Alan Gaffney off to The Waratahs

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Alan Gaffney off to The Waratahs

Post by Mauler »

LONG-suffering NSW Waratahs fans crying out for attacking rugby would have been pleased to hear Alan Gaffney had been appointed as the team's senior assistant coach.
Raised on running rugby at Sydney club Randwick, Gaffney played more than 200 games for the Galloping Greens and later coached the Ella brothers, David Campese and George Gregan.

A master of the rehearsed move, Gaffney has enjoyed success within and outside Australia, most notably in Ireland where he helped the Irish win the Six Nations grand slam and Leinster claim the Heineken Cup, both in 2009.

While Gaffney will bring an attacking mindset to the Waratahs, it will not necessarily be with the ball in hand, at least not for the sake of it.

Gaffney, who was Ireland's backs coach at the World Cup in New Zealand, has embraced the strategy of new Waratahs coach Michael Foley, which is based on attacking kicking.

...It might sound like a misnomer, but it works.

Influenced by the Queensland Reds' success in Super Rugby last season, the Waratahs will attempt to maintain momentum not by holding on to the ball for long periods, but to employ contestable kicking. "I didn't know Foles," said Gaffney, whose shock of grey hair gives him a grandfatherly appearance. "I had met Michael maybe once in my life. After I was offered the position I spoke to Michael and it was very clear we were on the same wavelength.

"There was this penchant last year for holding on to the ball for long periods and while you were controlling the ball, you were not controlling the game necessarily.

"To use Michael's words, and the words I have now adopted, we have to maintain the momentum of the game for longer periods.

"You can only do three things with a rugby ball. You can kick it, run with it or pass it. Just to think you've got the ball in hand all the time is not necessarily the answer.

"The Reds showed that with attacking kicking, which is kicking to get the ball back again and pressure the opposition.

"Look at the attacking kicking demonstrated by Australia against France last year where they scored four, it might have been five, tries from direct kicks.

"Foles wants the Waratahs to maintain the momentum. Whether that be with an attacking kick or a defensive kick or whatever we do with the ball we have to have that frame of mind."

Gaffney's first job in professional rugby was as Matt Williams' assistant coach at the Waratahs from 1997-1999 when the coaching staff was sacked.

Gaffney has since held a number of notable positions, including coach of Irish province Munster, director of rugby at English club Saracens and Wallabies backs coach under Eddie Jones.

"It might not have been great at the time, but it gave me a great opportunity," Gaffney said of his departure from the Waratahs.

"It turned out to be a blessing.

"It was a great adventure. A fantastic part of my life. But now to come home . . . I didn't know how I would handle it . . . but it has been great."

Gaffney had already decided to return to Australia after Ireland's World Cup campaign in New Zealand, which included an upset win against the Wallabies in the pool round.

"It was a pretty simple game plan," Gaffney said of Ireland's 15-6 win. "We never intended to go into that game and be expansive.

"Our defence was strong, our forwards were outstanding and our scrum was good."

Gaffney has had a lot of titles in his long coaching career -- head coach, backs coach, director of rugby, technical consultant and assistant coach -- although senior assistant coach is a new one even for him.

"Titles have never worried me," he said. "Being the boss or being second or being third. I'm not into titles.

"I just want to work with people I want to work with and fortunately that's what's happened here.

"The role that Foles has said I'll have is working with Scotty Bowen (assistant coach) with the backs. Scotty was playing when I last coached at the Waratahs. I've always had a lot of respect for Scotty's ideas and opinions."

They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but this Old Master is sure to have a few tricks up his sleeve to keep the fans entertained.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 6186210589
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Bosco
Mullet

Re: Alan Gaffney off to The Waratahs

Post by Bosco »

Praise be to allah!!
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Even as a Tahs fan, I would rather see him there than here. Phew!

Lovely guy though.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

And as a Force man I'm delighted to see him there!
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Whilst I think he was a seriously diminished force as a backs coach in the last couple of years, I think he gets far too much blame for the lack of incision in the Irish set up. As the article says, he's the master of the rehearsed move. How many of those did we get to see in the WC? It was a set plan to keep things tight. As he says himself, we never wanted to be expansive against Australia. Anyone who remembers his last season at Leinster against the likes of Brive and Llanelli knows that he was still able to coach a backline too come up with some beautiful moves and fantastic tries. With Ireland the tactic was to flood the midfield with heavy hitters and hammer into the opposition. He's on the wane but his involvement with Ireland was part of an overall game plan I think.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

Good God. That article is hilarious :lol:

Attacking kicking... rehearsed moves.... attacking rugby.... Christ.
The Waratahs will be even worse next season.
Puke rugby at its finest.
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Long-suffering Waratahs fans..... you ain't seen nothing yet.