Connacht Redevelop Sportsground

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

macboomba
Knowledgeable

Connacht Redevelop Sportsground

Post by macboomba »

Delighted to see that they are currently working to develop the Sportsground and improve the facilities. Good decision so they can take advantage of the bigger gates from the HEC and hopefully retain some of those fans.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/provincial/23403.php

No mention of capacity or cost yet but looks good.

Also will make the trip to Galway for the New Year's fixture more bearable.
"sh!t like this happens. We had to believe it" Jonathan Sexton on coming back from 16 points down at half time to win 2nd Heineken Cup
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Connacht Redevelop Sportsground

Post by Sea_point »

They announced a couple of months back that the ground capacity would be 7.5k for HEC games.

Basically they're building a new covered terrace on the Clubhouse side (opposite the main stand) which will be home for the new Supporters Cub members.
And there will be a covered stand on the main stand side between the stand and the Main gate.
In addition there will be temporary terracing behind both ends.
There is also ancillary work being undertaken behind the Covered Terrace which will see the construction of a new marquee bar, food outlets and restroom facilities all of which are welcome....
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
aisling7
Rhys Ruddock

Post by aisling7 »

Mazda lines out for Connacht Rugby

CONNACHT RUGBY has signed a lucrative deal with Mazda to become its main sponsor as it prepares to compete in the Heineken Cup for the first time.

Mazda replaces Bank of Ireland as title sponsor. The bank has been kicked into touch after 14 years as jersey sponsor.

It is understood Mazda offered significantly more than the State-funded bank to secure the sponsorship, with the added carrot of providing vehicles to Connacht for the duration of the deal.

Sources tell me Bank of Ireland’s deal was worth about €100,000 annually.

Aer Arann will continue to feature on the back of the Connacht jersey.

The Mazda deal is one part of a wider move by Connacht to bolster its finances and secure the future of a professional team for the province, which has traditionally been the bridesmaid of Irish rugby.

Bank of Ireland yesterday confirmed to me its deal with Connacht had ended.

Donal Flynn, regional manager west for Bank of Ireland, said the partnership had produced a number of “memorable moments” over the period and had delivered “real benefits” to both sides.

This doesn’t end Bank of Ireland’s association with provincial rugby here.

Earlier this year, the bank renewed its deal with Heineken Cup champions Leinster out to 2015.
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

Mazda's are more reliable than Toyota's
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

obviously you have never owned a mazda.
Great news for connacht, i personally would have hoed that the irfu would put money into a local rugby ground rather than a dog track. But this is good news for connacht
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

But how is the wind going to blow the rain up your nose with this new setup?
Temporary terraces...?
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I can't help but notice that there's a kid wearing a Dublin jersey in one of those images of the ground. Perhaps they plan on stealing fans from us??
Leezer
Enlightened

Post by Leezer »

munster#1 wrote:obviously you have never owned a mazda.
no i'm a leinster fan, i have a fine piece of german engineering.
“I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.” - Frank Sinatra

Stalk me on ye olde Tweet Machine!!!!!!!
porterbelly
Bookworm

Post by porterbelly »

New jersey now possibly with the new sponsor
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Leezer wrote:
Makes sense since there are no british cars anymore and your queen is a german :wink: :D
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Sauvignon Blank
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sauvignon Blank »

Good news all round for Connacht.

I'll be heading down for the Toulouse game :D
3 Gold Stars
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

It's interesting that Bank of Ireland's deal with Connacht was reported as being worth €100k p.a. while the BOI deal with Leinster reported back in April'07 was a €6m deal over 4 years [see press release below] which has recently been extended. It is no wonder that Connacht struggle to compete when they are receiving less than 7% of the money which Leinster are getting from their main shirt sponsors. And it puts their recent achievements in the Parker Pen / Amlin Cup & last seasons 9th place in the ML into perspective.

Bank of Ireland announced today (Tuesday, 3rd April 2007) that it has signed an agreement to become the new official sponsor to Leinster Rugby in a four-year deal.

The sponsorship commences in September 2007 at the start of next season when Leinster players will don the Bank of Ireland brand, now a familiar sight on Ireland’s sports grounds.

The sponsorship is valued at €6 million including both sponsorship fee and support spend. As official sponsors Bank of Ireland will receive exclusive branding opportunities with the team’s playing and training kit as well as in the new home grounds at the R.D.S.

