Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Should Munster have a star on their crest?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 27

StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

jezzer wrote:
StuF wrote:
jezzer wrote: Surely with all the tradition and heritage surrounding Munster rugby that gets rammed down our throats by media and Munstermen alike, they could have found somehting with a bit more relevance to base the new crest on.

A chip, maybe?
A chip stomping on a silver fern with a sleeping harp in the corner ;)

Just seen this now, DOH!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad you finally noticed - one of my finest LF.com moments almost disappeared into the "last post on the page oblivion" ;)
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ckav wrote:Where did that ashtray come from? :shock:

Dave, you're a bright guy, you should be able to deduce from my post and from CJ's post that we both feel that 1. Jose's query about amending his team's jersey is at best, irrelevant to most people's daily lives, on thiswebsite at least, and 2. there has been way too much emphasis on this website and on others with regard to Munster's last season's victorious HEC campaign.

It's worth remembering that when all's said and done, there are more important things in life.
To be honest, if a munster supporter wants to raise the matter of whether the munster players prefer coco-pops or crunchy nut cornflakes, as long as its done in this section he is more than welcome to do so to my mind. We don't want to go down the route that certain other sites have gone where supporters from all other teams are made feel unwelcome.

As to the star thing, I suggested it on the Irishrugby mb many years ago wrt to Ulster
Goodness me, I'd certainly hope you aren't implying that CJ and I are making other supporters feel unwelcome.

Pot and Kettle, Mr Cahill, if that is the case.
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

ckav wrote:Um, at the risk of ridicule - what does the Sleeping Harp symbolise? :oops:
The sleeping harp symbolises those of us who may be a leetle bored with Munster mythology.

Good job you were never a contestant on Catchphrase... ;)

"Just say what you see"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ckav wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
ckav wrote:Where did that ashtray come from? :shock:

Dave, you're a bright guy, you should be able to deduce from my post and from CJ's post that we both feel that 1. Jose's query about amending his team's jersey is at best, irrelevant to most people's daily lives, on thiswebsite at least, and 2. there has been way too much emphasis on this website and on others with regard to Munster's last season's victorious HEC campaign.

It's worth remembering that when all's said and done, there are more important things in life.
To be honest, if a munster supporter wants to raise the matter of whether the munster players prefer coco-pops or crunchy nut cornflakes, as long as its done in this section he is more than welcome to do so to my mind. We don't want to go down the route that certain other sites have gone where supporters from all other teams are made feel unwelcome.

As to the star thing, I suggested it on the Irishrugby mb many years ago wrt to Ulster
Goodness me, I'd certainly hope you aren't implying that CJ and I are making other supporters feel unwelcome.

Pot and Kettle, Mr Cahill, if that is the case.
Where did I say that?
I have Bumbleflex
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

StuF wrote:
ckav wrote:Um, at the risk of ridicule - what does the Sleeping Harp symbolise? :oops:
The sleeping harp symbolises those of us who may be a leetle bored with Munster mythology.

Good job you were never a contestant on Catchphrase... ;)

"Just say what you see"

:lol:
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Re: Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Post by limecat »

JoseFantastique wrote:Should Munster include a star in their crest to mark their year as HEC champions? It would show everyone that Irish rugby has outgrown the lack of confidence that has dogged our teams, on all levels, for years.
Jose,

I think that this is a great idea, but that it should only be done if it is a general thing that ALL previous winners of the competition do, but only when playing in the HEC. I think that for Munster to "go it alone" and do this could be percieved as being triumphalist.

The fact that the same is used in soccer, both in European and I noticed in the world cup, means that it is something that is instantly recognisable worldwide. If an armchair rugby supporter is channel hopping and sees the star on a teams jersey, I think that they would be more likely to put the remote down and keep watching, which can only be good for rugby in the longer term.

I know that, for me, I would be proud if Leinster were able to display a star on their jerseys.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Jaysus, the average armchair supporter would need to have x-ray vision to be able to see the star on a jersey :lol: :wink:

I just don't believe that a tiny emblem on a jersey would have a significant impact on anybody. Sure aren't the jerseys always covered in muck anyway, given that the game is a winter (ish) sport?

Up to yourselves, Jose. Nothing to do with me, anyway....
cj
Graduate

Re: Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Post by cj »

limecat wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:Should Munster include a star in their crest to mark their year as HEC champions? It would show everyone that Irish rugby has outgrown the lack of confidence that has dogged our teams, on all levels, for years.
Jose,

I think that this is a great idea, but that it should only be done if it is a general thing that ALL previous winners of the competition do, but only when playing in the HEC. I think that for Munster to "go it alone" and do this could be percieved as being triumphalist.

The fact that the same is used in soccer, both in European and I noticed in the world cup, means that it is something that is instantly recognisable worldwide. If an armchair rugby supporter is channel hopping and sees the star on a teams jersey, I think that they would be more likely to put the remote down and keep watching, which can only be good for rugby in the longer term.

