Provincial colours

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Provincial colours

Post by Dave Cahill »

Did some research on this, and one story kept coming up, but it comes up only as oral history...

Leinster wore what were then the national colours, St Patricks Blue with a gold or silver harp
I have Bumbleflex
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I checked wikipaedia (i can do it too Hook!) but it's one of those articles that doesn't have references so it's irrelevant.

Anyway, going by that, the 'proper' shade of blue for Leinster is St Patrick's Blue?
ribs
Mullet

Post by ribs »

St. Patrick's blue is also UCD's colours (along with Saffron) - any connection?
...a beautiful weighted pass...it is 3 on 2...it is 3 on 1...Hickie!...Magnificent!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Twist wrote:
by RobbieRockBoy » October 3rd, 2011, 10:13 pm

Leinster played in red, and not so long ago.
Go on....
Versus Cardiff, in the first HEC semi final in Lansdowne Road. Red Shirts, blue shorts, blue socks

But wasn't this to allow Cardiff to wear their home strip for an away game, as sometimes seen today?

Looks like a Mickey Mouse jersey. I don't recall it at all
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ribs wrote:St. Patrick's blue is also UCD's colours (along with Saffron) - any connection?
Not really, UCD are relative newbies to Rugby in Leinster (1910)

St Patricks Blue itself is somewhat controversial, ranging in description from so dark a navy as to be almost black, to the lighter blue found on Dublin GAA shirts (and UCD rugby shirts) - the latter now often referred to as Dublin Blue. Both the Presidential Standard and quarter three of the UK Royal Standard use a blue also sometimes described as St Patricks Blue
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ribs wrote:St. Patrick's blue is also UCD's colours (along with Saffron) - any connection?
Not really, UCD are relative newbies to Rugby in Leinster (1910)

St Patricks Blue itself is somewhat controversial, ranging in description from so dark a navy as to be almost black, to the lighter blue found on Dublin GAA shirts (and UCD rugby shirts) - the latter now often referred to as Dublin Blue. Both the Presidential Standard and quarter three of the UK Royal Standard use a blue also sometimes described as St Patricks Blue
The Blue I remember was a bit more like ST. Mary's blue.
I was at that match and the main thing I recall apart from the fact that we lost, was the weather. It was an atrocious night.
I vaguely remember also, thinking that we let the game slip. The usual stuff, back then - Well in it until the 60 min and Cardiff's fitness winning out in the end.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

munster#1 wrote:don't believe everything that you read on the internet, posted by a spoofer

Muahahahahahaha :lol:
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Leinsterman wrote:
munster#1 wrote:don't believe everything that you read on the internet, posted by a spoofer

In fairness it was a good story, and a funny one. I just felt sorry for your fellow posters who took the bait.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CRAZYDAVE
Rhys Ruddock

Post by CRAZYDAVE »

munster#1 wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:

In fairness it was a good story, and a funny one. I just felt sorry for your fellow posters who took the bait.
:wink: The reason I heard is that it was the same colours that Munster/Cork men wore on Vinegar Hill in 1798 :wink:
T - 45