Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by [Jackass] »

Murray has definitely replaced Quinlan as the filth bag in that team. He was doing that all night.

In actual fact, it was Murray who took out zebo, who then fell on the back of the Saracens lad.

on a side point, that scantly deserved losing bonus point due to Saracens inability to capatalise on dominance may well be the point that puts the final nail in Leinsters coffin. Second seeds in this group (laughbly) Edinburgh will be a 5 pointer, so Munster beat Racing and they will have 20 points, so it could come down to tries between Leinster and Munster for second runner up spot, with Montpellier probably getting best runner up, assuming second from Leicester / Toulouse / Ospreys doesn't hit 20 points, we could be in a straight shoot out with Munster now! :)

We need to put 50+ on Scarlets.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Racing may not be rated, but they have 12 points and Saracens might struggle to beat them in Paris.
Munster got a very valuable bonus point even if, like us, it was undeserved. a 5 pointer in Edinburgh could be priceless.
The Liginds live on! :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

[Jackass] wrote:Murray has definitely replaced Quinlan as the filth bag in that team. He was doing that all night.

In actual fact, it was Murray who took out zebo, who then fell on the back of the Saracens lad.
Thats not filth bag play, thats clever play if you get away with it. Every single team, including Leinster, do that every time a ball goes in the air.
I have Bumbleflex
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Ah well I'm not basing that comment on one incident, I'm basing it on the kind of player he is. Every team has a filth bag, I was just saying he's replaced Quinlan as theirs.

He had his usual stellar performance with his passing also. :roll: Unquestionably the best 9 in the country.
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Murray does that blocking thing in every game he plays. I've nothing against it as long as he doesn't make it too obvious, can't believe refs haven't copped onto it though. If I was an opposing captain I'd be in the ref's ear about it.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

I don't mind the niggle, it's the constant whingeing and harassing the TJ's for every little decision
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster have put themselves in a good position to get out of the group, hopefully with earls, jones, cj, dougal, poc, killer back we can pick up 9 points from the remaining 2 games, which should see us safe.

Tbh getting out of our group would be a great acheivement considering the squad we have, and the complete change of playing style.
It's impressive that munster are still in the running considering that we have played so many young and inexperienced players, with a very impressive number of players getting their 1st hec games/starts.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

munster#1 wrote:Munster have put themselves in a good position to get out of the group, hopefully with earls, jones, cj, dougal, poc, killer back we can pick up 9 points from the remaining 2 games, which should see us safe.

Tbh getting out of our group would be a great acheivement considering the squad we have, and the complete change of playing style.
It's impressive that munster are still in the running considering that we have played so many young and inexperienced players, with a very impressive number of players getting their 1st hec games/starts.
There's being positive and there's being delusional. Leinster can only get 20 points at the most, and I'd be surprised if that's enough for either team, especially with neither having a particularly high try count. Reckon you'll need 21.

As for the change of playing style, you seemed to revert to the old style yesterday. 21 phases of one out running and a net loss of yards.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Donny B. wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Munster have put themselves in a good position to get out of the group, hopefully with earls, jones, cj, dougal, poc, killer back we can pick up 9 points from the remaining 2 games, which should see us safe.

There's being positive and there's being delusional. Leinster can only get 20 points at the most, and I'd be surprised if that's enough for either team, especially with neither having a particularly high try count. Reckon you'll need 21.

As for the change of playing style, you seemed to revert to the old style yesterday. 21 phases of one out running and a net loss of yards.
no not delusional, 20 should see us through imo. Who else will get more? The main problem for leinster is the quality of the opposition, i can see them getting 19 points, but doubt that they will get a bonus against exeter.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

munster#1 wrote:
Donny B. wrote: There's being positive and there's being delusional. Leinster can only get 20 points at the most, and I'd be surprised if that's enough for either team, especially with neither having a particularly high try count. Reckon you'll need 21.

no not delusional, 20 should see us through imo. Who else will get more? The main problem for leinster is the quality of the opposition, i can see them getting 19 points, but doubt that they will get a bonus against exeter.
I actually think Munster think will win the group. Saracens are rubbish enough to lose away against an equally rubbish Racing team.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
Barack Obama
Learner

Post by Barack Obama »

[Jackass] wrote:Murray has definitely replaced Quinlan as the filth bag in that team. He was doing that all night.
Niggly definitely. Filth bag? I really don't think so. Filth bag?? :lol: Please!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Barack Obama wrote:
Niggly definitely. Filth bag? I really don't think so. Filth bag?? :lol: Please!
I think.murray is fast becoming the new rog for leinster fans. With rog and doc not starting anymore for ireland, someone was bound to pick up the hate.