I know that, for me, I would be proud if Leinster were able to display a star on their jerseys.
That's what I was getting at with the point about curing cancer - winning a HEC should not be enough to change your crest. Surely you should be aiming to aggressively defend your title...what would people be asking for if you won it again this year? Two stars? It's excessive.

I doubt every team that has won the HEC would change their crest because of it, so that idea is a bit of a non-starter. And if Leinster win the tournament this season, I certainly won't want our crest to change.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Can't find it now, but troll back through the archives to the photos of the Toulouse fans waving giant flags and you'll see the stars over their crest for each HEC win. They're about a foot across, so shouldn't be too hard to spot!

I'm not sure who else does it. Leicester don't, Ulster don't and Bath don't. not sure about Saints, Brive and whoever else... (oh yeah Wasps)
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

JoseFantastique wrote:
ckav wrote:It's up to yourselves - not really our business.

I'm not sure a star on the top of a crest is going to do a great deal for anybody in Irish rugby.

That's a bit like asking us if our lads should wear their collars up to honour their forebears :lol: ........

:?
It's just a symbol, too often Irish teams are still described in terms of passion etc, which, imo does a great disservice their actual ability as players. We should remind other teams that when they play an Irish team, they are playing one of the best teams in the comp (whatever comp)
Jose, the only Irish team I've heard described in those terms, is Munster, and it's something that all Munster fans I've met, and players I've heard interviewed, seem to be very proud of.

I agree on your second point, but also think that a tiny amendment to an emblem on a jersey is not going to strike the fear of God into any opposing team.
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

i think it's the perfect way to celebrate winning the HC, but they should only use it for the HC match jerseys. At the end of the day if ulster want to put a star on their crest they have every right to becasue they actually won the thing
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ckav wrote:
a tiny amendment to an emblem on a jersey is not going to strike the fear of God into any opposing team.
If we incorporated a picture of Big Deep Blue doing his"Private Dancer" into our crest I bet it would!!! :lol:
I have Bumbleflex
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

ckav wrote:
JoseFantastique wrote:
ckav wrote:It's up to yourselves - not really our business.

I'm not sure a star on the top of a crest is going to do a great deal for anybody in Irish rugby.

That's a bit like asking us if our lads should wear their collars up to honour their forebears :lol: ........

:?
It's just a symbol, too often Irish teams are still described in terms of passion etc, which, imo does a great disservice their actual ability as players. We should remind other teams that when they play an Irish team, they are playing one of the best teams in the comp (whatever comp)
Jose, the only Irish team I've heard described in those terms, is Munster, and it's something that all Munster fans I've met, and players I've heard interviewed, seem to be very proud of.

I agree on your second point, but also think that a tiny amendment to an emblem on a jersey is not going to strike the fear of God into any opposing team.
You've never heard the English or SH refer to Irish national teams in the same way? :shock: It's a regular feature of their analysis of our national team.
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

Well, in days gone by, yes. Another favourite was the "plucky Irish".

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not recently, since we've begun beating the English and being spanked by the Southern Hemisphere-ites though!
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

ckav wrote:Well, in days gone by, yes. Another favourite was the "plucky Irish".

Not recently, since we've begun beating the English and being spanked by the Southern Hemisphere-ites though!
On that theme, the 'English Saxons' coach (Callard?) before they played Ireland, remarked that when teams play Ireland, they 'always get the same thing: organised chaos'.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Was so happy when we beat them after that.
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

cj wrote:
ckav wrote:Well, in days gone by, yes. Another favourite was the "plucky Irish".

On that theme, the 'English Saxons' coach (Callard?) before they played Ireland, remarked that when teams play Ireland, they 'always get the same thing: organised chaos'.

To think that that wanger was once offered the Leinster job with no real credentials - oh the bad old days
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

cj wrote:

Did we not beat Australia and South Africa in the past couple of seasons? And we were hardly spanked by NZ in the First Test this summe :?:
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
cj
Graduate

Post by cj »

Mauler wrote:
cj wrote:

Did we not beat Australia and South Africa in the past couple of seasons? And we were hardly spanked by NZ in the First Test this summe :?:
I know, 'twas a rediculous comment! The Irish Sky Sports pundits jumped on it...it was included in every interview with Irish players/coaches after that.
Skyhawk
Mullet

Post by Skyhawk »

Should Munster have a star on their crest? NO

What a crazy suggestion :roll:
CulchieAbroad
Knowledgeable

Post by CulchieAbroad »

Going against the general feeling of the posts (but with the silent majority of the poll), I think Munster should have a star on their jersey, as should Ulster. Why not? It's a subtle way to mark a great event for them. WHEN we win our (first and subsequent) HECs I'd like us to do the same thing jersey space permitting....