know if Borlase has improved at all? If he hasn't then I think Munster should be given dispensation to sign another project player. It does nobody any good for Munster's scrum to be a mess.
I certainly haven't seen much evidence of improvement in the games he's played. Let's just hope that he has been working hard during the pre-season.

Having regard to the considerations detailed above, I think Munster's hopes of being competitive this season are largely dependent upon their solidity in the set-piece. They'll need to play a simple game, with a good scrum and line-out, with ROG and Keatley kicking to the corners. The losses of Tuitupou and (more particularly) Warwick are huge blows to their back division.
"Hickie, scorching down the wing... God, I've missed saying that!" - Ryle Nugent
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The news of Toeava and Kahui signing with the NZRU won't have boosted the prospect of them signing a top centre. Fourie or bust now.

Tuitupou is no real loss to Munster. He did little of note whilst there and wasn't in their first choice XV by the close of season. They're better of without him. He used up a NIQ place and a chunk of cash.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

ceemec wrote:The news of Toeava and Kahui signing with the NZRU won't have boosted the prospect of them signing a top centre. Fourie or bust now.

Tuitupou is no real loss to Munster. He did little of note whilst there and wasn't in their first choice XV by the close of season. They're better of without him. He used up a NIQ place and a chunk of cash.
I know that a lot of Munster fans had Toeava in their sights. Fourie would be a magnificent signing, but he's good enough that he can name his price and if it comes down to big bucks I just can't see how Munster will compete with all the cashola in France.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Botha ruled out for a month. Tore the muscle in his calf.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

ceemec wrote:Botha ruled out for a month. Tore the muscle in his calf.
Could be a lot worse. At least he'll be back in plenty of time for the opening rounds of the HEC by the sounds of things. They can probably bluff their way through the first few weeks of the Pro12 - they start with the Dragons (H), Glasgow (A) and the Scarlets (H). Their first tough game will probably be against Cardiff (A) in week 4.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tackle-bag wrote:
Could be a lot worse. At least he'll be back in plenty of time for the opening rounds of the HEC by the sounds of things. They can probably bluff their way through the first few weeks of the Pro12 - they start with the Dragons (H), Glasgow (A) and the Scarlets (H). Their first tough game will probably be against Cardiff (A) in week 4.
Good opportunity to test a few of the newer/untried props down south, hopefully they'll grasp the opportunity for player development.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TerenureJim wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:
Good opportunity to test a few of the newer/untried props down south, hopefully they'll grasp the opportunity for player development.
Yeah right. John Hayes needs to keep fit in case he's called into action.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

TerenureJim wrote:
tackle-bag wrote:
From recollection, Stephen Archer has been solid enough in the scrum at TH whenever I've seen him play. Borlase has had the look of a white elephant to date, but he'll get a good chance to turn that around over the next two months. Don't know much about John Ryan, but hopefully he's a decent prospect. As I said, they should be able to get through those opening fixtures without any major difficulty. It's when the big boys return from the RWC that they'll really need Botha's services.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Genuine question, will Tol be first choice for Munster during the world cup? And if so is that just an IRFU edict? McGahan doesn't seem to be a fan.
Drico
Knowledgeable

Post by Drico »

It's really strange to have a choice between Stringer & TOL during RWC.
I can see TOL starting, along with John Hayes, Marcus Horan & Mick O'Driscoll
Oh, I'm crazy? Those f**kin' hobbit movies were boring as hell. All it was, was a bunch of people walking, three movies of people walking to a f**king volcano.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Genuine question, will Tol be first choice for Munster during the world cup? And if so is that just an IRFU edict? McGahan doesn't seem to be a fan.
I imagine he will be. It'll be in their interests to get him back playing well and boost his confidence.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Drico wrote:It's really strange to have a choice between Stringer & TOL during RWC.
I can see TOL starting, along with John Hayes, Marcus Horan & Mick O'Driscoll
All of those will be on the list for injury cover. I would say it would be insisted upon by the IRFU that they start all games to keep them match fit.

Likewise Fitz, McLaughlin, Jennings, and possibly a couple more from Horgan, Hagan, Ruddock, Toner.
tackle-bag
Rhys Ruddock

Post by tackle-bag »

Liam Messam excluded from the All Blacks' RWC squad. Get onto it Munster.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Messam is under contract for another 2 years after signing a deal earlier this year (which I'm sure he'll be fairly p*ssed about now). Munster are going to hold out for a centre still as their final NIQ player. McGahan has spoken about it already and stated that they're willing to wait until the end of the WC to make their signing. I can only assume he has a few people in mind and will be monitoring them and speaking with them during the tournament.
maccer
Bookworm

Post by maccer »

Wheels fallinng off the bandwagon, season ticket sales down 15%