On a side note, i have been impressed by murray over the last few games. Since the racing game his passing has improved massively along with his decision making. He is fast becoming a very well rounded sh, not the finished artical, but not many sh's are in their 2nd pro season.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

I've no problem with Murray aside from my usual complaint that he isnt good enough for Ireland at the moment. No problem with him getting involved in a bit of niggle (was always a huge fan of Quinlan for that very reason) but #1, I reckin your looking at his performance through fairly rosie glasses. Murray had quite a few errors in the first 15-20 mins against Sarries, all of them avoidable. I still dont see what he brings aside from an additional back row.

Im certainly not saying that Reddan or Boss are any better at the moment, so if you look at Murray in isolation, you wouldnt have him (or any of the Irish scrum halves) anywhere near the Lions tour. He'd be a long long way behind Philips, Care and Young
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Murray played his best game for Ireland recently against Argentina. More performances like that and you'll see very few complaints about him on here. Can't say I was impressed with his performances in either of the Sarries games though. Seems to have regressed to running up a lot of blind alleys but in fairness playing with ROG miles behind him probably isn't helping either.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

France last year was good too. You're right though, he wasn't much good against Saracens.

I thought people here hated Kidney for picking Murray no matter how much he killed the game or was out of his depth as if his potential in two years justified the poor present during the WC. Part of Murrays job is getting on people's nerves on the pitch so no problem there. Any more than people had with,say, Stringer.

Second season? Really? You mean he went to the WC as an amateur? Explains why he looked out of his depth against the USA I suppose.
deco
Rhys Ruddock

Post by deco »

Most scrum halves are annoying fockers.

Murray is no different.
Calendar of Leinster/Ireland fixtures: https://calendar.google.com/calendar?ci ... Z2xlLmNvbQ
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I'm a Murray fan, and have been since seeing him for Munster A vs Leinster A in September 2010 in Donnybrook. I don't agree that he's a 'filth-bag' at all – he's competitive, and certainly a little niggly, but I'll save my 'filth-bag' descriptions for eye-gougers, cheap-shotters and head-kickers.

The guy has a lot of talent and is going to be an Irish international for a long time. That doesn't mean that he should just start every game for the next decade, because like every player [bar those like McCaw and O'Driscoll, whose poor days are still typically better than the average days of their competitors] he has swings in form. Beyond the current competitors like Reddan, Boss and Marshall, there are also some very exciting youngsters coming through the provincial ranks in Marmion and Luke McGrath. Both of those lads are big talents who will turn out to be good enough to play test rugby.

Four things aren't helping Murray at the moment, as I see it:
- playing inside ROG, who is a declining force and can only play one way in any case;
- playing behind a pack that is some way off its prime [lot of youngsters in there] and tends to have a hard time going forward against the better teams in Europe;
- the form of Eoin Reddan and Isaac Boss at a massively successful Leinster outfit, who are clearly playing well and offer legitimate options;
- and Declan Kidney's unwillingness to drop him, even when he plays very poorly [and he has had some very poor games for Ireland, notably the Welsh and Italy games in the 2012 Six Nations]
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Murray is losing out due to the lactluster recent heritage for scrum halves.

We're not good at assessing and understanding scrum halves. We can't easily take full advantage of a good one even if we find one. That's not a good environment for a raw young scrumhalf.
nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Post by nelly the elephant »

munster#1 wrote:
Barack Obama wrote:
I think.murray is fast becoming the new rog for leinster fans. With rog and doc not starting anymore for ireland, someone was bound to pick up the hate.

On a side note, i have been impressed by murray over the last few games. Since the racing game his passing has improved massively along with his decision making. He is fast becoming a very well rounded sh, not the finished artical, but not many sh's are in their 2nd pro season
and you wonder why a sizeable proportion of Leinster fans had/have an issue with him being parachuted into the Irish side before he's ready?
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

nelly the elephant wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

On a side note, i have been impressed by murray over the last few games. Since the racing game his passing has improved massively along with his decision making. He is fast becoming a very well rounded sh, not the finished artical, but not many sh's are in their 2nd pro season
and you wonder why a sizeable proportion of Leinster fans had/have an issue with him being parachuted into the Irish side before he's ready?
A scapegoat was required to cover up Sexton less than steller performances in a green jersey.

What the less blinkered think:
Conor Murray gives Gatland reason not to jump

But the greatest anti-depressant for Gatland must be the emergence of Conor Murray. It is very hard for the Lions to win a test series without a decent number nine. The ’71 and ’74 teams had the great Gareth Edwards, the ’89 team were driven by Robert Jones and in ’97 the underrated Matt Dawson made one of the key plays of the series.

Murray’s performance against Argentina suggested that he may become an important man in Gatland’s side. He is a strong lad and a decent defender, who often plays as a close-in sweeper, stepping forward to block the holes that oft appear in Ireland’s defence.

But particularly impressive at the weekend was Murray’s switches of direction with his pass and arcing flat runs to hold the opposition defence. Jonathan Sexton frequently stands far too deep at fly-half, but Murray is at last providing Ireland with some sort of sustained threat near the gain line.
http://www.therugbysite.com/blog_posts/ ... ark-reason