Why is #10 called 5/8 (five eigth?) in Southern Hemisphere?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Why is #10 called 5/8 (five eigth?) in Southern Hemisphere?

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Anyone know?
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Why is #10 called 5/8 (five eigth?) in Southern Hemisphe

Post by hugonaut »

They call the scrum-half the halfback, and the No10 stands further behind him – 5/8 of the way back from the front line of the team. Old-fashioned nomenclature.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

MelbourneRebel wrote:Anyone know?

Scrum half is known as a half back in NZ, outside centre and wingers are the three quarters - the inside centre and out half are in between, so five eights.

Half Back
1st 5/8
2nd 5/8
Centre 3/4
Wing 3/4 x2
Full Bakc
I have Bumbleflex
MelbourneRebel
Knowledgeable

Post by MelbourneRebel »

Thanks
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Dave Cahill wrote:

Scrum half is known as a half back in NZ, outside centre and wingers are the three quarters - the inside centre and out half are in between, so five eights.

Half Back
1st 5/8
2nd 5/8
Centre 3/4
Wing 3/4 x2
Full Bakc
I always thought it was the number of positional "rows" on a team:
1. Front Row
2. Second Row
3. Back Row
4. Scrum Half
5. Out Half
6. Centers
7. Wings
8. Fullback

Obviously I mentally blocked out the fact that wingers were referred to as 3/4 rather than 7/8ths!!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

It's been answered but this naming style is only limited to NZ and Tonga. Rest of the hemisphere uses conventional nomenclature.

As an aside, 'outhalf' is a purely Irish thing, yeah? Do they use it in Ulster too, or do they stick with the conventional 'flyhalf'?
darkside lighteside
Graduate

Post by darkside lighteside »

blues_fan wrote:
It's been answered but this naming style is only limited to NZ and Tonga. Rest of the hemisphere uses conventional nomenclature.

As an aside, 'outhalf' is a purely Irish thing, yeah? Do they use it in Ulster too, or do they stick with the conventional 'flyhalf'?
outhalf in Ulster too..
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

and I'm none the wiser and I've had this explained to me by Kiwis a few times. Is it 5/8 of the distance or what? It's not the number. Really my question is 5/8ths of what ? What makes up the 8?
"Look what Leinster have done again"
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

icebaby wrote:and I'm none the wiser and I've had this explained to me by Kiwis a few times. Is it 5/8 of the distance or what? It's not the number. Really my question is 5/8ths of what ? What makes up the 8?
Eigths are the lowest common denominator that would allow one to split halves and quarters.
I have Bumbleflex
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

blues_fan wrote:

has Ulster left us :shock: :shock: we haven't even played NZ yet.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

People might find this and this interesting
I have Bumbleflex
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

blues_fan wrote:
Australia often uses the term stand-off as well, as that's what the position is called in rugby league.
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

It's a grouping thing really. we group the centres together as a pairing and the halfbacks as a pairing.

The Kiwis have A halfback (our scrum half) and A centre (our 2nd centre) and consider the 5/8ths a pairing.

It's not a difficult concept really. what else can go in between halfback and the 3/4 line except 5/8ths?

I suppose they could have called them the 9/16ths and the 11/16ths? Now that would have been kinky.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

Dave Cahill wrote:
icebaby wrote:and I'm none the wiser and I've had this explained to me by Kiwis a few times. Is it 5/8 of the distance or what? It's not the number. Really my question is 5/8ths of what ? What makes up the 8?
Eigths are the lowest common denominator that would allow one to split halves and quarters.

Suppose I never understood why they were called quarters in the first place (oops hadto admit that......) and still don't know.... I'm very mathematical.... if there are 15 on a team.....
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

icebaby wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:

Suppose I never understood why they were called quarters in the first place (oops hadto admit that......) and still don't know.... I'm very mathematical.... if there are 15 on a team.....
OK. You've got FORWRDS.

You've got a FULL BACK.

The players in between are backs of some degree.

Just behind the FORWARDS the player(s) are called HALF BACKS.

So.... Between the HALF BACKS and the FULL BACK (ie between 0.5 and 1) you have a THREEQUARTER line. In this hemisphere these players are the 2 centres and the 2 wings. (Let's not complicate things with New Zealand ideas until you get the concept)
blues_fan
Knowledgeable

Post by blues_fan »

totalrandomer wrote:It's a grouping thing really. we group the centres together as a pairing and the halfbacks as a pairing.

The Kiwis have A halfback (our scrum half) and A centre (our 2nd centre) and consider the 5/8ths a pairing.

It's not a difficult concept really. what else can go in between halfback and the 3/4 line except 5/8ths?

I suppose they could have called them the 9/16ths and the 11/16ths? Now that would have been kinky.
2/3rd's? :mrgreen:

But then it sounds a bit strange: "...into the hands of the first second third who passes it to the second second third....' :mullet 1:
West Brit wrote:
Australia often uses the term stand-off as well, as that's what the position is called in rugby league.
Stand off is more an English thing, in Australia they call it five-eighth universally. But you are right, in Union they are a bit erratic, but anything official will call the position flyhalf.
West Brit
Mullet

Post by West Brit »

blues_fan wrote:But you are right, in Union they are a bit erratic, but anything official will call the position flyhalf.
Very erratic. When I played there I had a coach that once called the position five different names in the same pre-match address (fly half, out half, stand off, five eighth, pivot).
Caveats apply as it is entirely possible that the information contained in the above post is either an attempt at a wind-up, an attempt at a joke or just plain wrong.
icebaby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by icebaby »

[quotOK. You've got FORWRDS.

You've got a FULL BACK.

The players in between are backs of some degree.

Just behind the FORWARDS the player(s) are called HALF BACKS.

So.... Between the HALF BACKS and the FULL BACK (ie between 0.5 and 1) you have a THREEQUARTER line. In this hemisphere these players are the 2 centres and the 2 wings. (Let's not complicate things with New Zealand ideas until you get the concept)[/quote]

Now you're talking - I understand this - at last thank you
sid
Mullet

Post by sid »

Wow, all very interesting. Never even heard that name for an OH before.

So where did the term "flyhalf" come from?
johng wrote:Classic bit of Sidness there.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

I just call 9 to 15 'The Girls', I was unaware that there were different positions.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty