Schoolkids on supplements

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Schoolkids on supplements

Post by jezzer »

Schoolkids are about to be drug-tested over concerns that misuse of supplements is becoming a real problem. I have to say I agree that it's getting out of hand and I hope the same approach is taken worldwide so that Irish underage players aren't at a disadvantage .

From the IT, quite a sobering view of our tendency to fast-track players physically...

"The current chairman of the Irish Ant-Doping Committee, Professor Brendan Buckley, has in the past strongly condemned the use of supplements for young people across sports, but particularly in rugby. Buckley didn’t see the problem in isolation for juveniles but placed an onus on school teachers and parents to monitor what type of products are being taken.

“You can see tribunals about this in 20 years’ time. It is leading to a process in which schoolboys are being essentially turned into gladiators, not for their own good. Other people are getting their kicks out of this, which is deeply distasteful, but, above all, it is putting young people at risk.”

He continued: “Ultimately this is going to have to be parents and teachers and school boards setting the agenda that we put before them. If they decide that they’re happy to go with the gladiatorial misuse of their children, well that’s their business, but our job is to highlight it.”