The bank will also have access to players and the use of the Leinster logo along with tickets to season matches and corporate hospitality in the RDS.

Bank of Ireland also holds an option to renew for a further four-year term when the new contract expires in 2011.

Commenting on the announcement, Richie Boucher, Chief Executive, Retail Financial Services Ireland, Bank of Ireland, said: "Bank of Ireland has an impressive record of supporting Irish rugby and the opportunity to partner with a team as successful as Leinster is a perfect fit for both our organisations.

"This sponsorship deal is an example of Bank of Ireland’s core sponsorship strategy to support Irish sport, not just at national level but also at provincial and community levels.

"The Leinster team has succeeded in capturing the imagination of sports fans across the province”, Boucher continued, "and their popularity and that of the game is at an all-time high and destined to grow even further.

"This sponsorship will allow us to engage with a whole new sporting audience both nationally and internationally, many of which are our personal and business banking customers and also to support a super team at local, national and international levels.

"We look forward to a terrific association with one of the highest profile professional teams in Ireland and to many great rugby occasions over the next four years."

Speaking at the launch of the new sponsorship deal, Michael Dawson, Chief Executive of Leinster Rugby said: “On behalf of everyone associated with Leinster Rugby I am delighted to welcome Bank of Ireland as main sponsors of the Professional Team for the coming seasons.

"Bank of Ireland is one of the foremost financial institutions in Irish society and their commitment to the promotion of sport in this country is second to none.

"Leinster is committed to the pursuit of excellence both on and off the field of play and Bank of Ireland’s commitment is testament to the growing stature of the Leinster name, both at home and abroad.

"This contract is the most lucrative in the province’s history and we are excited by this new partnership and we look forward to forging strong links with Bank of Ireland and its huge network of customers over the coming years", he concluded
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
porterbelly
Bookworm

Post by porterbelly »

The Mazda deal is worth alot more than the BOI deal was for Connacht. It's hard to attract sponsorhip when we've not been in the main competiton up to now

Local businesses and business people is what we've tried to attract on board. However, one of our main sponsors Aer Aran are in a bit of trouble but they've committed for next year. The Carlton hotel are on board as well but they wouldn't be a big shot.

Alot of the wealthiest people in Galway and around the province who'd we'd have been looking to get on board were property developers and are now in big trouble. Pat McDonagh who owns Supermacs and is very wealthy but is already sponsoring Galway United and gives alot of money to Galway GAA so we can't really get him on board.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

porterbelly wrote:Pat McDonagh who owns Supermacs and is very wealthy but is already sponsoring Galway United
Money well spent I'm sure?

If he was interested, he'd have his logo spotted across South France, South London and over there in Glaws. He's better off milking it for as long as possible, at least until some lunatic bans fast food restaurants on sprting jerseys.
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

munster#1 wrote:
Leezer wrote:
Makes sense since there are no british cars anymore and your queen is a german :wink: :D
Glad to see you did your research :roll: :roll: :roll:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Sea_point »

Hornet wrote:
munster#1 wrote:
Leezer wrote: [/quote
Glad to see you did your research :roll: :roll: :roll:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/
Ahem, even though they have sold some of the family jewels one or two well know brands still left as well, ...

http://www.caterham.co.uk/assets/html/preowned.html

http://www.lotuscars.com/en/index

http://www.astonmartin.com/
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

suisse wrote: Money well spent I'm sure?

If he was interested, he'd have his logo spotted across South France, South London and over there in Glaws. He's better off milking it for as long as possible, at least until some lunatic bans fast food restaurants on sprting jerseys.

It wouldn't be well spent though. Why would he spend loads of money to advertise in countries where he has no fast food restaurants?
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

Rabodirect sponsor the complete league but only operate in one of the competing nations.
Get in the f%~king bag.
Hickiefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Hickiefan »

Sea_point wrote: Glad to see you did your research :roll: :roll: :roll:

Ahem, even though they have sold some of the family jewels one or two well know brands still left as well, ...

http://www.astonmartin.com/
Only got Aston Martin back when Ford sold it a few years back though :D
Qui me amat, amet et Leinsterum meum.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Slipper1 wrote:Rabodirect sponsor the complete league but only operate in one of the competing nations.
True, but at least Rabobank are a worldwide brand.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!