Sarries v Biarritz in SA???

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

claire_m
Shane Jennings

Sarries v Biarritz in SA???

Post by claire_m »

According to this morning's Telegraph, Saracens are in talks to hold their Jan HEC game with Biarittiz in Cape Town.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Speaking as someone whose club was sent to the other side of the world in a game last year (Quins played Wasps in Abu Dhabi in the Mickey Mouse tinpot cup last season), I think it's a terrible idea. It just shows what skant disregard some of the clubs have for their supporters. Instead of trying to build a fan base in England (Watford isn't a nice place to watch rugby, and the supporter nos bear testament to this), they're off somewhere else. I really hope the ERC oppose this. I think it's one thing to have a 'meaningless' game (both Quins and Wasps put out A sides last year) abroad, but to have a game potentially of this magnitude shouldn't be allowed.

Knowing what the ERC are like though, they'll endorse this and think it's a wonderful idea.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -Town.html
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Re: Sarries v Biarritz in SA???

Post by Broken Wing »

Ah that's brilliant. What with the World Cup in NZ in September/October I'm sure Sarries fans will have loads of spare cash floating around for a trip to SA.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I can't see this getting the go-ahead from the SA Rugby, I doubt they would want to have a competing tournament played in their jurisdiction but controlled by the ERC. Its akin to the proposal of London Welsh joining the ML/Pro12 a number of years ago, all be it as a once off. But it is a worrying sign if its being touted, and as with most things, money talks
On a side note, I was speaking to a friend of mine who owns a number of bars in Barcelona and I asked him if there would be more H Cup games staged in Barca - he seemed to think there would not be as there were problems with the Olympic Stadiums exclusive deal with Estrella Galicia & apparently the boys from Heineken were none too impressed.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

I imagine one of the conditions of them playing there is that they leave that "stand up for the saracens" in London.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Typical of Saracens, they want to be anywhere except at home. Another pointless stunt.

Wouldn't be too impressed if I was a Biarritz fan.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Donny B. wrote:Typical of Saracens, they want to be anywhere except at home. Another pointless stunt.

Wouldn't be too impressed if I was a Biarritz fan.
But Cape Town is home for most of the Saracens side.....

Middle of summer in CT in January also.
Four Stars
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Presumable they'd have to cover the costs for Biarritz as well, can't imagine they'll get a crowd big enough to make it worth their while. Doesn't look like SA rugby is too well supported as it is so not sure how this would work. Regardless of all the other reasons why its a shocking idea I just don't see how it'll even work financially. Its the kind of thing John Delaney would come up with.