Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Should Munster have a star on their crest?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 27

JoseFantastique
Mullet

Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Post by JoseFantastique »

Should Munster include a star in their crest to mark their year as HEC champions? It would show everyone that Irish rugby has outgrown the lack of confidence that has dogged our teams, on all levels, for years.
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Yup better than that grey piece of nonsense that CCC are calling a commemorative kit
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
ckav
Seán Cronin

Post by ckav »

It's up to yourselves - not really our business.

I'm not sure a star on the top of a crest is going to do a great deal for anybody in Irish rugby.

That's a bit like asking us if our lads should wear their collars up to honour their forebears :lol: ........

:?
epaddy
Shane Horgan

Re: Should Munster include a star in their crest?

Post by epaddy »

JoseFantastique wrote:Should Munster include a star in their crest to mark their year as HEC champions? It would show everyone that Irish rugby has outgrown the lack of confidence that has dogged our teams, on all levels, for years.
Yeh for sure, I think its looks class. Maybe lose the focking stag though
*** image removed by mod ***

Epaddy, Freedom Fighter
JoseFantastique
Mullet

Post by JoseFantastique »

ckav wrote:It's up to yourselves - not really our business.

I'm not sure a star on the top of a crest is going to do a great deal for anybody in Irish rugby.

That's a bit like asking us if our lads should wear their collars up to honour their forebears :lol: ........

:?
It's just a symbol, too often Irish teams are still described in terms of passion etc, which, imo does a great disservice their actual ability as players. We should remind other teams that when they play an Irish team, they are playing one of the best teams in the comp (whatever comp)
It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Defo.

I'd want one if we won. It's a badge of memberhsip to a club. Ditto on the feckin stag!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yes, absolutely. A permanent reminder of a great triumph, and one that is instantly recogniseable to fans across all codes. I'm not a fan of the current commerative shirt for one reason only, while its fine for this season, next year (as shirts are on a two year cycle) it becomes a matter of so what as there will be new HEC champions (unless of course munster retain the trophy), thus dating the shirt. The star has no such problem.
I have Bumbleflex
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dave Cahill wrote:Yes, absolutely. A permanent reminder of a great triumph, and one that is instantly recogniseable to fans across all codes. I'm not a fan of the current commerative shirt for one reason only, while its fine for this season, next year (as shirts are on a two year cycle) it becomes a matter of so what as there will be new HEC champions (unless of course munster retain the trophy), thus dating the shirt. The star has no such problem.
Spot on. Star is classier too. Says everything you need to know.
sexy_rexy
Rhys Ruddock

Post by sexy_rexy »

The England Football team have a single star too, it doens't make them a 'classy' team or even a team of world beaters.

Leave the stars for soccer teams.

But then again what do I know about fashion or rugby, I'm a Leinster fan.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

sexy_rexy wrote:The England Football team have a single star too, it doens't make them a 'classy' team or even a team of world beaters.

Leave the stars for soccer teams.

But then again what do I know about fashion or rugby, I'm a Leinster fan.
Because it's sad. It's 40 years old. I don't think that Munster will still be going on about winning a match in 40 years. Right???? :D
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Hmm, not sure. It's a bit flash and if there's one thing we are not, it's flash!
We're all red on the inside.
Duff Paddy
Shane Jennings

Post by Duff Paddy »

Star is a good idea but the priority should be to lose the stupid looking stag.
Leinsterman
Rob Kearney

Post by Leinsterman »

ckav wrote:That's a bit like asking us if our lads should wear their collars up to honour their forebears :lol: ........

Personally, I blame Tony Ward! :x
...to the sound of a Sivivatu slap!
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

shouldn't do it proactively as you would look a bit silly when coming up against multiple winners like Toulouse and Wasps never mind previous winners such as the gringos.

Should be something that would come from ERC and used in the competition itself.

Maybe for the ML we could have a pint bottle for every league title won ;)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

StuF wrote:shouldn't do it proactively as you would look a bit silly when coming up against multiple winners like Toulouse and Wasps never mind previous winners such as the gringos.

Should be something that would come from ERC and used in the competition itself.

Toulouse do it and did have a crest with one star when they won their first.
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

jezzer wrote:
StuF wrote:shouldn't do it proactively as you would look a bit silly when coming up against multiple winners like Toulouse and Wasps never mind previous winners such as the gringos.

Toulouse do it and did have a crest with one star when they won their first.
You're right there Jezzer - didn't realise that.

Still think it should apply to all if one is going to do it. On the domestic front then the gringos should have it if munster do.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Duff Paddy wrote:Star is a good idea but the priority should be to lose the stupid looking stag.
Afraid I'm totally in favour of the stag as well Duff. All four provinces have lost untold thousands in revenue due to knocked off jerseys carrying the old crests, as they were in the public domain. Money that is sorely needed in the game. The rebranding allowed the provinces to differentiate clearly official merchandise from the knockoffs and also to pursue anyone producing counterfeits.
I have Bumbleflex
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Star is a good idea but the priority should be to lose the stupid looking stag.
Afraid I'm totally in favour of the stag as well Duff. All four provinces have lost untold thousands in revenue due to knocked off jerseys carrying the old crests, as they were in the public domain. Money that is sorely needed in the game. The rebranding allowed the provinces to differentiate clearly official merchandise from the knockoffs and also to pursue anyone producing counterfeits.
Too right but you don't need a stag to copyright a design

Talking of design copyright infringment, has the Marlboro man been onto you yet? ;)
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Dave Cahill wrote:
Surely with all the tradition and heritage surrounding Munster rugby that gets rammed down our throats by media and Munstermen alike, they could have found somehting with a bit more relevance to base the new crest on.

A chip, maybe?
StuF
Mullet

Post by StuF »

jezzer wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
Surely with all the tradition and heritage surrounding Munster rugby that gets rammed down our throats by media and Munstermen alike, they could have found somehting with a bit more relevance to base the new crest on.

A chip, maybe?
A chip stomping on a silver fern with a sleeping harp in the corner ;)