John Hayes

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: John Hayes

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote:ronk you are a sad little man, wind your neck in and show some respect to one of irish rugby's greatest servants.

He was never a destructive t/h but he was solid for most of his career. As well as giving ireland a solid scrum, he offered more around the field and in the lineout that most t/h's to have played the game.

This is time to show respect where it is due, not drag a player down.
If you weren't illiterate you'd know that I said that Ross's recent form is better than Hayes's ever was, but that Hayes performed at his own level for a long time. I didn't disrespect him, but it wouldn't do him justice to ever call him a world class player.

Happy Christmas
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ronk wrote:
munster#1 wrote:ronk you are a sad little man, wind your neck in and show some respect to one of irish rugby's greatest servants.

He was never a destructive t/h but he was solid for most of his career. As well as giving ireland a solid scrum, he offered more around the field and in the lineout that most t/h's to have played the game.

This is time to show respect where it is due, not drag a player down.
If you weren't illiterate you'd know that I said that Ross's recent form is better than Hayes's ever was, but that Hayes performed at his own level for a long time. I didn't disrespect him, but it wouldn't do him justice to ever call him a world class player.

Happy Christmas
I am far from illiterate, i am fairly dyslexic though, either way it doesn't take a genius to figure out you are having a go.

Now is time for respect for a great career, not having a sly dig, as you usually do.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Take my word for it that you've failed to understand the words I wrote, or not.

But if you want to continue to disagree I think you should tax your brain to find where I actually had a go at Hayes.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ronk wrote:Take my word for it that you've failed to understand the words I wrote, or not.

But if you want to continue to disagree I think you should tax your brain to find where I actually had a go at Hayes.
My bad, i had the impression that saying a player is a legend for being the best of a bad bunch was a sly dig. Now that i look at it again, i can see that it is infact a great compliment.

Look buddy you can do your usual dance until you are proven wrong or you can wind your neck in, admit that you gave a sly dig, and save the BS for a later date
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

In fairness, not a lot wrong with what ronk is saying here. He was the best of a bad lot. No one doubts his commitment and honesty of effort </shudder>, but it is correct to say that his 'legend' status was built on a baron period for Tight head propping in this counrty.

For instance, should Paul Wallace have stayed injury free, one would have to concede that Hayes would not have won half the Ireland caps he did win...
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Christ, the way people harp on you would think John Hayes has an upcoming date with beatification.

I have lots of respect for his achievements, and without knowing him, he seems like a really decent guy. Like a lot of people, I got shivers down my spine when I saw the look on his face during the anthems in Croker that year.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Good luck to him. He did a good job for Munster & Ireland.

Interestingly he has the farm to go back to. I would worry for some of our players who retire, their lives have been exclusively rugby and they will have little to fall back on when they retire.
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

All i can say is he got a standing round of applsuse from packed pub in ballsbridge tonight
Ligind
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Blue not red blood wrote:All i can say is he got a standing round of applsuse from packed pub in ballsbridge tonight
Ligind
He did! I was there to witness it! :D
Blue not red blood
Mullet

Post by Blue not red blood »

We were in Mary Mcs, so that was 2 pubs then.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

And so tomorrow the Archer era starts. McAllister will be a fairly reasonable test but not exactly throwing in at the deep end, that'll come in the following weeks when he could be asked to play against Treviso, Castres and Northampton.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Here's some salt for you all.
Listening to an interview with the big man.
He was asked what was the highlight of his career?
His reply was Munster's first HEC win.
You'll all note not Ireland's 6Ns GS.

I pop that one out there, so we'll see what happens when the real legend of Irish rugby retires in the next year or so, and is asked the same question.
That's Brian O'Driscoll, just in case anybody is in any doubt about who I'm referring to!

Personally I think the highlight of Irish rugby is O'Driscoll's hat trick against France and surprisingly enough that great try against Australia for the lions.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote:Here's some salt for you all.
Listening to an interview with the big man.
He was asked what was the highlight of his career?
His reply was Munster's first HEC win.
You'll all note not Ireland's 6Ns GS.

I pop that one out there, so we'll see what happens when the real legend of Irish rugby retires in the next year or so, and is asked the same question.
That's Brian O'Driscoll, just in case anybody is in any doubt about who I'm referring to!

Personally I think the highlight of Irish rugby is O'Driscoll's hat trick against France and surprisingly enough that great try against Australia for the lions.
Which interview was that? I watched one when he was asked the very same question, he answer that the hc win, the grand slam and his first cap were the three highlights of his career.

Just curious if it's the same interview that was edited, as he didn't give too many of them?
ror
Graduate

Post by ror »

Well it could well be the Hcup win. He didnt attend the homecoming with the GS so it would be fair to say he may have picked the HCup win. Then again he never courted the media or any attention so it does not matter. He has got some CV thought..
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

ror wrote:Well it could well be the Hcup win. He didnt attend the homecoming with the GS so it would be fair to say he may have picked the HCup win. Then again he never courted the media or any attention so it does not matter. He has got some CV thought..
You do know his reason for not attending the gs homecoming? Very good reason imo. Great to see a player put his family before the glory.
Doesn't mean he puts the hc win ahead of it.
He did mention three highlights not one, that was just OS wuming