Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by ronk »

jezzer wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He may well end up better but I don't think that plonking him in as first choice ten the season after ROG retires is the way to go. Personally I'd give him plenty of game time at 12 and then the odd start at ten and let him finish games there too.

Think that's what they should have done this season and regardless of what position he played, they wasted a season.

I know it's been argued that his form didn't demand being picked but given his underage exploits and the fact that Munster's backs aren't exactly great, I don't see why he didn't play more.
It worked for Madigan. It worked for Jackson and arguably it worked for Keatley at Connacht.
Madigan and Jackson were eased in behind 1st choice players. They had a lot of responsibility, but they weren't expected to start Heineken Cup games with everyone fit.

Keatley is at a point where Munster should back him. He probably won't be off with Ireland so he should be good for a lot of game time. Hanrahan's development map would fit reasonably well with the gametime expected of him. Teams had to be built around O'Gara too much and that's something that can only be properly fixed in his absence.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

blockhead wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:for Musgrave's new stand "The project will be funded through existing capital development funds allocated to Musgrave Park, a National Lottery grant already in place, and the sale of a plot of land on the east side of the grounds (playing areas are unaffected)."

There's more than just money when it comes to signings
Rocky could have gone to France or Japan for a year
Howlett could have gone to Agen or Bayonne for more money

some guys will value winning trophies, playing big games like HC and Munster v Leinster, playing in front of big crowds/busy stadiums (relatively speaking), Irish culture, English speaking country
or you could be Digby Ioane and be only motivated by money
And the sunshine SOKS, the sunshine.
The wimmin.
E1 for a good bottle of vine, from a vineyard.
mightnt apply to too many players but have a feeling the weekly players bible group at Ulster better than the one in Toulon :wink:
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

ronk wrote:
jezzer wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He may well end up better but I don't think that plonking him in as first choice ten the season after ROG retires is the way to go. Personally I'd give him plenty of game time at 12 and then the odd start at ten and let him finish games there too.

Think that's what they should have done this season and regardless of what position he played, they wasted a season.

I know it's been argued that his form didn't demand being picked but given his underage exploits and the fact that Munster's backs aren't exactly great, I don't see why he didn't play more.
It worked for Madigan. It worked for Jackson and arguably it worked for Keatley at Connacht.
Madigan and Jackson were eased in behind 1st choice players. They had a lot of responsibility, but they weren't expected to start Heineken Cup games with everyone fit.

Keatley is at a point where Munster should back him. He probably won't be off with Ireland so he should be good for a lot of game time. Hanrahan's development map would fit reasonably well with the gametime expected of him. Teams had to be built around O'Gara too much and that's something that can only be properly fixed in his absence.
Madigan got a lot of game time early on, back when he was competing with McKinley for Rabo games. As soon as iHumph was pushed aside, Jackson was the main guy at 10.

I agree they should start with Keatley, but I disagree that the young 10s around the country have been eased in slowly.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Great interview with ROG. I was never his greatest fan while he was playing but now that's all in the past (:)) I was pretty impressed.

http://balls.ie/rugby/ronan-ogara-five-live-rugby/
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Do you think Munster could win a HC next year with JJ or Keatley at ten?
I don't think that is where their problem is. Ketley came along a fair bit this year. Its outside him they have the problem in my view. Conway will help but they need better centres.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rona ... 32952.html

ROG believes circumstances and Deccie meant he didn't make the Lions tour....he actually felt he was in with a shout... :roll:
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

tones wrote:http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rona ... 32952.html

ROG believes circumstances and Deccie meant he didn't make the Lions tour....he actually felt he was in with a shout... :roll:
Farrell's there and I don't think he's exactly had too many standout plays this season. ROG definitely can control a game better, great from the tee and has a far cooler head. So while I wouldn't have ROG there myself I can see where he's coming from.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Plus Gatland seems to hate Flood for some reason
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

TerenureJim wrote:

Farrell's there and I don't think he's exactly had too many standout plays this season. ROG definitely can control a game better, great from the tee and has a far cooler head. So while I wouldn't have ROG there myself I can see where he's coming from.
Yeah his form over over the year definitely meant he was a candidate alright..
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

In fairness, ROG was on the the radio during the week saying that he realistically didn't believe he had a chance, but still watched with a slight hope.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

In all fairness to the great man, he did say he thought at the start of the season it was a possibility, I would be very surprised if darce, Ross, Ryan, doc etc didn't think the same. I think every sports person would dream a bit. The dream may be to make a j1 team, win a cap, or in Rog's case play for the lions, it's part of being involved in sport, it allows you to set goals, or have a belief that what most people would consider impossible, possible.

I like most am very impressed by his attitude post retirement, he has handled himself very well.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

munster#1 wrote:In all fairness to the great man, he did say he thought at the start of the season it was a possibility, I would be very surprised if darce, Ross, Ryan, doc etc didn't think the same. I think every sports person would dream a bit. The dream may be to make a j1 team, win a cap, or in Rog's case play for the lions, it's part of being involved in sport, it allows you to set goals, or have a belief that what most people would consider impossible, possible.

I like most am very impressed by his attitude post retirement, he has handled himself very well.
I dont buy into this "Great man" stuff. A fine player and one of the best No 10's Ireland ever had. Good luck to him.
Oulart
Learner

Post by Oulart »

must say ROG is not a banal read. could carve out a niche for himself